Re: Ridiculous/Terrible Games Competition 2022 - The Homage Strikes Back

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

And that's all, folks.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

Okay, so without further ado~

7TH place goes to OHR Afterlife by Spoonweaver, with a score of 34 points. Spoon's entry was probably the most controversial with it's voterbase being split in half between extremely low scores and high ones.

6TH place goes to Charbile's Hatful Adventure by Kylekrack, with a score of 54 points. This entry was a surprise, with most voters consistently praising its visuals, responsive controls, and universally wanting more and more fox-related jokes.

5TH place goes to Global WARming by PJBebi, with a score of 56 points. This one seemed to be the hardest to convince people to play, with most voters putting it off until last. Everyone who did choose to comment has agreed this is the definitive Gizmog experience. Only he would be worthy of a journey across the American South, beating up random goofballs, and sampling the best of the local cuisine.

4TH place goes to Cthulhu's Paradox by RMZ, with a score of 57 points. This one was the go-to bet for winner for the majority of the competition, with teases of impressive visuals, and the promise of an epic adventure. RMZ didn't disappoint, with the voters consistently agreeing that the game had tremendous production values, and attention to details in each of its many scenarios. The frustration that many had with some of it's more unusual design choices for an OHR game may have ultimately hurt it in the long run, but it was also universally praised for being an amazingly fun ride.

3RD place goes to Hati's Bizarre Adventure: Twink Episode by Idontknow, with a score of 58 points. This game's journey may have been the hardest out of all the others, largely due to it standing in the shadow of the colossus that was Charbile's Hati's Bizarre Adventure. Idontknow's entry improved upon the original formula by including more bosses, more enemy types, more abilities, and more story scenes. Despite some stumbles along the way with progression related bugs popping up and vanishing, most of the voters consistently praised Idontknow's dedication to telling a compelling narrative about friendship and forgiveness.

2ND place goes to Mystery Dungeon Friends 2 by Charbile, with a score of 63 points. The early voters weren't sure whether this game would even come out at all, and either chose to not give it a score, or later amended their votes to reflect its sudden inclusion. Once it appeared however, all bets for what would surely be THE first-place game were considered off. Charbile absolutely shocked the voters with a game that had consistently high production values, smooth gameplay, and visuals. This may be THE best OHR game ever made... for now.

1ST place goes to Bob vs the OHR by Fenrir-Lunaris, with a score of 65 points. Like Spoon's game, the voters for this one were largely split into high and low votes, though the low scores were consistently just "average". It shares the overall premise that RMZ's Cthulhu's Paradox has of travelling to different worlds. It even shares the same villain as Idontknow's HBA Twink Episode, and has the same habit of having a bunch of different versions of Charbile that Kylekrack's Hatful Adventure had. The community consensus on this one seemed to be that it needs to be much more densely packed with jokes, references, and stuff in general, but that what was there was solid.

Dagnabbit, I won. I had hoped to pass off the Ridiculous Games contest to the winner, and it looks like I get saddled with it again. Is this what they call irony? Hubris? Whatever it is, it feels weird. I don't much like it. This MIGHT have been the most active RGC ~EVER~ in regards to community participation. EVERY entry on this list would've been worthy of winning a prize, but since I'm somewhat strapped for cash, I'll have to do something more meaningful. So I'll do the only cool thing I CAN do and spread the fun around as best as I can.

The picture I promised, I'm dedicating to all the entrants. Char's game was a hair's breadth away from claiming the top spot, so I'm making a big ol' reference to everyone's pokemon in his game. Well, mostly. Still have to figure out what Kylekrack was/is.

If Red's still up for providing a game through Steam, I'd like to pass that one off to Idontknow.

And since RMZ was both the expected winner for the longest time, and has also expressed a large interest in hosting the RGC at some point, I'm offering it to him if he accepts it.

And NOW that's all folks! Feel free to talk about the entries to your heart's content!
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Didn't expect these results at all but it was fun observing the games and voting. Better contest than I think anyone expected. I'm down for hosting it next year, I did warn everyone if I won the theme would be Breakfast Foods though. I realized watching Fenrir stream my game that the part of the game I tried something new at didn't work really in terms of gameplay but I feel proud I tried something new and got it to work. I could have played it safe and maybe did better but no regrets here. Great job everyone!
pjbebi
Slime Knight

Post by pjbebi »

Wow! I'm flattered to be only one point behind Cthulu's Paradox. Feels good, though. Thanks everyone for playing and rating!
RMZ wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:54 pm I'm down for hosting it next year, I did warn everyone if I won the theme would be Breakfast Foods though.
Sounds like a sausage fest! My theme idea would be to make a self-parody game, so we can share the good karma in laughing at ourselves.
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

the real prize was the end pic and not having to host, total victory

congrats fen on the win, and to everyone else for some fun showings
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I uploaded a new version of Charb adventure. For those who never finished it, it should be much more doable now (with upgrades and a difficulty option). If you have beaten it already, then there's a new secret boss that doesn't require beating any of the other bosses, so hopefully it's worth redownloading for anyone.

viewtopic.php?p=141388#p141388

As always, let me know if there are any game breaking bugs. I always seem to miss several.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife