Show off your graphics!

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

A sketch for each hero/main character.
(Hopefully the forum's image upload works.)
Edit (again): Now with colors! (And images that are visible in the forum.)
What do you think? :)
Attachments
heros
heros
chars.png (322.82 KiB) Viewed 848 times
Last edited by marionline on Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Valkayree
Slime

Post by Valkayree »

Just some stuff from something I'm working on.

Attachments
ice.jpg
ice.jpg (463.47 KiB) Viewed 852 times
cent.jpg
cent.jpg (136.87 KiB) Viewed 844 times
fire.jpg
fire.jpg (575.34 KiB) Viewed 856 times
sheamkennedy
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by sheamkennedy »

Valkayree wrote:Just some stuff from something I'm working on.
I really like the graphics overall and think they give off a serious/realistic RPG vibe. That being said I think the centaur's eyes look a little cartoonish in the battle graphic and I think you could play around with them to make them fit the overall vibe of the rest of your graphics. Maybe horizontal or vertical narrowing of the eyes might work, or try antialiasing with the a darker skin tone.

Also I'm curious, are you going to make a code for the snowy area to leave footprints/hoofprints behind the character? I really think you should. It would be an easy (each step) script to accomplish and would look pretty great too!
Last edited by sheamkennedy on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
⊕ P E R S O N A L M U S I C: https://open.spotify.com/album/6fEo3fCm5C3XhtFRflfANr
� C O L L A B M U S I C: https://dustpuppets.bandcamp.com/releases
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Wow, it's cool to see someone like you back after so long. They all come back :) Is that a cameo appearance, or is this EotE-related? I like your ice map and your lava.

Also, dumb question, but are you using Dwimmercrafty? It seems you're not using the gfx_sdl backend (which is the default in Dwimmercrafty) since it's restricted to 320x200; did you change back to gfx_directx?

marionline:
Oh, those look really great coloured in! Especially the first three. It's hard to see Rayo's face, which seems unfortunate. But I guess you intended that. And, think maybe the let shoulder (our point of view) should be further back (more behind the body). It looks a bit awkward.
Last edited by TMC on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Valkayree
Slime

Post by Valkayree »

I really like the graphics overall and think they give off a serious/realistic RPG vibe. That being said I think the centaur's eyes look a little cartoonish in the battle graphic and I think you could play around with them to make them fit the overall vibe of the rest of your graphics. Maybe horizontal or vertical narrowing of the eyes might work, or try antialiasing with the a darker skin tone.

Also I'm curious, are you going to make a code for the snowy area to leave footprints/hoofprints behind the character? I really think you should. It would be an easy (each step) script to accomplish and would look pretty great too!
Thanks I'll try that. I've got cleaning up to do on graphics. It never was my strong suit. Ive been trying to get away with zero plotscripting and havent done it so far. I rely heavily on tags and layers. Snow effect like footprints do intrigue me though, ill think about it.
Valkayree
Slime

Post by Valkayree »

TMC wrote:Wow, it's cool to see someone like you back after so long. They all come back :) Is that a cameo appearance, or is this EotE-related? I like your ice map and your lava.

Also, dumb question, but are you using Dwimmercrafty? It seems you're not using the gfx_sdl backend (which is the default in Dwimmercrafty) since it's restricted to 320x200; did you change back to gfx_dir
That explains a ton. Seems I've been working a while under a big limitation. The eote stuff is cameo but it fits the story. You have to unlock him.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Hey Valkayree,

Good to see you back here again. Your games were pretty solid despite the OHR's many limitations back in the day, and it'll be interesting to see what you can pull off with the engine's current features.

I wanted to chime in quickly to let you know that since 2010, we've been doing a biannual contest called Heart of the OHR, which focuses mainly on the classic RPG (with caveats, as you'll see if you track the contest's history), and we'll be doing another one in 2018, probably starting in May. Although I encourage all OHR designers to release their games whenever they're ready, I wanted to let you know that if you finish or release during the contest window (generally runs about five to six months), your game, if it's an RPG, will be eligible to join (read: drafted in). This is good news because Heart of the OHR comes with prizes, and some of them are even good.

It works on a release window, not a start and finishing date like contests of old, which means you can submit games you've been working on for years, and it encourages developers to put "heart" into their games, or their heart back into it. If you want more information (and this is an invitation to everyone reading who doesn't know what I'm talking about), feel free to PM me. I'll be hyping it more as we get closer to the open window period, but I know you've been gone for a while, and you probably don't know about it, so I wanted to make sure you did. I'm the coordinator of the contest, so ask me anything you want about it and I'll do my best to answer.

The contest has been linked to some of the best games we've had in the last decade, and if you have time, I'd recommend trying some of them out, especially since many of them do an awesome job showing off how the engine has evolved. It might give you ideas for some neat tricks, too.

Oh, and on another note, we still don't have battlescripting. You probably figured that out. ;)

Welcome back.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
marionline
Metal Slime

Post by marionline »

marionline:
Oh, those look really great coloured in! Especially the first three. It's hard to see Rayo's face, which seems unfortunate. But I guess you intended that. And, think maybe the let shoulder (our point of view) should be further back (more behind the body). It looks a bit awkward.
@TMC: Thanks for the praise and the hint about Rayo's shoulder. :)
It's hard to spot one's own mistakes. I'll try to fix it!
Mammothstuds
Slime Knight

Re: My protagonists walk about

Post by Mammothstuds »

TMC wrote:Wow! Impressive. Bu the different sizes, looks like they're from different projects. Are you actively working on Mirrored Soul Gaiden, or another game?
Mirrored Soul Gaiden is pretty much on hiatus, and has been for a while :/
Truth be told I haven't been working in OHRRPGCE for quite some time - college and stuff is getting in the way. That said, I'm working on a different game project which is quite ambitious.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

I was frustrated at not having a web connection and the eventual death of the computer I was making my other OHR projects on recently (fortunately I sent most of the important files to DropBox), so I opened up an old joke game from like 2011 (it was a self-mockery of Nintento Quest) and decided to replace the Rurouni Catholic sprites with a new hero.

From there, I decided I'd rather use these sprites in another game entirely and it spiraled into a new project entirely.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

Some more stuff. Gotta start making this into something playable soon, that's for sure.
Attachments
Gotta find some room in this set for some more decorative stuff; this bit here's a bit plain still.
Gotta find some room in this set for some more decorative stuff; this bit here's a bit plain still.
beyondthedoor0017.png (31.92 KiB) Viewed 3886 times
Need to draw up some more backgrounds beyond this generic one.
Need to draw up some more backgrounds beyond this generic one.
beyondthedoor0014.png (22.21 KiB) Viewed 3886 times
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

I've been having fun
Attachments
A familiar sword
A familiar sword
snoopingas0017.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 3876 times
The bear is really fun to design and write. The goofball at the top is an edit of a sprite set I did back in like...2006.
The bear is really fun to design and write. The goofball at the top is an edit of a sprite set I did back in like...2006.
snoopingas0013.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 3876 times
Classic OHR hero!
Classic OHR hero!
snoopingas hero set 4.bmp (5.12 KiB) Viewed 3876 times
Last edited by Nathan Karr on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Post by TheLordThyGod »

Working on my sprite art
Attachments
3 characters.jpg
3 characters.jpg (36.54 KiB) Viewed 3857 times
...spake The Lord Thy God.
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Post by TheLordThyGod »

Need to keep working on my run animations
Attachments
Spothead-run.gif
Spothead-run.gif (4.76 KiB) Viewed 3856 times
...spake The Lord Thy God.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Wha, this isn't for LinearQuest, surely?