Ridiculous Games Contest 2023: PJ/RMZ's Pizza Birthday OHR Contest

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

RMZ
King Slime

Re: Ridiculous Games Contest 2023: PJ/RMZ's Pizza Birthday OHR Contest

Post by RMZ »

Just a friendly reminder, there's less than a month to go for you to submit your games to the contest.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Pizza gift cards have been ordered.

Just a reminder, to post your submission in this thread and when you do mention what game you are pulling inspiration from/demaking so that we can research it for that portion of our scores. We can't assume any game on the game list is for the contest, so for your game to count towards this contest you need to post it here.

Not that I can win, but to lead by example, my entry is Digibeasts and it's a demake of the Tamagotchi Digimon game. You can play it here:

Looking forward to everybody's submissions and seeing how faithful your games are to what you're pulling from.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

whoa...

whoa... Giz has a Twitter account? You shouldn't dox people like that!

Great game, but it contains a lot of typos. You wrote this fanfic yourself, right? Seems like something you'd write. Hang on, it'll take me a while to type up the list.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

TMC wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:40 pm whoa...

whoa... Giz has a Twitter account? You shouldn't dox people like that!

Great game, but it contains a lot of typos. You wrote this fanfic yourself, right? Seems like something you'd write. Hang on, it'll take me a while to type up the list.
...but i don't want to fix typos...... :( :( :( :( :(

edit: ..................thank you

edit edit: I have censored giz's name and twitter account per request/suggestion
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Was I joking? Were you joking? Was Giz a joke or real? Nobody knows the answer to all these.

Ahh. Also, there are some bugs. Shame to detract from such an experience with bugs and typos.

spoiler:
There are some glitches with the crossbow, which don't make it any easier to beat the rat, which I haven't managed yet.
But I did manage to double-trigger the spinning cube scene at the moment of picking up the crossbow again (doubling up the NPC).
In NewGame+, selecting Party is broken.
At the end of one ending, the game freezes with an infinite loop (stuck script error inside a while loop inside a while loop) in novelEnding.

Actually it's not flawless, I got the sneak ending the first few times, which I found quite a disappointing ending. I was surprised there's actually a range of endings.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

TMC wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 2:34 pm I did manage to double-trigger the spinning cube scene
You what?!
EDIT: yea I have no idea how you did this. please share more on this bug.
TMC wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 2:34 pm In NewGame+, selecting Party is broken.
o rly... ok that should be easily fixable
EDIT: ah, I was carrying over the slice from the last scene which doesnt work in new game+, well that was easy to deal with
FIXED
TMC wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 2:34 pm At the end of one ending, the game freezes with an infinite loop (stuck script error inside a while loop inside a while loop) in novelEnding.
...you got to the end of the novel ending?! I'll admit I didn't actually test the ending of that ending.... ok I'll have to fix that
EDIT: ah I see what was wrong. for it to work I need to end with a space there so it sees it as a complete word, even though it's the last word.
FIXED
TMC wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 2:34 pm I got the sneak ending the first few times, which I found quite a disappointing ending
:( :( :( :(
EDIT: yea I guess I just need this one to show up less maybe. it was originally only going to show up if you spent an extra long time in that section of the game. But it seemed impossible to get at that point. But I would hate if someone got this as the first ending.... I think i'll add the extra requirement back in so this ending is seen less.
TMC wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 2:34 pm Shame to detract from such an experience with bugs and typos.
yea I thought I got them all. thanks for the list, i've never actually seen some of those listed
EDIT: yea going over the typo's now (not the ones in THAT ending (that is a large chore for another day)

Thank you!

EDIT: will be uploading the fixes later
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

EDIT: yea I have no idea how you did this. please share more on this bug.
Seems to be easy, I even quadruple triggered it. After the blue guy appears, pick up the crossbow and immediately press Left. This way the fire meter bar that normally appears after you pick it up doesn't appear, and the scene retriggers.

One reason I got that ending several times was I initially didn't try flipping all the different options in New Game+, I just used it to go to a specific scene. I didn't know there were multiple endings. It took quite a few attempts before I got any ending other than sneaking or partying. Making it too hard to get the sneak ending seems harsh though, then I would have just ended up with the partying ending 5+ times in a row before seeing anything else. I don't have a solution.

