Ridiculous Games Contest 2023: PJ/RMZ's Pizza Birthday OHR Contest

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

RMZ
King Slime

Ridiculous Games Contest 2023: PJ/RMZ's Pizza Birthday OHR Contest

Post by RMZ »

The task of tradition has been passed to me for 2023. This is the new RGC.

PJ and myself have a shared birthday and have decided to use that for the contest. All games must be made based on non-OHR games but made in the OHR with your own unique spin on it. It doesn't have to be a famous game, doesn't have to be a long game, but it must exist in a form where we can watch a video on it or play it briefly to get a feel for it if we aren't already familiar with it. Don't Eat Soap is the perfect example of this. It's James Paige's version of Bubble Bobble. A vital part of the contest is you must not lose what you base your game on and you cannot make it the exact same as what's been done before.

EDIT: To expand on this and clear up anything. Your game can be a port, parody, demake as long as what you are doing so of is a clear representation to us. It doesn't need to be faithful, but the representation must be clear to us what it's of so we can base the scores on it. If in the Bubble Bobble situation for Don't Eat Soap James had labelled it as a representation of Oregon Trail, it wouldn't be eligible for the 50 points.

The judging will be done by PJ and myself on Sunday, 5/28. All games to be submitted midnight of that day. PJ and I will be eating pizza and playing these games and giving live scores sometime in the evening with it ending by or before 10pm EST. We'll figure out a way to stream live so people can see it, as not everyone is a discord member. PJ and myself can reward a game with 50 points each (max a game can get is 100). 25 points are set for how faithful the game feels to the original and 25 for how fun the game actually is.

You are encouraged to use original assets, but using ripped art or music is acceptable.

The top prize winner will get a large pizza delivered to their home. It can be as extravagant of a pizza as you can imagine. All entrants that produce a completed game and not demos will be entered for a chance to win gift cards for pizza. Nothing inspires people like pizza we hope, and it can hopefully encourage you to at the very least create a full experience!

Neither PJ or myself can win the contest, but we will both be entering.

Finally, as requested, there is a way to transfer your points if you wish. If you choose to do this, half of your rewarded points can be assigned to another team. This can only happen twice per team. The maximum a game can get is still 100. In the event of a tie, a game with the fewest transfer point instances will be the winner (a game with no transfers that gets 100 points will beat a game that gets 100 points as a result of point transfers).

Make complete games! Eat pizza! Have fun!

THE ENTRIES!
Roller Toaster Cycoon - Artimus Bena (viewtopic.php?t=8383)
Cities: Skylines Gameboy Edition - Dante (https://kylelynn.itch.io/cities-skyline ... oy-edition)
My Bud Ledge - Spoonweaver (https://spoonweaver.itch.io/my-bud-ledge)
Space Harrier OHR Demake - PJ (viewtopic.php?t=8382)
Digi Beasts - RMZ (https://redtrianglegames.itch.io/redtri ... collection)
Sin and Punishment Demake - Eon (viewtopic.php?p=142398#p142398)
Last edited by RMZ on Sun May 28, 2023 4:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Re: Ridiculous Games Contest 2023: PJ/RMZ's Pizza Birthday OHR Demake Contest

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Excitement! This should be a fun contest. I look forward to playing some ridiculousness
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

sounds ridiculous
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
Bluefeather42
Red Slime

Post by Bluefeather42 »

I'm in! Looking forward to seeing what comes out of it.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

That's cool you guys are into the contest. The feedback of it has been fun. PJ had a great idea I think!

Feel free to share whatever you want about your projects. I think everybody always loves seeing what other people are doing and it might inspire you to make your own. PJ and I can't really win the contest so I dont mind sharing mine. I'm making a Digimon Tamagotchi as close to the real thing as I can. What do you guys plan to demake?
Attachments
Monster0004.png
Monster0004.png (29.31 KiB) Viewed 1885 times
Bluefeather42
Red Slime

Post by Bluefeather42 »

I was gonna ask if we could post about what we're making, actually.

I'd like to demake Red Dead Redemption 2. Specifically, Chapter 2. Turn the game into the Old West Outlaw Sim that it was meant to be. Well, as close as I can get with just myself and OHR. I'm thinking of making a custom encounter system, where the game tells you what you've encountered and you choose what to do, whether to fight, or talk, or walk away, so the player can rob coaches and stuff. If your wanted level goes up, you'll run into lawmen and bounty hunters. The only objective is to keep the gang going, bring back food or money by any means necessary.

