wake up charles

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Re: wake up charles

Post by The Wobbler »

TMC wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:08 am What kind of animation improvements did you want, any aside from enemy attack animations? I had been meaning to do something on attacker animations soon, and it's always valuable to hear what people actually want.

Did you actually have problems with things disappearing near the screen edge at higher resolution? It seems that it doesn't happen as soon as you go beyond 320x200.
The main thing I was using a custom system for was a different position/appearance for menus/Hero displays, HP bars appearing over enemies when selected, and additional frames of animation for hero attacks.
The Furious Five - A team of villains corrupting the world of C. Kane 2. Each of them is themed after a classic movie monster. Here we see Frank the Frustrated, tired of waiting for his opponent's arrival.
The Furious Five - A team of villains corrupting the world of C. Kane 2. Each of them is themed after a classic movie monster. Here we see Frank the Frustrated, tired of waiting for his opponent's arrival.
MadMonster.png (41.03 KiB) Viewed 2020 times
The next member of The Furious Five, Alucardia the Annoyed, a grandma that lives off of the blood of youth. Spelled backwards, her name reveals a terrible secret!!
The next member of The Furious Five, Alucardia the Annoyed, a grandma that lives off of the blood of youth. Spelled backwards, her name reveals a terrible secret!!
AlucardiaAnnoyed.png (41.38 KiB) Viewed 2013 times
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

AI Dracula? Bone chilling!
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

The absolute worst kind of Da=racukld!!
Attachments
The Furious Five's most mysterious member: Mummers the Mad. A scientist with delusions of godhood who accidentally turned himself invisible. His anger grew when people kept walking into him. Now, he wears bandages to be seen.
The Furious Five's most mysterious member: Mummers the Mad. A scientist with delusions of godhood who accidentally turned himself invisible. His anger grew when people kept walking into him. Now, he wears bandages to be seen.
MummersThe Ma.png (41.26 KiB) Viewed 1995 times
The third member of the Furious Five: Algae the Angry, a pro wrestler desperate to prove his strength. Unfortunately, the potions used to make his muscles grow gave him a permanent rage.
The third member of the Furious Five: Algae the Angry, a pro wrestler desperate to prove his strength. Unfortunately, the potions used to make his muscles grow gave him a permanent rage.
AlgaeAngry.png (41.35 KiB) Viewed 2003 times
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

The team's all here!! These villains are definitely going to be deadly monsters. Can Jane defeat them all before they ruin her video game collection and also brainwash her classmates I guess?
Attachments
Feral the Furious, leader of The Furious Five. A seemingly ordinary man who, on the night of the full moon, transforms into a giant, cuddly dog. Seeing his cuteness as a curse, he turns to evil to find a cure.
Feral the Furious, leader of The Furious Five. A seemingly ordinary man who, on the night of the full moon, transforms into a giant, cuddly dog. Seeing his cuteness as a curse, he turns to evil to find a cure.
FeraltheFurious.png (42.71 KiB) Viewed 1982 times
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Work's been crazy so I've been way behind on Kane 2 progress, but here's a shot of Jane's room. Trash on the floor, a bed that's never made, and a beanbag chair, and a big cat: Living the good life.
Attachments
JaneRoom.PNG
JaneRoom.PNG (12.37 KiB) Viewed 1940 times
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Trying out some different shading with dark outlines. Improving Jane's side profile and animation. I'm very inexperienced with drawing human sprites!!
Attachments
Jane3.png
Jane3.png (19.19 KiB) Viewed 1915 times
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

So I'm thinking of a complete design overhaul where C. Kane 2 will look more like the original game. I'd keep the large sprites for portrait graphics and battles. See image for a new smaller Jane.

I haven't really been into this project as much as I expected to be. I don't want to abandon it yet, but I've run into a lot of walls.
Attachments
Jane20.png
Jane20.png (14.01 KiB) Viewed 1896 times
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

The smaller sprite is cute!

And if changing the style helps remove any of those walls, then that is a good thing
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Thanks!

The smaller sprite size makes it faster to make a lot more looks for each character, and something I wanted to do for this game was to have a lot of costume changes. Here are four different Jane looks.
Attachments
School, casual, just woke up, and hero outfits. Jane, like the best of us, wears a massively oversized Garfield t-shirt to bed.
School, casual, just woke up, and hero outfits. Jane, like the best of us, wears a massively oversized Garfield t-shirt to bed.
Janers.PNG (5.07 KiB) Viewed 1886 times
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Meet the people
Attachments
D.W., new art style
D.W., new art style
Wizard.png (12.07 KiB) Viewed 1868 times
Bigfeet
Bigfeet
Bigfeet.png (3.3 KiB) Viewed 1868 times
Three of Jane's classmates (based on Bob, Salom, and Suwanee) and a local beardman luchador who may or may not sell weapons on the side, it's a secret.
Three of Jane's classmates (based on Bob, Salom, and Suwanee) and a local beardman luchador who may or may not sell weapons on the side, it's a secret.
People.PNG (14.11 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Smaller style lends itself better to the artistic tone it looks like you're going for. It looks like you're going for a very monster-cute vibe, and them being more chibi helps convey that. The bigger monstrous sprites worked great in Walthros, they were all big goofy monsters. While there were cute endearing moments of the game, it didn't seem like you set out to make that game with the vibe I'm noticing from the Kane 2 sprites.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

While I've downsized most of the sprites I'm keeping the cats and dogs in the game gigantic. Cats should be big.
Attachments
Jane's mom, Jane's cat, and Jane's rival... or is she???
Jane's mom, Jane's cat, and Jane's rival... or is she???
NPCs.PNG (18.35 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

These little sprites are so good!

And the mega-cats and mega-dogs sounds like a wonderful idea.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Good and Evil
Attachments
Mr. Pepper - Chemistry teacher at Welles High. A well-liked but deeply unhappy teacher, known for his signature hairdo. When he’s not working, Mr. Pepper enjoys horseback riding.
Mr. Pepper - Chemistry teacher at Welles High. A well-liked but deeply unhappy teacher, known for his signature hairdo. When he’s not working, Mr. Pepper enjoys horseback riding.
FzAMNESWAA85A_2.png (1.3 KiB) Viewed 1814 times
The Monochrome Man - The villain
The Monochrome Man - The villain
Monochrome.png (8.63 KiB) Viewed 1814 times