OHR Game of the Year 2008

Announcements that go here will appear on the front page.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

OHR Game of the Year 2008

Post by The Wobbler »

With 2008 over, it's time to look back at some of the games released and determine what we thought the best ones were. I've compiled a list using HamsterSpeak News sections from the last twelve months, but if I've missed any titles or if anything doesn't fit let me know. I skipped Blob Tale due to it being a virus and not a game, and only included one version of games that received multiple updates (OHR House, Vikings, YO GHOST, etc).

Here's how to vote: Look at the following list and choose up to ten of your favorite games of 2008. The top three games will receive four, three, and two points accordingly. 4th-10th place, if you choose to include them, will receive one each. You can vote for your own game. You can't vote for games that weren't released/didn't receive a significant update in 2008.

Post your votes here, or in the threads on the other forums, or PM me. You can also e-mail your votes to me by my HamsterSpeak e-mail address. Don't IM the votes to me, that's silly and I'll lose them.

Feel free to explain your choices. You don't have to, but it could make for some FUN FILLER on the sidelines!

Results will be tallied and posted in the February 09 HamsterSpeak. Editing your votes is fine. The deadline for voting will be the 25th, at which point no votes can be altered.

If there are any other categories you think should be voted on aside from "Best Game" let me know. For some reason I really don't feel like having a "Worst Game of 2008" vote, even though there are a few clear contenders. THINK POSITIVE.

And now, the games:

Alexandria by Nathan Karr
Antagonist by MenosTorpe
Attack Fish Chronicles Volume I: The Omega (Complete version) by Meatballsub
Bad Fellows: Knife Edition by Shizuma and Gizmog
Beath of Flams by Bengrande
Bloodlust 0.64 by Only One in All
Bubble Breaker (Tech Demo) by Twin Hamster
Chocobo's Final Fantasy by Chaotix
Curse of Vampire by Moogle
Dragon Ball Z: The Saiyan Prince by Awful Waffle
Escape from Darkavern by TwinHamster
Fatal Maze by Rya Reisender
Final Fantasi XXX Legaci by Hachi
Gauntlets of the Dragon by Scython Reaper
Gerania by Rya Reisender
Hedgemaze by Newbie Newtype
House Escape by Spoon Weaver
I Made Dis Too by Gilbert
Jailbreak by Aethereal and Mr. J
Jimmy's Vacation by SDHawk and Sew
Loser Man by Spoon Weaver
Mama by arpgme
Moonlight by Dragonblood
Mr. Triangle's Maze by RMZ
Negative Blood Shot by Nexty
Night of 10,000 Bullets by Twin Hamster
OHR House - Season Kitty by OOIA
OHR House 3 by JSH
OHR House: Heroes by RMZ
Salad Quest: An 8-bit Adventure by Blue Train
Sapphire Flames by DragonBlood
Scare Spree 2008 by RMZ and Moogle
Sonic Trash by arpgme
Super Walrus House by Surlaw
superawesomegameyayz by the_dude257
Surf's Up Yuk by RMZ & Worthy
Surlaw Armageddon (11/2008 Release) by Surlaw
Tales of the New World II by msw188
Terrible Game Review by Only One in All
The Adventures of Koiu by SpexsTurtle990
The Adventures of Mikey T by Meatballsub
The Dark Dungeon by Twin Hamster
The Game without a Name by No Shot
The Goblin Prince by Chill-E
The Grim by Scython Reaper
The Young Sage by Wapam
Thella by NeoSpade
Timestream Saga - Arcadia Incident Report by Fenrir-Lunaris
Timpoline by Moogle
Vikings of Midgard (Xocolotl+ Edition) by Fenrir-Lunaris
Visio: Escape from MaskMaker's Tower by Twin Hamster
Wow, This is Awesome! (With sound) by Machu
Xerion by Madsoft Games
Yo Ghost the Beggining by Lord Fyroa
Last edited by The Wobbler on Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

1. OHR House Heroes
2. Surf's Up Yuk
3. OHR House 3
4. Timpoline
5. Scare Spree
6. Super Walrus House
7. Vikings of Midgard
8. Surlaw Armageddon
9. Bloodlust
10. Timestream Saga - Arcadia Incident Report
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

1. OHR House 3 by JSH
I put a lot of work in to this game (Week 7 still on the way...) and I hope it shows. It's definitely my favorite of the three games, and in spite of the fact that it's my own game, my favorite OHR game of the year.