Also:
-When you first go to Strawberry, you'll get there just in time to see Micah hang. No jailbreak for you, Micah.
-Thomas Downes doesn't get a loan from Strauss.
-The Murfree Brood will not be horror movie villains
-The Lemoyne Raiders, though originally founded by ex-Confederate bushwhackers, has no pretenses about keeping the Civil War going. They're just another gang.
pjbebi
Slime Knight

Post by pjbebi »

Bluefeather42 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:06 am I was gonna ask if we could post about what we're making, actually.
Sounds rad! Stoked to see some new (to me) blood getting in on this delicious event.
Bluefeather42
Red Slime

Post by Bluefeather42 »

Aaaaand I changed my mind on what to demake. Had a way better idea. I think.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

2023-02-03_14.12.54_2.png
2023-02-03_14.12.54_2.png (93.18 KiB) Viewed 1715 times
RMZ
King Slime

Re: Ridiculous Games Contest 2023: PJ/RMZ's Pizza Birthday OHR Contest

Post by RMZ »

There has been some confusion about the nature of the demake. To hopefully include more people PJ and I have altered the interpretation of what we mean by demake to encompass entries as a representation of another game. It can be a parody, demake or port. But whatever it is, it must be told to us before judging and we must be able to see what it is clearly in the playthrough to be able to award it the 25 points each (50 total for representation). We want to encourage more people to enter and hope this helps clear things up. There's plenty of time to make a submission.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Slight update...

PJ and I talked and discussed the pizza gift card prizes. 1st place will win a $50 Domino's gift card. There will be one winner for the pizza raffle, where all games that are full games and not demos will go into a random drawing. The game randomly picked out of that will win a $20 Domino's gift card. You'll have to provide us with a mailing address of where you want your prize to go. Only full games qualify for the raffle, but any game submitted to the contest that gets the highest score can win the $50.

There's a little less than 2 months to go to enter. We will be doing the judge party live on my twitch account.

pjbebi
Slime Knight

Post by pjbebi »

For someone who's co-hosting this contest, sorry I haven't been hyping it on here much. That changes now. Here's a peak at what I'm working on.
rgc0025.gif
rgc0025.gif (574.08 KiB) Viewed 1452 times
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

monster_yoghost.gif
monster_yoghost.gif (256.01 KiB) Viewed 1425 times
I'm nearly done with mine and will begin APK testing hopefully next week in addition to mine being in the Super Collection. I'm like super fine tune testing everything and making sure all evolutions happen the way I planned them to. Like... you can be a Yo-Ghost if you just never feed your beast but maintain it's happiness and make sure it's a winner. You don't want to accidentally become an artichoke when you wanna be a ghost.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Excellent contest idea; I think this will prove to be particularly memorable, and I think the extra long contest window is justified for once.
...because I'm considering entering, but I haven't started yet. I'm also said I've help Bena a bit with his game. I haven't started that yet either.

But what I have done is play Arti's outside, which is inspired by Portal, so I'll assume it's intended for this contest, although that's unspoken.

It's a short game of not much more than 5 minutes. The graphics are appropriately minimal in a way that's reminiscent of Baba Is You, though that's maybe a bit of a pretentious way to describe graphics of the sort sported by hundreds of other OHR games. The nice music and succinct writing gave me an initial impression that this would be an engaging Portalesque puzzle game. The first levels are super basic, very slowly introducing a mechanic or... none. Unfortunately, non-trivial mechanics are never introduced, and there are no real puzzles beyond memorising a couple numbers. Even the block-pushing has zero challenge. It's a big missed opportunity, the game's setup had promise. I imagine it was intentional to have tasks that only substitute for real puzzles, in the same way every other aspect of Portal is squeezed to nothing. But the last few levels are interesting for other reasons, and the game is so short that it was over before the extreme simplicity really got on my nerves, so I still enjoyed it.

There is a bug that if you hold down an arrow key while you get hit by a laser you can immediately teleported back to the start of the level but sometimes continue moving and become misaligned with the gird. (Honestly this is really a long-standing engine bug.) It fix it, add "walk hero(me, west, 0), walk hero(me, south, 0)" after the teleport command (using "cancel hero walk" isn't enough). That'll change the hero direction to south-facing though.
Attachments
outside0003.png
outside0003.png (2.58 KiB) Viewed 1394 times