Ridiculous/Terrible Games Competition 2022 - The Homage Strikes Back

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Mogri
Super Slime

Re: Ridiculous/Terrible Games Competition 2022 - The Homage Strikes Back

Post by Mogri »

Hmm, looks like the software update overrode the spoiler styles.
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

can't wait to play these games!!

i'm so excited i'm giving a sneak peek--you'll never guess what happens next
Attachments
char_and_sword_being_cool.gif
char_and_sword_being_cool.gif (65.61 KiB) Viewed 2209 times
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Are they about to save Bob from the belly of the Jormungaling?
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Maybe they are going to help Bob cut off those bandages after how many years?

Whatever is going on, I love it
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

The 15th has come and gone, which means we're in the endgame. You've got TWO WEEKS to play (5) games, and vote on them, giving each one a point value from 1 (needs work) to 5 (spiffy).

Bob vs the OHR by Fenrir-Lunaris
Cthulhu's Paradox by RMZ
Global Warming by PJBebi
Hati's Bizarre Adventure: Twink Episode by Idontknow
OHR Afterlife by Spoonweaver

Please note - you don't have to play every game, though from what I've seen they're all (relatively) short. You might also be able to make your own impression of these by watching someone else play them, as these are likely to be played by people streaming them in the Slime Salad Discord channels. In other words, I won't be checking for if you "did your homework" on these, so long as you turn something in. Remember that you can only vote (once), and you may vote for your own game. If for whatever reason you want to remain anonymous, you may also PM me your votes. Otherwise, feel free to simply reply to this post!
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

Hey if you play my game you should probably re-download it, I forgot to give one of the bosses stats lmao
Working as intended!
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Forgive my lateness

viewtopic.php?t=8313
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:48 pm Otherwise, feel free to simply reply to this post!
gonna rank them from 5 (best) to 1 (worst), based on which ones were the most entertaining, even though that's not how the points system actually works in this contest :v:

5) Global WARming
5) Charbile's Hatful Adventure
5) Mystery Dungeon Friends 2
4) Bob VS The OHR
3) Hati's Bizarre Adventure: Twink Episode
2) Cthulhu's Paradox
1) OHR Afterlife

no ranking, and thus no points, are given to Charbile's Hatful Adventure because it missed the deadline, even though it's the best one update: CHA is now tied for first place because it's the best one
Last edited by Hedera on Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I would just like to stake my position that my submission would not be a true homage to Charbile if it had been submitted on time. Exhibit A is further up in this very thread.

(Also I just moved out of state this week and my house wasn't connected to the network until yesterday. Please have mercy, I couldn't have uploaded it on Friday even if I'd tried :zombie:)
Ps. I love my wife
polkakitty
Red Slime

Post by polkakitty »

Regardless of who wins the competition (or whether Charbile's Hatful Adventure is actually considered to be part of it,) I move that Kylekrack be given a special award for the most convincing recreation of another OHRer's style. You had me honestly believing that Charbile worked on your game himself through the first two boss battles. (What gave it away was the fact that the portraits of the characters' faces aren't *quite* a match for Charbile's visual style, and more importantly, you just used the normal built-in OHR text boxes.)

Unfortunately, there's some kind of bug that's stopping me progressing now. After beating the first two bosses, I can see Charmile on the other side of the Charnile River, but there doesn't seem to be a way to interact with him, and the walk-through-walls and teleport-to-map-coordinates debug keys don't work because all movement in the game is custom-scripted. I would give a better and more specific bug report, but it took me about 20 tries each to beat Charvile and Chadbile, so I can't really experiment with different ways of doing things in an expedient manner.

Still, I'd love to see something like Charbile's Hatful Adventure expanded into a game like Link to the Past or Bastion, with a world map to explore and character progression. I'm not sure the whole "everything and everyone is Charbile, including Kylekrack" joke could be stretched out that far, but I feel like it could at least be extended enough to have a scene where Kylekrack gets into an argument with Fenrir's Kyle about who's the real Charkyle.
"It was right through those trees; I'm not insane
That's where the fin tried to drag me in
Don't look at me, look at where I'm pointing
Close your eyes, see what I see, Canajoharie..."
-- They Might Be Giants
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Sorry, that's an issue with save/load. I added in saving last minute and forgot about how NPC and wallmap changes aren't saved in save files. I'm working on that fix as well as a few others. Currently the only way to avoid that bug is to avoid talking to Charmile at all until you've defeated both bosses. That, or beat the bosses without dying, but that's a little more risky. I'll make the fix account for existing save files too, so you don't have to restart to progress.

