book club

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

pjbebi
Slime Knight

book club

Post by pjbebi »

I know there's Goodreads and stuff, but I rarely ever interact with my friends on there. Anyway, I read a lot and I'm shooting to finish 50 books (which will be easy) this year. Last year I was shooting for 100, but got really caught up in game design. So. I'd like to hear your BOOK SUGGESTIONS. Please, be a pal and tell me your favorite books and why. I'd love to take your suggestions and connect over it!
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Re: book club

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I love this idea!

I don't get two read as much as I like, but this weekend I finished reading two books! Yay!

One was called "I Know The Plans" by Pamela Brown, which was about two sisters with clashing personalities who move to a new town without enough planning, and have to rely on new friends, and each other to make things work. It's not at all the genre I normally read, but it was comforting and funny, and just what I needed. Recommend!

The other was "After Io" by Elliot Wink. It's a soft sci-fi suspense/thriller. It is like murder mystery plus disaster survival set on a small spaceship. Apparently it also has a sequel which is about a space detective investigating the events of the first book, but I haven't read that one yet. Recommend!

And of course I'll never not recommend my own book :v:
pjbebi
Slime Knight

Post by pjbebi »

I guess I'll note my favorite books from this year's readings.

Bridge Trilogy (by William Gibson) - maximum entertainment cyberpunk masterworks
Neverwhere (by Neil Gaiman) - immersive portal fantasy, like a comic book but not
Lurking: How a Person Became a User (by Joanne McNeil) - an in depth history and critique of social media and today's tech monopolies
Miles from Nowhere (by Nami Mun) - artfully crushing story of a korean teenage runaway in 1980s new york
pjbebi
Slime Knight

Post by pjbebi »

Bob the Hamster wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:39 am And of course I'll never not recommend my own book :v:
I read your book. My copy's going in this year's secret santa box. so whoever gets it is going to HAVE to read it. :angel:
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

pjbebi wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:53 pm
Bob the Hamster wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:39 am And of course I'll never not recommend my own book :v:
I read your book. My copy's going in this year's secret santa box. so whoever gets it is going to HAVE to read it. :angel:
Haha! Fantasy Santa Claus approves
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

I've been slowly going through Will Durant's The Story of Civilization, which was intended to be an all-encompassing book on human history as it was known at that time. Not as thorough as a dedicated book would be, but Durant's writing style is nice, makes what would be a very dense book a lot less dense. Probably wouldn't help with your plan on reading 50 books this year though, since its still dense.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

a book I recommend which you may not have heard of is "I am David" by Anne Holm.
It is very bleak, sombre and depressing, but beautiful and moving. It's not light reading in terms of themes/content. However the intended audience is children, so it is rather accessible.

my favourite discworld book is Night Watch. I try to get everyone to read it XD but you should read all the Vimes books first, if possible.
Compared to early Discworld books, which could be called, generously, sloppy, Night Watch is extremely refined and honed, and masterful, mature... This, for me, is the culmination of Pratchett's writing prowess, and the result is a very powerful story.
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

I am currently reading Gideon the Ninth, and I love it so much.

I love the juxtaposition of magic and technology in an ancient and crumbling space empire.

I love the detailed descriptions of ruined temples and palaces, and the fashions and customs of their weird space-death-cult denizens.

I love how it can transition from an intense battle with a bone-golem in in a forgotten laboratory, to having the same characters attend an awkward dinner party in the very next chapter
BennyJackdaw
Red Slime

Post by BennyJackdaw »

I have never been able to read Erin Hunters the Warriors series, but I did get to read the first book in the Bamboo Kingdom series. To be honest, I liked most of the book except for the ending. The ending left so much unresolved, and there was a character who was on death's bed, in the book ends before you find out if she made it or not. It didn't feel like the ending of a book. It felt like a sales trap. Meaning you basically need to buy the second book in order to get the rest of the story, assuming they only made two.

I liked it otherwise, but that is not how you should end a book.