Show off your graphics!

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

TheLordThyGod wrote:Need to keep working on my run animations
The legs and arms need to move too. Try making the arm swinging back shorter and also darker to emulate foreshortening, and the arm swinging forward a bit longer and more in front. Same concept with the legs.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Foxley wrote:
TheLordThyGod wrote:Need to keep working on my run animations
The legs and arms need to move too. Try making the arm swinging back shorter and also darker to emulate foreshortening, and the arm swinging forward a bit longer and more in front. Same concept with the legs.
Might also be worth trying some head-bobbing

Those big adorable bobble-heads would probably bob very nicely :)
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Post by TheLordThyGod »

I revisited my sprite template, added some vertical movement, and changed the feet a bit.

I could still probably stand to do some tweaking to the arms.
Attachments
dummy.jpg
dummy.jpg (144.39 KiB) Viewed 4929 times
...spake The Lord Thy God.
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Post by TheLordThyGod »

TMC wrote:Wha, this isn't for LinearQuest, surely?
No, I don't know what (if anything) these will be used for. I'm trying to get better at pixel art and develop a system for churning it out so no future projects have to look like LQ.
...spake The Lord Thy God.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Arms (usually) swing forward and backwards OPPOSITE to the motion of the legs in the regular gait of a normal human walk.
Note, everybody. *cough* *coughing because the sprites that come with the engine have the arms and legs swinging on the same side in the same direction at the same time which is frankly appalling and inexcusable but they're cute so I'm conflicted*
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

Been working on adding a bunch of new stuff to my set of 8-bit graphics. 20 more enemy sprites, 25 new weapons, 35 more attack animations -- and that's just the new additions that are done. I'm working on more hero and walkabout sprites now (16 more hero sprite sets have already been finished, so it's mostly walkabouts for some of the new enemies that I'll need to add in before I can post the updated file.)

Here's a preview of some of the new hero sprites... playable monsters! (also included: elves, dwarves, and fat traveling merchant guys with silly hats.)
Attachments
8bit.gif
8bit.gif (25.67 KiB) Viewed 4843 times
Last edited by FnrrfYgmSchnish on Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Those sprites look great and have a lot of character. I need to see them doing the thriller dance.

Here is a crone I made recently:
Attachments
Crone
Crone
crone.png (6.76 KiB) Viewed 4837 times
vvight.wordpress.com
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

FnrrfYgmSchnish wrote:Been working on adding a bunch of new stuff to my set of 8-bit graphics. 20 more enemy sprites, 25 new weapons, 35 more attack animations -- and that's just the new additions that are done. I'm working on more hero and walkabout sprites now (16 more hero sprite sets have already been finished, so it's mostly walkabouts for some of the new enemies that I'll need to add in before I can post the updated file.)

Here's a preview of some of the new hero sprites... playable monsters! (also included: elves, dwarves, and fat traveling merchant guys with silly hats.)
Wonderful! I'm looking forward to using the elves and dwarves and stuff especially.

How much effort did I waste by doing werewolf and raccoon guy hero sprites on my own?
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

A new jungle tileset for the village in my current game project.

Any ideas what to add the village to make it look more inhabited?
I've never been anywhere near a jungle, that maked designing it a bit of guessing around.
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

Usually they have some stuff outside the huts, like spears and gathering bowls. Depends on what stuff they don't need inside their huts. That, and they usually have a dirt ground area, something about either bugs or fast growing vegetation I think.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Try adding something(s) communal that people are using together. Maybe they're tanning hides, or crafting weapons, or tending a fire/cooking. Things for NPCs to do instead of just hanging around. People rarely just hang out and do nothing.

(Looks great though!)
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

Thanks for your great ides! :)
That's really helpful to improve the map.

Here is the improved version of the map:
A statue for revovering the heros.

The village with NPCs and tools.

The garden with fern to hide monsters/battles.
Last edited by marionline on Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spazman
Slime Knight

Post by Spazman »

I.. uh.. Return?

It's been a while.

Also; the above is entirely created using the stock OHRRPGCE palette.
Last edited by Spazman on Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

@marionline:
I never noticed your updated maps, somehow! They look really good. The village definitely looks more populated and lively. The level of detail and diversity among the graphics and objects makes it much more interesting to look at and (I'm sure) more interesting to explore. I like the statue particularly. You might consider making it stand out even more since it appears to be an important game object. If it recovers heroes, then there's clearly some significant narrative and mechanic purpose to it. The cups(?) around it are a nice touch, but I'd go even further. Make unique trees around it, a water feature, markings on the ground, I don't know. Tell the player explicitly through the presentation that THIS THING IS IMPORTANT. Make it the center of an entire shrine or temple or something. It looks super cool; you should give it more recognition to support that.

@thespazztikone:
I didn't piece together that you'd made that using Neo's palette. That's really impressive! I always love seeing how uniquely that palette can be used. There are a lot of great artists here who definitely make effective use of it like this. The hue shift of the purple shade you used for the shadow color is real nice, but I like the stark primary colors as well. Usually you hear the advice that using fully saturated colors is bad practice, but it' obviously a stylistic choice here, and I don't question it.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Xer0.the.Dark
Slime

Post by Xer0.the.Dark »

Still practicing, to be honest...but I'm definitely improving!! :) This art is from my current project. I had to start it over from scratch...because I didn't follow any of the warnings to back up my work...and my previous laptop died. :/ At least now I'll be more careful, right?
Attachments
Default Male Player (appearance can be changed in game :) )
Default Male Player (appearance can be changed in game :) )
PlayerCharacterMale1.png (5.32 KiB) Viewed 4346 times
Default Female Player (appearance can be changed in game :) )
Default Female Player (appearance can be changed in game :) )
PlayerCharacterFemale1.png (7.6 KiB) Viewed 4346 times
One of the NPCs. She's an Elf Librarian. :)
One of the NPCs. She's an Elf Librarian. :)
LibraryElf1.png (6.25 KiB) Viewed 4346 times
First attempt at armor...still a WIP...
First attempt at armor...still a WIP...
SolArmor1.png (11.12 KiB) Viewed 4346 times
HUD/UI attempt...still a WIP...
HUD/UI attempt...still a WIP...
HUD UI WIP.bmp (187.55 KiB) Viewed 4346 times
A title screen for a different project...not the final version.
A title screen for a different project...not the final version.
LackofLegacyTitle.png (10.46 KiB) Viewed 4346 times
And finally...my first custom palette!!
And finally...my first custom palette!!
Xer0sCustomOHRPalette.bmp (75.05 KiB) Viewed 4347 times