Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Game of the Year 2021

Post by Spoonweaver »

Untitled.png
Untitled.png (14.2 KiB) Viewed 1923 times
Whoops!!
I meant to post this earlier. Like sometime in January. Been a busy month!

So, game of the year is nothing new.
However, I wanted to do something to both bring focus to great games made by the community recently, as well as honor traditions.
I will be giving out Trophies (much like the trophy given out for Heart of the OHR the year before)

There will be 2 trophies given out and I want to basically keep doing this every year, (unless there comes a time where everyone abandons the ohr and there are no good games at all made for a year or 2)
Next year I will likely increase the trophy count to 4, but we're only doing 2 to start.

So what are the trophies for and how do you get one?!
The two trophies are:
Game of the Year 2022
Heart Award (RPG of the Year) 2022

Next year I will be adding Brain award (Ploscripting of the Year) and the Gut Award (Joke Game of the year)
To get one, your game has to be voted to win in that category.
Voting runs until the end of February and any game is eligible that was released last year (or received a large enough update to be generally accepted as a new release). Please vote for your first second and third choices in each category. Yes, the same game can win both awards.

I'll add a list of which games those are soon, but you are free to start voting now.

(Keep in mind that you don't have to agree to share your address if you win, but you would need to do so to get your trophy. Failure to provide your address will not change the winner and no trophy will be given out in the case that this happens)

List:
Miss Blink
Shroud House
Block Bonanza
Ad Mortem
Killer of Dead
Atmans' Hyperspace Chronicle
Video Goose
Mystery Dungeon Friends
fishing 2 demo
Dead Man's Tale
Mirror World
Time Girl 1998
STOAT.rpg
Ancient Gondola Tablet
Landscape Champ '58
Dungeon
The Witch's Teddy
Deception Tale: Reborn
Knight Slights: OHR
Knight Slights
Missing You
Red Triangle Entertainment System
Super Walrus Super Collection
UNTITLED WEED GAME
Eeeeethical Hacking - Shareware Version
Digital Soul Data
Shadowcatcher
Pokemon Yell-OHR Edition!
Number Entry Scenes
3D Maze Base Scripts [v2]
Beehive Simulator
Character creator demo
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
RMZ
King Slime

Re: Game of the Year 2021

Post by RMZ »

I'm gonna nominate Stoat for Best RPG of the year, and Shroud House for best game of the year.
pjbebi
Slime Knight

Post by pjbebi »

this might steal the place in my heart occupied by the heart of ohr. also. I second Stoat as RPG of the year.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Landscape Champ
Shroud House
Super Walrus Entertainment System (if it qualifies)
Digital Soul Data
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

shroud house for goty
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I added a list of all the qualifying games. (yes the 2 collections are questionable. I'll leave them on the list and leave it up to you whether ti include them or not.)
Please try to provide a list of 3 games from your top pick to 3rd top pick for both game of the year and top rpg category.
It's valid to continue doing what you've all been doing though.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

There weren't a lot of games released in 2021, all thing considered. Lots of projects were teased, but for the most part I feel like most of us were burned out from the pandemic rampaging like a wildfire, and all the other day-to-day challenges that were thrown at us.

RPG

(1) STOAT.RPG - Out of all the games released during Summer Slam, this one is STILL being talked about and brought up all the time (at least in the Discord Server). That, and I think it would be hilarious if the "best RPG" was the one where the RPG mechanics were really only an afterthought. (And also I know Spoon would think it'd be funny to give Roninnathatendocatholickarr a trophy for a game of his that he didn't make.)
(2) Eeeeethical Hacking (Demo) - Another fantastic game by Idontknow about Fennecs. This isn't a trend, I swear.
(3) Mystery Dungeon Friends - It's the character interactions in this one that give it so much charm. But let's be fair, this one's extremely incomplete.

Best Game

(1) Knight Sleights: OHR - There's a little bit of something for everyone here, and even if you don't get the references, it's still a wild ride. Also this was the only game I remember that had pinecones in it.
(2) Fishing 2 (Demo) - I don't really care about fishing games to be honest, but I'm excited about the Dating Sim prospects, and the wonderful graphical work in this one.
(3) Block Bonanza - I still think a Tetris Attack clone would've been a better choice, but I can't deny that this game has style.
pjbebi
Slime Knight

Post by pjbebi »

I'm gonna do a real top 3 for both categories. But I can't find a download for Eeeethical Hacking. Anybody got a link?
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I don't know if it makes sense to vote for the Walrus Collection for this but the framing device of the arcade and the collectibles are all new content, even if the mini games included are re-releases.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

In the past people have complained about running these votes being a bad thing, not enough voters or games, etc, but actually anything that makes people aware of what games were released and maybe even result in them playing some is a good thing, and I've been missing it.

But... time for my pet peeve... how exactly are you going to decide the winner, Borda?
pjbebi wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:49 pm I'm gonna do a real top 3 for both categories. But I can't find a download for Eeeethical Hacking. Anybody got a link?
Just go to the gamelist and scroll past 50 posts by me to find it.

Eeeeethical Hacking - Shareware Version

Incidentally, Idontknow is apparently still working on it, though no new version.
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

TMC wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:29 pmJust go to the gamelist and scroll past 50 posts by me to find it.
is it supposed to be like that, I remember it being searchable and having tags
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Nah, the gamelist is only half-functional.

But there's a search form right at the top of the Gamelist forum! It does work.

Unfortunately, the gamelist on the old forums no longer works.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

TMC wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:29 pm But... time for my pet peeve... how exactly are you going to decide the winner, Borda?
If it comes to that. Generally I think the winner is normally pretty clear with 2nd and third place acting as tie breakers.
How much each 1st or 2nd places arer worth should only come into play if 1 game gets a few 1st places and no 2nd places and another gets all the second places at which point we'd need to figure out who wins there and it would be taken to a judgement call situation where I, as the host, would determine who won based on a manner I would explain while announcing. Again this is only in the event of a tie happening where different amounts of first place, second place and some third place votes take place, which is very unlikely.
pjbebi wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:49 pm I'm gonna do a real top 3 for both categories. But I can't find a download for Eeeethical Hacking. Anybody got a link?
not enough e's
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Spoonweaver wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:44 am it would be taken to a judgement call situation where I, as the host, would determine who won based on a manner I would explain while announcing. Again this is only in the event of a tie happening where different amounts of first place, second place and some third place votes take place, which is very unlikely.
:gonk: :gonk: :gonk:
...It could be worse. You could get someone less qualified to make the call.

So you just want to declare a single winner for each category instead of ranking them, not even 1st/2nd/3rd place? But getting a runner-up positione is also a prize, bragging rights, so I suggest that you do. And it's more helpful for people looking for the best games too.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

TMC wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:07 am
Spoonweaver wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:44 am it would be taken to a judgement call situation where I, as the host, would determine who won based on a manner I would explain while announcing. Again this is only in the event of a tie happening where different amounts of first place, second place and some third place votes take place, which is very unlikely.
:gonk: :gonk: :gonk:
...It could be worse. You could get someone less qualified to make the call.

So you just want to declare a single winner for each category instead of ranking them, not even 1st/2nd/3rd place? But getting a runner-up positione is also a prize, bragging rights, so I suggest that you do. And it's more helpful for people looking for the best games too.
considering the way people are voting, results are going to have to be cobbled together. it is what it is.
To anyone looking for games to play you need only look above at what people are voting for. If even 1 person thinks something is goty, then it's likely worth a look.