Terminal Attractor by PjBebi
viewtopic.php?t=8351

Fox in the Woods by RMZ
https://redtrianglegames.itch.io/redtri ... collection

Rogue's Trail by Spoonweaver
viewtopic.php?p=141976

Odwmyltf by Hedera
viewtopic.php?t=8349

Voting begins NOW and runs until October 15th.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Re: Heart Slam: Summer of the OHR Game Making Competition

Post by Spoonweaver »

Please cast your votes in ranked order listing all games in the contest.
Any vote not in ranked order will be estimated into ranked order.
Any left out games in a vote will be added to the bottom of that vote, in a random order.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I've ammended the voting rules that i had on the first post before to be more straight forward.
Here is an example vote:

1) Rogue's Trail by Spoonweaver

2) Broad Trip by Idontknow and Fenrir-Lunaris

3) Assfaultiarpg by Eonhetwo, Ravancloak, and Holly

4) Blood Ledger by Prifurin, RMZ, Artimus Bena, and Gaplan

5) Terminal Attractor by PjBebi

6) Fox in the Woods by RMZ

7) Odwmyltf by Hedera
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

My votes and pithy one-sentence reviews:

1) Assfaultia

Something that must be played to be believed, this game takes a surreal and bizarre meditation on modern American life often seen in Eonhetwo's games, and uses the scripting and music/art from Ravancloak and Holly to refine it into a pure crystal of slimed-uppedness. :devil:

2) Broadtrip

arg, fenrir, games you work on as part of a team or solo are always so competent and solidly made, I never have anything to say about them other than "it's cool to go awoo as a power up" and "I recognize that these are in-jokes but I don't know them and am afraid to ask" :)

3) Terminal Attractor

I wandered off the path and got horribly murdered, and thus the main character couldn't complete his booty call. Next time. :D

4) Fox In The Woods

A catch-the-falling-objects one-screen arcade-style game made with free art assets off of itch, it's cute enough to be worth playing a couple rounds; the titular fox moves on a grid which isn't bad, per se, just... noticeable. :angel:

5) Blood Ledger

Game looks great, controls are complicated but you get used to them after long enough, it's mostly unrelated to previous versions except it's got Wedonkind the lovable rogue and Nolan the cop, maybe it'll tie back into said previous versions eventually? :???:

6) Rogue's Trail

It's an unfinished pre-alpha Oregon Trail But With D&D Peasants, and will need a lot of work going forward to develop and bugtest, but it's also really creative and fun and sometimes the glitches let you do things like have wolf friends follow your party at a distance. :hurr:

7) ODWMYLTF

In all the time I was scatterbrainedly devblogging things I was adding to my game, not only did I neglect to actually make a game or even a coherent battle system, I promised boobs and didn't deliver. :zombie:
Rue
Slime Knight

Post by Rue »

played all of these gamey-boiz on stream tonight and thought I'd give a little vote. for reference, if you play all of them you've probably got about 4 hours of gameplay total.

1. blood ledger
Bena has worked his slime off on his flagship game, and it really shows. I think this is one of those games that makes people question what the OHR is capable of. If you ignore all of that and just look at it as a general indie game, it is one of the few 2D stealth action games out there. Movement is really smooth, there's a ton of tools in the players kit, and once Bena works out how the balance should feel (the goddamn bat/spike room), Blood Ledger will be a legendary indie game, not just an OHR game.

2. assfaultia
It feels really strange putting a joke game this high up on the scoring, but hidden beneath the gruff and vulgar exterior, Assfaultia has a lot of attention to detail that a lot of games are missing. It's pretty difficult to tell what to do, which sort of fits with the theme of the main characters being high -- but what's great is that if you slime up and game over, you'll remember the stuff you found in the previous run and get those aha moments that make this shine. I really thought that the random respawning trash cans, the refilling health after combat, and the scaled enemy encounters were superb choices. Past that, this game features possibly the most balanced default OHRRPGCE battle engine combat I've ever seen, and I legitimately enjoyed it.

