Titityler: A Soapy Platfohrmer

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

pjbebi
Red Slime

Titityler: A Soapy Platfohrmer

Post by pjbebi »

viewtopic.php?t=8326

In high school I drew a webcomic in which my friend Tyler was a bar of soap. Last time PJ visited home, Tyler couldn't help but notice his old friend really needed a bath. Maybe he doesn't have any soap? As Tyler, it's your job to collect 300 pennies from around the house so you can ship yourself to your old friend PJ. My goal was to make a flick-screen platformer in the style of Monty on the Run or Jet Set Willy with the advantages of new hardware, hoping to create something that's equally fresh, familiar, and fun, allowing players to earn a sense of achievement in a game that relies only on their own skill and wit.

Titityler was designed for users to easily make their own maps in custom. Maps are made entirely of tiles, converted to slices. No walls and no npcs. The scripts will read your starting map and starting position defined in custom.

With this alpha release, I'd love to hear everything you hate about it and think needs to be fixed or changed. Then I can make list of your brilliant insights with which to mold this into a thing strangers will want to play.

GOALS FOR ALPHA:
-land on your butt sometimes
-maybe duck
-fix upward momentum when brushing a wall
-shorter minimum jump
-pausing after death/smoother deaths

GOALS FOR BETA:
bugs fixed
refined map
handsome graphics (all in alpha 1 are placeholders)
title screen/load/high scores
backgrounds
ending scene

GOALS FOR FINAL:
more maps
soundtrack
polish

KNOWN ISSUES:
-Once in a great while, you will run through a wall. I have 6 points of hit detection on my character, and I'm not entirely sure what's going on. It'll get fixed.
Last edited by pjbebi on Sat May 14, 2022 5:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Re: Titityler: A Soapy Platfohrmer

Post by kylekrack »

Good.

A few things:
- For how slippery it is, the framerate feels a little low. Controlling the character, especially midair, is extremely finnicky.
- The minimum jump height is too high. It should be just enough to get up onto a half tile, since that's the lowest jump you might need to make
- There's an frame of animation of the character laying down when reloading the game. I need to be able to do this on command, I don't care if it does anything, I want to fall on my slime. The ability to duck and lower your own hitbox would also be a nice touch, without adding in too much gameplay
- There are certain respawn points that drop you to your death pretty quickly. Pausing after death until the player presses the jump button would let you see where you're about to fall before you die in a fan 4 times in a row in rapid succession.
- Why do the save pools gradually eat the UI? Doesn't seem to be a purpose to that other than hiding my health bar.
- Sometimes you lose upward momentum when jumping into a wall, which is just kind of punishing. It's especially rough when it happens against a small platform.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
pjbebi
Red Slime

Re: Titityler: A Soapy Platfohrmer

Post by pjbebi »

kylekrack wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:30 pm - Why do the save pools gradually eat the UI? Doesn't seem to be a purpose to that other than hiding my health bar.
- Sometimes you lose upward momentum when jumping into a wall, which is just kind of punishing. It's especially rough when it happens against a small platform.
wow. lots of good stuff here. thank you! I added some of that stuff to my list of goals for alpha. the framerate is kind of low, and at most you're moving 8 pixels per tick. I'm undecided about that since I've experienced some slowdown at higher framerates. If the problem is on my end, I could probably load slices per screen. As of now, I'm running the whole map the whole time.