The type-in speed was a bit slow, so I held down Shift-Tab to get through it. The beginning seemed intentionally offputting, then ridiculous, then pretty engaging.

Typos (spoiler)
tyragedy
Preperations
to do wih you
interven
proceedures
Is "View in live feed of the simulation" intended?

Novel typos (quite a few instances of switching to present tense):
why aren't be
thrash into -> thrashes into
And the I don't
Will said tot he
Will move himself
an dark flame
a 500 gold
the how valid
as much as he though the guy -> thought
just gotten a hundred billion -> should be five hundred billion
he began transfer the
began to slow crawl
people where in her group
the money had made from
He has gone through -> had gone
<TAB>Most pending transactions (tab shows as an icon)
going tot he bank
go tot he bank
combed by flakey with
He enter the bank
said bank teller -> said the bank teller
he should still have the student plan as he has been a student for years. -> he shouldn't still have the student plan as he hadn't been a student for years.
was saying outside -> was standing outside
building up every since ->
Will logs off -> logged off
The bank has been implenmeted yet? -> hasn't
underlines it -> underlined it
(goals, ideas should be Goals, Ideas)
things he remembers -> remembered
that exists or ever existed -> that exist or ever existed
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

TMC wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:08 pm I even quadruple triggered it.
Ah, I see what's happening. ok, that wasn't TOO hard to fix.
TMC wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:08 pm Novel typos (quite a few instances of switching to present tense):
WOW!
Didn't expect this. This helps a ton! thank you!
And yes, I was teetering between which tense to write it in and clearly that indecision affected how I typed several parts out. Looks like I missed a health dose of "tot he"s too. thank you

NEW VERSION AVAILABLE!
NOW WITH LESS TYPOS AND BUGS!!!
viewtopic.php?t=8379
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

I'll be downloading everything Sunday morning, so if anybody has newer versions of the game, the one I pick up Sunday before PJ gets to my house will be what we use for the stream. I'm personally not going to play any entries until then. Looking forward to all the games.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Sunday morning? Oh no, now I really don't have time; I haven't even started yet! I thought helping out Bena would take a day but the bugs in my scripts are endless. I'm going to need on extension on your birthdays. A month would be ideal; you see how long doing things properly takes. Does anyone else have a birthday they want to celebrate with demade games or pizza?

(And then Dante put me to shame by declaring they started yesterday, finishing up an old project.)
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

The contest has been active since February. As much as I'd love to extend it, we're gonna run with it as planned. Unless anybody else submits anything Sunday morning Spoonweaver will win BOTH prizes by default.

Reminder, all games entered are eligible for the 50 dollar gift card. Only complete games can be entered for the 20 dollar raffle. The raffle is random and not based on points at all, so even if your game is 5 minutes long, you calling it complete enters it. Demos can't be entered for this.

I got the beers and PJ is picking up the pizzas Sunday. We're gonna have a great time playing these games. A firm time hasn't been set yet, but I suspect it'll be around 7pm EST for the stream. When we finalize that plan I'll let you guys know.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

You always take everything I say totally seriously! I know I'm not getting an extension. I'm astonished how badly I mismanaged time. Well, at least my game with Bena is something to be proud of, but it's not my joke. Looking forward to seeing you play it.

Arti told me Outside isn't an entry for this contest. Several games I thought were going to be entered either aren't actually entrants or aren't done.
Bluefeather42
Red Slime

Post by Bluefeather42 »

I wasn't able to make anything, due to some non-game projects taking up my time.

I know this won't be legal, since it's not a game, but in the spirit of the contest, I present a pale imitation of what Hati's Bizarre Adventure would look like if the graphics were done by the greatest artist of all time, Gary Larson.

I apologize, and I'll show myself out now.
ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

Announcing Roller Toaster Cytoon (subject to updates up until the judges play it)

viewtopic.php?t=8383
Attachments
RCT0000.png
RCT0000.png (206.01 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
Do you make love with the same urgency you make games?