3. broadtrip

This game looks very good. It was made by Fen and Idk though, so is that really a surprise? Another default OHR battle engine game featuring two characters (like Assfaultia) and tons of OHR easter eggs and tropes, but again, fairly well balanced (after the initial 15 minutes or so). Every dungeon seemed to start with me going in, fighting until I'm about to die, running back to the Winnebago to heal, and proceeding until the enemies wouldn't stomp me. By the end of the game, your two characters can fully take care of themselves, which was nice, but I think I would have preferred if it felt that way the whole game. Features speed stat exploits, so that's always a plus from me :)

4. fox in the woods

RMZ is the master of scope. This is a small game, where you're a fox who runs back and forth, collecting leaves. The goal is to not let too many hit the ground, or the game will end. Looks good, plays good, a great fit in his super collection. I did hit what I assume was a bug -- I had around 5000 points, then a single leaf hit the ground and the game ended.

5. rogue trail

This is the start of something that could be great, but it's not there yet. I spent the majority of my play session trying to keep my party from starving simply traveling town to town. But, what I was expecting, was a small focus on road survival, and a larger focus on the "rogue" aspect. I also apparently have awful luck with that d20 -- rolling only one 20, but I'd say 80% of my rolls were under 10.

6. terminala

This was a cool idea, but not executed well just yet. If you're stuck in a text box, you should note that you must use the Space key to advance text. The grid based movement was cool (especially combined with the zelda-style map). I thought it was pretty funny that there was a tutorial for how to use the map (which is really obvious), but no explanation of the "build a robot" combat system. In the future, I think it'll be really cool building up robots off of the three bases you've included and adding extra abilities per turn or modifiers, but I think it's kind of weird that you're fighting alongside these guys. Overall, weird experience, but I'm excited for this title's potential.

7. One Day, We May Yet Learn To Forgive (yes i did copy and paste this name)
Cool menu, I guess? :/ I think what you're trying to put together here is an rpg that features enemies with changing stats... or maybe roguelike elements? To be honest, for what you're going for the default battle engine might not be for you. I don't think this is quite ready to see anyone's eyes yet. Best of luck.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

I listened to the podcast and want to clarify something about Fox in the Woods. I do not qualify for any bonuses as I started before that was announced.
Eonhetwo
Red Slime

Post by Eonhetwo »

Here's my votes:

1. Assfaultia : What can I say?

2. Broadtrip : Dat Winnebago!

3. Terminal Attraction : I'll get my "friends" to help you!

4. Blood Ledger : Technically marvelous, but I found myself frustrated often.

5. Rogue Trail : Roll to charm the Druid

6. Fox in The Woods : As someone who enjoys winter, slime this fox, trying to make summer keep going!

7. ODWMYLTF : Ima join your party. *takes step* Ok now Ima leave your party
Just a vessel for dank memes
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Post by TheLordThyGod »

1. Blood Ledger
The new version of Blood Ledger is very different than the earlier version I played in the past, mostly for the better. The story was still a bit too vague to decipher, but the interesting gameplay (especially for an OHR project) more than made up for that, even if the controls feel a bit finicky at first. There were a few frustrating moments (a diagonal jump onto a ladder, the bat/spike room, and an arena where progression hinged on picking up a candle that was hidden behind a tree), but overall I had a positive experience with the stealth action. The music and graphics were all very good. Most importantly, I had a lot of fun with this one, and thus it’s my top pick.

2. Assfaultia

This game is willfully vile and frequently hilarious, though probably not to everyone’s “taste.” The graphics and music are good enough for what the game is trying to do, the combat is solid, and the concepts are a riot. And the ending… What an ending! There are some spelling errors here and there and a battle backdrop might be nice, but overall it’s a really fun ride.

3. Broad Trip

The art and music are generally well-executed (although I found the fetish-y character designs off-putting). The walkabout sprite clips through the bedsheets inside the Wolfabago, and there are a few spelling errors here and there. The characters are on a road trip, but the objective is not clear from the beginning. Eventually I discovered the Party Chat feature, which revealed I was supposed to be looking for a winery to the west. Combat is pretty brutal if you don’t spend some of the early game grinding, resting, and buying equipment; and optimal tactics are not immediately evident due to the open-ended nature of the quest. I died in the winery a few times before figuring out that, despite what the party chat implied, the winery should not be my first stop. Once I leveled and geared up my characters, the winery and dinosaur statue dungeons went by pretty breezily, until I eventually got bodied a couple of times by a cult in a corn maze and threw my hands up.

