Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Rue
Slime Knight

Post by Rue »

Hey Guo, that looks great. Keep it up!
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Thanks! Im really happy with how theyre turning out.
vvight.wordpress.com
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I did a mock-up of the raccoon brawler game idea that was in the thread that became the Swordplay shitpost thread.
Attachments
Chill Bro0014.png
Chill Bro0014.png (8.18 KiB) Viewed 6130 times
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

YOu madman!! Send a playable when you can. I'm interested.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Hollyhart1
Red Slime

Post by Hollyhart1 »

This goes to the 8-bit game I'm working on:

FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

Nice!

Has a very NES Final Fantasy-ish feel to it (the world map especially), but with some Dragon Warrior-esque aspects mixed in (sprites not having black outlines, and the shops/etc. being "actual size" on the map rather than having doors with separate maps for them.) Seems like enough of a blend that it feels like its own thing while also referencing the look of the classics.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
Hollyhart1
Red Slime

Post by Hollyhart1 »

Thank you. That was what I was going for. I do want it to be my own style but an homage to classics as well.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Hollyhart1 wrote:This goes to the 8-bit game I'm working on:

Beautiful. I love it and look forward to playing it. 8-bit OHR stuff has been my favorite since the initial release of the Spellshard demo in 2003. Back then making NPCs or heroes walk in place needed a plotscript!

My favorite touch is the innkeeper reaching arms over the counter instead of standing like a foot or two behind it.

Most of my last half dozen games have been like 60-90% Fnrrf's 8-bit graphics pack with me drawing or editing a few things here and there as needed. I don't think I can get tired of it, aesthetically. My current project is instead using his older sprite set released in the HamsterSpeak magazine and whatever spare 8-bit sprites I had lying around from my own games as a self-imposed challenge (mostly just to round out the Small/Medium enemy sprite options a bit).
Attachments
The enchantress simply does not attack physically. She considers it demeaning to her wand to treat it like a club.
The enchantress simply does not attack physically. She considers it demeaning to her wand to treat it like a club.
aaa0019.png (9.91 KiB) Viewed 6037 times
The cleric is indispensable for dispensing with the undead.
The cleric is indispensable for dispensing with the undead.
aaa0018.png (9.77 KiB) Viewed 6037 times
If you just hold down the spacebar, each character will do his class's main action, not necessarily attack.
If you just hold down the spacebar, each character will do his class's main action, not necessarily attack.
aaa0017.png (10.11 KiB) Viewed 6037 times
Warrior's battle menu looks pretty normal.
Warrior's battle menu looks pretty normal.
aaa0016.png (9.5 KiB) Viewed 6037 times
The full overworld.
The full overworld.
aaa0015.png (24.43 KiB) Viewed 6037 times
Last edited by Nathan Karr on Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

Been putting together a bunch of stuff that's beyond where the to-be-released FS demo ends.
Attachments
Ice cave
Ice cave
falsesky0202.png (23.94 KiB) Viewed 5883 times
Marshlands
Marshlands
falsesky0186.png (28.38 KiB) Viewed 5883 times
The obligatory warp puzzle
The obligatory warp puzzle
falsesky0182.png (15.74 KiB) Viewed 5883 times
Train
Train
falsesky0161.png (23.05 KiB) Viewed 5883 times
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Right now its filename is just "new RPG" and I don't really know where I'm going with it. So far it's surprisingly light on the 8-bit Graphics Set (I have two heroes' sprites heavily derived from it and may add more), re-using assets from a bunch of my other games instead (including the slime, soldier, bubble, ghost, and skeleton sprites from A Quest).

I'm definitely having fun with the graphics part, though. I plan on releasing these assets to the public domain for newbies to work with.

So what I'm starting to think is to make this game one where you get a basic happy face as your main character, then you choose a duo of other heroes that are usually a warrior type of some sort and a mage (Wolf and Zera, Bob and Misa, Nathan and Natalie, Styrge and Frumpy, Aine and Tendo). I've wanted to make a game full of OHR cameos/references for a long time but usually get hung up on either trying to make their skillsets too accurate or wanting to give specific games too much/too little representation. Or get caught up on making "basic" characters using every available sprite in Fnrrf's 8-bit set and then trying to define various heroes as copies of these.
Attachments
new RPG0011.gif
new RPG0011.gif (147.73 KiB) Viewed 5826 times
new RPG0010.png
new RPG0010.png (4.54 KiB) Viewed 5826 times
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Dusted off some sprites from my older canceled games to see if there's anything I can use.

Here we have Gelatin Man, Lamental, Second Worst Nightmare, Car, Instrumental, Accidental, Incidental, Sacramental, Exponential, Experimental, Environmental.

Gelatin Man is [spoiler]a combination of Negative Man from Mother 3 and Jelly Jiggler from Bobobo Bo Bo Bobo (one of my all-time favorite anime series)[/spoiler]

Lamental is a 2012-2015 reimagining of my original 2002 monster [spoiler]the joke being that instead of "an elemental" it is "a lamental" and thus a depressed fire giant[/spoiler]

Second Worst Nightmare is [spoiler]a piece of kitchen equipment I wounded myself with multiple times during my eight years working for Sonic Drive-In, and developed a strong aversion to. https://www.webstaurantstore.com/choice ... 875TS.html[/spoiler]

The other seven Mentals are of course just following the path of "Name based on rhyming with 'elemental', rest of design derived from name". The majority of them were designed in 2015, Environmental being a bit more recent [spoiler]once I was exposed to Megaman Sprite Game, he's basically based on Mountain Man[/spoiler]

I keep thinking of more names for "Mentals" but forgetting them before I get a chance to note it down or doodle them. Continental could be one, but how would I distinguish his appearance from Environmental? Make him have a globe for a head, maybe? [spoiler]Excremental[/spoiler] is another option; a significant portion of my fanbase might have it as a favorite if I drew it.
Attachments
Nathan Quest0012.png
Nathan Quest0012.png (10.59 KiB) Viewed 5796 times
Hollyhart1
Red Slime

Post by Hollyhart1 »

These are my fully free, public domain tilesets. I thought I'd show them off here as well. But you can find them on the Wiki.

The reason behind some tiles being darker copies is because of an effect I created in my game. You can see it above when I originally posted.

Actually you can see the effect here:

Last edited by Hollyhart1 on Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Those are great! What's the wiki page you put them on?
Hollyhart1
Red Slime

Post by Hollyhart1 »

RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Hollyhart, your 8bit art is beautiful. It will make for a very nice looking Nathan Karr game for sure since you're sharing the assets!