2. I Made Dis Too by Gilbert
This game gave me exactly what I wanted, even though it was a bit short. Gilbert's still a joke game god.

3. Attack Fish Chronicles Volume I: The Omega (Complete version) by Meatballsub

While I might be overrating this and I have not even finished it, it makes me so happy to see a complete RPG for the OHR that I can't place this any lower. This game also has creative VISION, and pretty well-executed vision at that, which I value highly.

4. Surf's Up Yuk by RMZ & Worthy

Short and not very deep, but it's one of the funnest romps of the year. You'll leave it with a smile on your face, and it's an excellent tribute to Super Walrus Chef.

5. Escape from Darkavern by TwinHamster

Pretty well-handled foray into the Roguelike genre, with a sense of humor to boot. I'll have my eye on future Twinhamster games for sure.

6. The Adventures of Mikey T by Meatballsub

Another selection from Divine Bovine. This game has an urban atmosphere unparalleled in the OHR game universe. In spite of its shortcomings, it was one of the most interesting games of the year.

7. Jimmy's Vacation by SDHawk and Sew

Cool plotscripting, excellently veiled joke.

8. Jailbreak by Aethereal and Mr. J

It's a plotscripting wonder, but I don't enjoy playing it really. Respect, though.

9. Timpoline by Moogle

Same here.

10. Dragon Ball Z: The Saiyan Prince by Awful Waffle

This game is off to a great start, and I really hope Awful Waffle will continue to update it. The styles system has definite potential, and it would be nice to play a GOOD Dragon Ball Z fangame.
Last edited by JSH357 on Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Of the list, I've played (and can remember)...
Beath of Flams by Bengrande
Bubble Breaker (Tech Demo) by Twin Hamster
Curse of Vampire by Moogle
Escape from Darkavern by TwinHamster
Fatal Maze by Rya Reisender
Jailbreak by Aethereal and Mr. J
Night of 10,000 Bullets by Twin Hamster
OHR House 3 by JSH
OHR House: Heroes by RMZ
Scare Spree 2008 by RMZ and Moogle
Super Walrus House by Surlaw
Timpoline by Moogle
I'm ashamed that this list is so small. I'm sure I missed out on many of the better releases. I feel like apologizing to all the games that aren't on this list that I know are good :(

So, without requiring much trimming, here's my top 10:

1. Escape from Darkavern by TwinHamster
Am I putting this here because it's the best game of 2008 or because I just want TwinHamster to continue it that badly? I don't know. All I know is that this game's peculiar brand of humor and tantalizing stats have endeared me to it permanently. TwinHamster, I would personally help you make another Darkavern game if you have lost the script, will, or way.

2. I Made Dis Too by Gilbert
I was fortunate enough to get a preview copy of IMDT. Gilbert wanted to bounce it off someone before he released it to the general public. Of course, it was perfect already. I told him so and the final release was unchanged.

3. OHR House 3 by JSH
My memory is fuzzy because it's been forever, but I think this was really great!

4. OHR House: Heroes by RMZ
See previous comment.

5. Surlaw Armageddon (11/2008 Release) by Surlaw
To my shame, I haven't played the November release. The older release I have played still qualifies for a top spot on this list, though.

6. Timpoline by Moogle
25 levels seems so long ago to me. There are 39 sitting on my computer right now, with bugfixes, better controls, and most importantly, less hassle as some of the worst offenders have been made slightly easier and the remaining levels can be freely skipped. Please keep your eye out for the full release if you got any enjoyment out of the demo version.

7. Curse of Vampire by Moogle
I'm oddly proud of this game. It inspired a contest that produced other great games; plus, it's got the 8-bit Castlevania aesthetic blended with old adventure games.