4. Fox In The Woods
The more falling leaves you collect before they hit the ground, the more points you gain; the more leaves hit the ground, the more points you lose. The longer you play, the faster the leaves fall (and some leaves fall at different speeds, making it tricky to predict where to run). Often several leaves are hitting the ground simultaneously on different parts of the screen, so I’m not sure how possible it is to actually catch them all. It feels like a game designed to munch quarters in an arcade alongside Space Invaders, Burger Time, and Tapper; but I’m not sure how well it would fare against those classic cabinets. The graphics and sound are great, mostly thanks to free stock assets; but the gameplay needs more polish and variety to convince me to play more than a couple of rounds.

5. Rogue’s Trail
I like the concept, but all I managed to do was die several times in a row (usually very swiftly). I don’t know if the problem was bad luck with dice rolls, my own poor strategy, or maybe the game is just that way. Anyway, I never made it to the second town. I’d love to play a more polished and complete version of this, but it’s still a proof of concept.

6. Terminal Attractor
This game had some cool elements, but overall left me confused. The menus are counterintuitive (“0 HP CURED!”) and the text tutorials didn’t give me a clear idea of how the game was intended to be played. Combat seemed to happen on its own without player input. The mini-map was a nice inclusion, giving me an idea of where I was supposed to go. The character portraits look really nice, but the map and sprites are simple and garish. I died without knowing what was expected of me as a player. There’s no music as far as I can tell, just some simple sound effects. There may be a good concept hidden in here, but the game needs to make it more clear to the player what the story is and how the game wants to be played.

7. One Day, We May Yet Learn To Forgive

The menu wouldn’t let me start a new game, so I went with the battle test mode. The corridors were blocked with NPCS who would join and leave my party when I interacted with them. Some fights occurred without rhyme or reason. During one battle, I couldn’t select any option besides using an item; when I did use an item, the enemy just died. I have no idea what this game is trying to be. Unless I am mistaken, it seems like a buggy battle system experiment. If there’s a grand design at work here, it needs a lot more work before it comes across to the player.
...spake The Lord Thy God.
pjbebi
Slime Knight

Post by pjbebi »

thanks you all for playing my game. I'm glad most of the feedback has been in reference to things I can fix before next release, whenever that happens.
ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

If you're stuck in Blood Ledger check out the playthrough here to see more:

Do you make love with the same urgency you make games?
ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

1) Broadtrip - I thought this was simply enjoyable and entertaining. It needs balance tweaks for sure, but the game being extremely generous with its resting/healing, shops, new skills, etc., it didn't really bother me. Fenrir and IDK both have their styles dialed in and seeing them work together was a warm and buttery experience.

2) Blood Ledger - At the risk of looking conceited I'm putting it near the top because I think it was legitimately well done and raised the bar considerably in (nearly) all the categories one can judge a game on. I think it objectively deserves a real shot at winning. However, due to two or three notable changes I could have made (that everyone has correctly called the game out on), I'm sliding it down to #2.

3) Terminal Attractor - While I was thoroughly confused by the gameplay (I've actually never played a game like this before) I thought it was a very cool game and I actually felt like trying again when I game over'd. Had a lot of respect for what it was trying to do. I think it could have definitely benefited from some level of explanation text for the uninitiated. And it seemed a little rickety in its construction. (Btw, if you die and choose "return to save" with no save it just resumes the game and lets you keep going).

4) Rogue's Trail - There's a lot of DND style randomness to its gameplay, but about 50% strategy too, so I wasn't mad playing this. I did not understand that one move was an entire day before I left town though, so I brought too little food and basically screwed myself. But that actually made the game more fun because the game became a lot more strategy focused for me, which held my attention better. Strategy not just in the preparation for the journey but the immediate day-to-day. Overall not really a game I personally feel like coming back to any time soon, at least this version of it. And I really think it could have used some music.

5) Assfaultia - I enjoy the humor where I'm finding it. But to get to the humor I'm trekking over physically large map areas with random encounters. And the encounters are the same couple of really tanky battle formations. And my abilities aren't great. So I end up skipping fights just to kind of peruse the game and see if there's another funny little thing to find. After an hour the novelty has warn off completely - which is good timing because I've now died in one hit from a cardboard warrior and the game restarts.