Edit: Fixes uploaded. Changes are detailed on the game page.
Ps. I love my wife
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Global WARming - 3 (the enemy AI instantly shooting at you when they can gets a bit old)

Bob VS The OHR - 4 (The art and gags were great, but I found the maps rather big and enemy)

Hati's Bizarre Adventure: Twink Episode - 4 (Game really opened up after the first dungeon)

Cthulhu's Paradox - 3 (some mechanics were really rough and a lot of assets were borrowed)

OHR Afterlife - 5 (my game is perfect)

Charbile's Hatful Adventure - 3 (If it was on time and fully working it would get a 4, the game was very short, content few and far between, and the boss hitboxes being on their shadows was a bit odd)

Mystery Dungeon Friends 2 - 4 Change from a 3 to 4 because of how good it is
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

how can you complain about assets being borrowed for Cthulhus Paradox and not HBA:TE? despite the HUGE amount of original assets in Cthulhu's Paradox?
It has voice acting from several people in the community, and a lot of original sprites, animation, background, UI, etc., in a variety of styles throughout.
Just look at the animated tiles! They could be used as an addition or extension to Fnrrf's 8bit set.

I take it that you didn't complete it. Because debug keys are not enabled.

what a hypocrite. this is why no-one will work with you. who wants to face double standards?
I wouldn't trust your judgements I think.
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

SwordPlay wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:48 pm how can you complain about assets being borrowed for Cthulhus Paradox and not HBA:TE? despite the HUGE amount of original assets in Cthulhu's Paradox?
It has voice acting from several people in the community, and a lot of original sprites, animation, background, UI, etc., in a variety of styles throughout.
Just look at the animated tiles! They could be used as an addition or extension to Fnrrf's 8bit set.

I take it that you didn't complete it. Because debug keys are not enabled.

what a hypocrite. this is why no-one will work with you. who wants to face double standards?
Looks like someone's a grouchy Swordplay today!

I have completed all of the games, 100%
Specifically, after I had played it, the Cthulhu game was even played for everyone to see, on stream.
Which is something you'd know if you didn't leave the discord due to arguing with everyone and then feeling bad about it all the time.

My reasoning stated is not the full picture of how I scored things. Several things were taken into account that I don't feel like going over nor am I expected to as a voter.
And disagreeing with a vote and making a scene is honestly disgusting swordplay. You're scaring off other voters and possibly manipulating scores because a lot of people avoid conflict and you're making this a conflict. I suggest you delete your post and rethink your actions.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Spoonweaver wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:22 pm
SwordPlay wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:48 pm ...
Looks like someone's a grouchy Swordplay today!

I have completed all of the games, 100%
Specifically, after I had played it, the Cthulhu game was even played for everyone to see, on stream.
Which is something you'd know if you didn't leave the discord due to arguing with everyone and then feeling bad about it all the time.

My reasoning stated is not the full picture of how I scored things. Several things were taken into account that I don't feel like going over nor am I expected to as a voter.
And disagreeing with a vote and making a scene is honestly disgusting swordplay. You're scaring off other voters and possibly manipulating scores because a lot of people avoid conflict and you're making this a conflict. I suggest you delete your post and rethink your actions.
I left the discord so I can spend more time with my friend IRL. I do not particularly care for the discord, arguing or no.

Also I don't care what you say either. You tossed the most low-effort game (which you scored highest...), with no original assets as far as I can see, and overlooked another game, but called out another game by RMZ, because of "assets" (your stated reason)

You are a HYPOCRITE. I do not trust you. I would not work with you. I'm not even listening to you right now. I hope you enjoy chilling on the discord or whatever though, lol
"Imagination. Life is your creation."