8. Beath of Flams by Bengrande
Bengrande showed up one day and released a demo of the game based on the famous (?) IAQ. Unless he mysteriously shows up again someday, that's the end of this game. It was fun while it lasted.

9. Fatal Maze by Rya Reisender
I don't know why this game got blasted like it did. Wait, yes I do. It's because of Rya.

10. Scare Spree 2008 by RMZ and Moogle
RMZ likes this game a heck of a lot more than I do. I thought the balance was better the first time around, but the re-release offers more variety.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

We sure could use more votes!

As I said, You don't have to vote for ten games. You can vote for as few as three. Surely most of the regulars here managed to play at least three games over the last year?
Mystic
Metal Slime

Post by Mystic »

Maybe I'll play a couple?

Here's what I have though:

1. Vikings of Midgard
2. Hedgemaze
3. I MADE DIS TOO

perhaps i should play more from 2008
JSH357
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by JSH357 »

How many games will be on the list? There's a lot of neat little games from this year that will probably only get 1-2 votes that I'd love to see showcased...
My website, the home of Motrya:
http://www.jshgaming.com
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Anything that's voted on by at least two people will probably get at least some mention.
Mazin
Slime Knight

Post by Mazin »

I played so few games last year it's just unforgivable. I'll try to catch up on some of the games I missed and add to this list before the deadline.

1. OHR House 3
2. OHR House: Heroes
3. Surf's Up Yuk
4. The Adventures of Mikey T
5. The Dark Dungeon
6. Jailbreak

Not that I expect anyone to vote for it, but I'm fairly certain that No_Shot's Game without a Name was actually released some years ago.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

I didn't play that many games this year, and that's a shame. There's been some pretty good ones so far, but there's also been some utter crap released. Frankly I tend to go by screen shots and Hamsterspeak reviews. That is, if you want me to play a game, at least make it look interesting / review it. You'll get slimebucks here AND get much more feedback from the community than you would otherwise.

1. Vikings of Midgard - I should release another demo of this showing the new content up until the final dungeon. I think I shot myself when I decided that every spell needs a subquest, and each NPC must have a portrait. NPCs are THAT important. But then that's why it got mentioned over and over in the NPC article in last Hamsterspeak. Play the game if you haven't already, but more importantly, read Hamsterspeak (and contribute).

2. OHR House Heroes - This one has honestly surprised me with how well it's done, and I look forward to each installment. Moreso than OHR House 3? The recurring enemies are the best!

3. Surf's Up Yuk - Walrus Chef meets Mr Triangle. Play it. Enjoy it. Belching is the key.
Uncommon
Metal Slime

Post by Uncommon »

Surlaw Armageddon (11/2008 Release) by Surlaw
Yay an update! Being the game's official #1 non-Brazilian fan, it'd be wrong not to give it the top spot. I playtested this!

Yay a sequel! This is a series that has alwys held a dear place in my heart. One of my favorite parts is how Elvis' extra hits interact with the Zombie King's death animation, like Elvis is bringing him back to life over and over so he can kill him again. I playtested this, too!

OHR House 3 by JSH
Yay we'll be patient! First game on this list that has benefited from my lack of participation. Instead of season two, where each episode was trying to one-up on the last until the stakes just got a little too high, we have a genuinely funny character-oriented show that implements and improves on the formulas of the past two seasons. Looking forward to the next episode.

Surf's Up Yuk by RMZ & Worthy
Yay a doppelganger! It basically took the general idea of Super Walrus Chef and made something different and fun with it.

Timpoline by Moogle
Yay a remake! A really cool idea. Hard as hell, but fun.

Yay a contest game! I actually liked this one better than Darkavern, actually. Less graphical, but still good times. I guess it's more an essentialized version?
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:... and each NPC must have a portrait. NPCs are THAT important...
Every NPC will have a portrait!? I am so proud of you I could cry ;)
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

POLL'S CLOSED. Results will be posted in HamsterSpeak 23.