6) Fox in the Woods - I can't say there was much to this one. Had it added some layers to the gameplay like "green leaves are fast and give you bonuses" or having leaves that swing in the wind and juke you, or you get a dash if you sacrifice a little time and hold a direction to charge the dash - pretty much anything extra - it would have felt a little more like a game. Further, the randomness of the leaf generation (and how many are usually on screen) kind of makes it *feel* RNG whether it's even *possible* to win the game. And the game wasn't complex enough to really wanna keep trying despite that fact. Plus I can't really balance this unfavorable opinion out by praising the graphics because apparently the graphics are stock graphics?

7) ODWMYLTF - I hate to jump on the bandwagon of "sevening" this one, but it's... a dev room. Cool title, nice portraits. Also I really hope all the woke disclaimers at the beginning are there as a funny prank.
Do you make love with the same urgency you make games?
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

1. Rogue's Trail
2. ODWMYLTF
3. Terminal Attractor
4. Fox in the Woods
5. Assfaultia
6. Blood Ledger
7. Broad Trip
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

1. Broadtrip
2. Assfaultia
3. Blood Ledger
4. Rogue Trail
5. Terminal Attractor
6. Fox in The Woods
7. ODWMYLTF
Working as intended!
Eonhetwo
Red Slime

Post by Eonhetwo »

@RMZ is your voting order backwards? Putting Broad Trip at dead last seems like either a mistake or a troll.
Just a vessel for dank memes
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Wow way to call me out, haha.

I didn't want to list reasoning for my rankings because I kinda feel like the way this type of voting is, is already very unhealthy but listing descriptions of what you don't like and dislike is even moreso. I've reached out to the people who I thought might misunderstand my list and told them why I did what I did.

I'm not a super huge fan of most of the games, they're not for me. And that's okay. We all make games and we all don't have to like them. What's most important about our community is to support someone's interests and projects even if it doesn't appeal to you personally. I don't like default OHR games anymore, I don't like making them and I get immensely bored playing them. Assfaultia and Broad Trip, while funny and charming, the gameplay was that and based on my own personal interests for gaming I can't vote them high, the only game I really wanna see use that is Wandering Hamster. I don't doubt they are awesome, I absolutely love that people on this thread have expressed admiration for them. The people who made them worked hard on them and that's what I want to support. I wasn't even planning on voting if I'm being totally honest.

My logic for voting was what game do I want to play in the future.

I picked Rogue's Trail to win because, after years of knowing Spoon, that feels like the game that reflects his own personal interests in gaming the most. He's talked about D&D for years, he loves that art style obviously, like, that game has a ton of problems but it has the most potential to be the game that represents him as a developer and a game player the most and that excites me to see someone working towards that. I messaged him shortly after the posting to let him know and I said all of these things to him. There's a lot of potential in ODWMYLTF at this moment because it's so incomplete, it could be anything, that also excites me.

I do apologize if my votes came off as rude or trolly. I've had people approach me wanting clarification. I am really proud of everyone for following their hearts and interests with their interests. Assfaultia feels VERY VERY much like a strong collab of interests, it's just not something that appeals to me to play. By putting it on a ranked list it probably seems like I don't like these games but as I said, I can love these games and not want to play them. I think the trio that made that was something that should have happened a long time ago and I hope they make something else in the future. I've seen a lot of custom things from Ravan and I'd love to see her do more of that with this group. I've played enough wolf boob games in my time in this community that the idea of another just doesn't appeal to me, not IDK or Fen's fault, they love them some wolf boob games and they should totally make as many as they find interesting, people obviously love them and I support them following their passions.

I think a lot of people don't get Fox in the Woods, and they're fine to judge it. I don't understand though why it's being judged for using art I didn't make when a good chunk of the entries in this contest use that logic. Is it because it wasn't custom ordered that's the problem? Some people don't use original music still. My focus for that title was just something to learn with. I released two games this year with the intention of encouraging people that don't feel confident with their art skills to find a way to just get out there and be creative. Sprite packs aren't custom, but they are things people make for other people to help them realize their ideas and that took a lot of pressure off of me to make art and just focus on learning more OHR things (which thanks publicly to Charbile for spending an evening dumbing down slices for me). There's a stupid amount of stuff on itch.

But yeah, this is why I don't like ranked voting, too much misunderstanding can happen. I accept that the community prefers this method, I even participated in it when I don't agree but none of my intentions were malice.