Brainstormathon: Fairy tale mashup

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Mogri
Super Slime

Brainstormathon: Fairy tale mashup

Post by Mogri »

(I thought about making this a contest, but I decided I wanted a lower barrier to entry. I'm keeping this in Game Discussion because it's at least gamedev-adjacent.)

Create a fairy tale mashup. Your mashup must feature a fairy tale and another public-domain story or setting (which can be a different fairy tale). The story should still be recognizable as the fairy tale in some form; it should at minimum loosely follow most of the same plot beats. For example, you could combine the stories of Pinocchio and Jonah, or you could cast Sherlock and Holmes as Hansel and Gretel.

Write as much or as little of the story as you want, but at least give us the basic outline and explain how your stories intertwine.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Re: Brainstormathon: Fairy tale mashup

Post by Bob the Hamster »

This sounds like a very fun idea!
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Here's a pretty good list of public domain books. When I try to think of things like this, my mind always draws a blank :zombie:
https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/public-domain
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
pjbebi
Slime Knight

Post by pjbebi »

okay. Beauty and the Beast meets Jane Eyre. Belle finds the beast's secret wife kept in squalid captivity and leaves him. Gaston and his brutes destroy the castle and leave the Beast mangled and blind, forever a beast, but not broke. Belle eventually finds beast and marries him as he is.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

pjbebi wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:56 pm okay. Beauty and the Beast meets Jane Eyre. Belle finds the beast's secret wife kept in squalid captivity and leaves him. Gaston and his brutes destroy the castle and leave the Beast mangled and blind, forever a beast, but not broke. Belle eventually finds beast and marries him as he is.
That's great! A very nice pairing :)
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I'm thinking miserly old architect Ebeneezer Wolf is visited by the three pig spirits of construction materials past, present, and future

EDIT: wait, no, he's not an architect, he is a demolitions engineer

And maybe mix things up at the end with a 4th piggy spirit of 3D printed carbon nanofiber
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Prince Charming lives a lonely life in the castle until one day, he meets a mysterious young woman at the ball. His only clue to her identity is a crystal slipper. He sends out his servants to find her, and he also performs his own search, where he finds a lovely but comatose young woman in the forest laid in a glass coffin. With a kiss, he wakes her, but things get complicated when his servants tell him they've found the owner of the slipper. Hijinks ensue!
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

Just dropping in to remind everyone that a lot of H.P. Lovecraft's writings (The Call of Cthulhu, etc.) are public domain now.

Also...
Sherlock and Holmes
...this made me chuckle a bit.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Hah! I thought something was a little off as I wrote that, but I couldn't put my finger on it :)
pjbebi
Slime Knight

Post by pjbebi »

Hansel and Gretel get sent off to get lost by their negligent mother only to find the candy-hoarding house of Frankenstein's Monster. Monster raises the kids to be their own. The highly intelligent and verbose monster teaches the kids to do great things while continually thwarting the Doctor Victor's fell plans to destroy Monster. Gretel becomes the next (and one of the first) great female novelists of the modern english language, the next Mary Shelley. Hansel becomes a scientist with hopes to animate a wife for his beloved step-monster-father.