Heart Slam: Summer of the OHR Game Making Competition

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Re: Heart Slam: Summer of the OHR Game Making Competition

Post by Spoonweaver »

There's no need to be concerned about one person's off the cuff voting.
Due to the use of ranking voting 1 person can't drastically alter the outcome of the contest to much of a degree without really really trying.
With or without RMZ's vote the current rankings remain the same.

Anyways, there's still about a week left to vote so if you haven't already voted, get in here and vote!
There's no better weapon to fight the claims of 1 man then by banding together and letting your collective voices be heard!
ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

vote-now-senate.gif
vote-now-senate.gif (2.64 MiB) Viewed 2064 times
Do you make love with the same urgency you make games?
Eonhetwo
Red Slime

Post by Eonhetwo »

Oh RMZ I didnt mean to imply ill intent. I was genuinely curious just because it looked nearly opposite of the majority of voting spreads.
Just a vessel for dank memes
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

the forum logged me out while I was responding to everyone so, take 2
Rue wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:33 am 7. One Day, We May Yet Learn To Forgive (yes i did copy and paste this name)
Cool menu, I guess? :/ I think what you're trying to put together here is an rpg that features enemies with changing stats... or maybe roguelike elements? To be honest, for what you're going for the default battle engine might not be for you. I don't think this is quite ready to see anyone's eyes yet. Best of luck.
you're correct that I wanted enemies with changing stats, that I'm trying to do stuff with the OHR's battle system which it's not designed for and at the moment can only be implemented in a clumsy and kludgey way, and that it's not ready for release. Thanks for the luck-wishing.
Eonhetwo wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:04 am 7. ODWMYLTF : Ima join your party. *takes step* Ok now Ima leave your party
instead of making excuses for something that may or may not make sense in the actual game that doesn't exist yet, I'll just say "yeah, it's dogshit" and move on
TheLordThyGod wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:07 pm
7. One Day, We May Yet Learn To Forgive

The menu wouldn’t let me start a new game, so I went with the battle test mode. The corridors were blocked with NPCS who would join and leave my party when I interacted with them. Some fights occurred without rhyme or reason. During one battle, I couldn’t select any option besides using an item; when I did use an item, the enemy just died. I have no idea what this game is trying to be. Unless I am mistaken, it seems like a buggy battle system experiment. If there’s a grand design at work here, it needs a lot more work before it comes across to the player.
* the start game option in the title screen menu was disabled, yes, and there're probably better ways of doing it than what I went with
* probably should differentiate better between NPCs that start fights and those who don't
* the bug you encountered, where in the turn-based battle system if an enemy dies to poison (or rather, burn) and has an on-death bequest attack, they only do said attack at the beginning of the next turn and you can't target them because they're dead, is known and top scientists are working round the clock to fix it; in the meantime, fire and electric attacks from the player now inflict sleep instead of burn (enemy attacks still inflict burn, because it's not bugged there)

ArtimusBena wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:02 am 7) ODWMYLTF - I hate to jump on the bandwagon of "sevening" this one, but it's... a dev room. Cool title, nice portraits. Also I really hope all the woke disclaimers at the beginning are there as a funny prank.
the disclaimers were supposed to've been commented out at some point, since the actual game that doesn't exist has sliming and (the aftermath of) rape and whatnot, except I forgot to double-check whether that had happened for this dev room version

also lol, if you think that those are woke, then... I really need to hurry up and finish the actual game?
RMZ wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:40 pmThere's a lot of potential in ODWMYLTF at this moment because it's so incomplete, it could be anything, that also excites me.
wasn't expecting this, but thanks!

tldr- it sucks, I owe yall an actual game and not this nonsense that doesn't even have boobs in it
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Post by TheLordThyGod »

Hedera wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:39 am
RMZ wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:40 pmThere's a lot of potential in ODWMYLTF at this moment because it's so incomplete, it could be anything, that also excites me.
wasn't expecting this, but thanks!

tldr- it sucks, I owe yall an actual game and not this nonsense that doesn't even have boobs in it
It doesn't suck and you don't owe us a thing. Keep working on it and shape it into anything you want.
...spake The Lord Thy God.
Gaplan
Red Slime

Post by Gaplan »

1. Blood Ledger - Not only does this game is a technical marvel, it also has an action type of gameplay, which I really enjoy. And I think that this demo have a huge potential of becoming something really special. :kamina:
2. Fox in the Woods - This game also has a fun real-time action gameplay which I love, it's very simple, yet elegant, and also very cute. :)
3. Broad Trip - I enjoyed the writing and the idea of a road travel a lot, it had me smiling a lot and the combat ballance felt tough, but quite fair. :D
4. Terminal Atractor - It's really adorable, just like every game by PJ, the writing is quite nice, the character portraits are cute, but the overworld graphics felt too simplistic to me. :angel:
5. Assfaultia - It's funny. :v:
6. Rogue Trail - It's a decent entry, although there isn't much to it so far, I somehow managed to get to the Dornwich and the game softlocked when I opened a map. I'm not a fan of the presentation, and the lack of music and very few sounds makes it kinda boring. :zombie:
7. ODWMYLTF - Sorry, it's not much of game yet, it's just a dev room, but the graphics look kinda cozy. :???:
sorry for bad english :v:
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Voting over
Winners will be announced soon
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

wordart.png
wordart.png (119.55 KiB) Viewed 1916 times
wordart (2).png
wordart (2).png (26.41 KiB) Viewed 1916 times
wordart(1).png
wordart(1).png (108.77 KiB) Viewed 1916 times
wordart (3).png
wordart (3).png (17.4 KiB) Viewed 1916 times
wordart (4).png
wordart (4).png (112.38 KiB) Viewed 1916 times
1.png
1.png (35.34 KiB) Viewed 1916 times
4th Place: Rogue's Trail by Spoonweaver
5th Place: Terminal Attractor by PjBebi

6th Place: Fox in the Woods by RMZ
7th Place: ODWMYLTF by Hedera

I will be in touch with the winners to distribute prizes.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Yay for everyone who participated! Congratulations to the winners!
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Well, all the prizes are either delivered or on their way. I invite anyone that gets a prize to share pictures of their prizes ( and/or videos ) here for all to see.
This has been a great and wonderful ride.
I'm truly glad to everyone that took part. We all did an amazing job.
I think it's taken for granted around here just how amazing a lot of our games really are.
We are all amazing and I'm sure we'll be amazing for years to come.
Anyways:tm:, Heart Slam will return in 2024
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

As they only shared on discord I figure I'd share here for them.
Attachments
20221021_214212.jpg
20221021_214212.jpg (29.21 KiB) Viewed 1769 times
PXL_20221022_001422444.jpg
PXL_20221022_001422444.jpg (50.29 KiB) Viewed 1780 times
20221019_164850.jpg
20221019_164850.jpg (30.54 KiB) Viewed 1780 times
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Where.are.the.pinecones?
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Why would there be pinecones?!
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Nice pictures! Thank you for sharing them :)

Turns out the pinecones were inside our hearts all along