Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

The Official OHR No Contest Contest

Post by Spoonweaver »

Hello Everyone in OHR Land!
maxresdefault.png
maxresdefault.png (136.08 KiB) Viewed 2263 times
It's time once again to talk about the BIG contest of the year.
In seasons past, there has been talk of how our communities many "contests" have gotten in the way of greatness.
"Time spent making contest games is better spent on making big projects instead," they'd say.
Well here's the solution, in contest form!!

This contest is the contest to see who can go the longest without starting an OHR contest!

Starting the 30th of this month, the contest to end all contests will begin!
FAQ:
How do I enter?
You either post in this forum or start a contest!

How do I win?
You don't start an ohr contest until this contest is over.

When is it and how long is it?
This contest starts on Jan. 30th 2022 and ends on Jan 1st 2023.

Isn't this a contest? Don't you lose by default?
No, this one doesn't count.

What do I win?
When the contest is over, everyone that entered without posting a contest wins a spoon box. Other prizes may be added later.

What if someone just ignores this contest and posts one anyways?
Their contest loss will be documented on the OHR wiki for all to see. They will also be forced to pay the other people in the contest a small fee to be determined later.

But I have a contest idea!! Can I post it now and run a really fast contest?
You are free to do what you like! However, any contest still running on the 30th will be subject to this contest's rules and will result in a contest loss.

What if I make a contest and say everyone is hosting it so we all lose!?
Only the poster of the contest and those that actively agree, in writing, to hosting it with the poster are subject to the contest loss.

What about a contest that doesn't involve making games?
Those are fine.
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Re: The Official OHR No Contest Contest

Post by Feenicks »

What about myself, who's already running a contest?
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Hmm, and here I was just thinking I had a pretty good idea on how to give Heart of the OHR a proper blowout of a sendoff that would make it the most memorable ever, while giving me an excuse to end it the right way, with the perfect ending, the only way it can end, which 2020 didn't quite do, and finally bringing closure to anyone who ever wanted to participate but didn't (or did but wanted to participate again), as well as give me the peace of mind that I've ended it at the right time in the right way, and...

Oh well. It was just a thought.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

This is cute, and I get the joke, but you can't force people to unwillingly participate in this contest :D
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Bob the Hamster wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:02 pm This is cute, and I get the joke, but you can't force people to unwillingly participate in this contest :D
Based on the rules of the contest, you just entered sir. Also I guess by replying I did too...
pjbebi
Slime Knight

Post by pjbebi »

I don't see how, but I hope this encourages people to finish their Real games. Either way, I intend to keep my name in the Newest Games section for the next forever.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Feenicks wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:08 am What about myself, who's already running a contest?
I mean, yours wraps up on the 30th so it took place before this contest so it's fine.
Pepsi Ranger wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:18 am Hmm, and here I was just thinking I had a pretty good idea on how to give Heart of the OHR a proper blowout of a sendoff that would make it the most memorable ever, while giving me an excuse to end it the right way, with the perfect ending, the only way it can end, which 2020 didn't quite do, and finally bringing closure to anyone who ever wanted to participate but didn't (or did but wanted to participate again), as well as give me the peace of mind that I've ended it at the right time in the right way, and...

Oh well. It was just a thought.
Sounds intriguing.
Bob the Hamster wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:02 pm ..you can't force people to unwillingly participate in this contest :D
I believe I can!
Bob the Hamster wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:02 pm the joke
shhh, you'll ruin it!!

But as some may have understood, this is a joke.
There have been some people, not to name names (insert names here later. don't forget) that have said that the OHR contests distract from the real goal of making a massively popular indie game. And then normally a discussion about what people's are or what they should be normally starts up which is all very interesting/crazy.
However, to prove a point I decided that we'll make the idea of not having contests official. Which in itself was a contest.
But what I truly was hoping for was that the people wanting to hold a contest would speak up and let people know what they had planned.
This is because I have had people come to me explaining how they planned to hold such and such contest at a certain time but that I started a contest and now they can't. So to that I say, please let people actually know you plan to hold a contest ahead of time. It would be great if we could have some sort of community calendar. There are ALWAYs people talking about how they don't have time right now, wish it was later, and all that.
It would be great if there was a way to actually know and plan accordingly for these things.
Also, there is no reason at all that 2 contests can't be held at the same time. I understand that we have limited people here and that entries are already strained enough, but 1 person posting a contest doesn't make it a rock solid community truth, as should be clear, by this contest I've hosted here.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Understood :D

Now I am thinking about the best way for me to "lose" this contest this year :devil:

What I love about contests is that they motivate us, they give us a deadline, and they force us to narrow the scope of what we are working on.

Thank you for prompting this conversation in such a fun and silly way
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Well fine, I'll bite. I have a contest idea I'm still tooling around with called OHR Bingo, in an effort to get people to use the engine in unique and maybe different days.

I would take ideas from the document I'm working on ( and arrange them in a way that to get bonus points for your entry you must use a full row of items. I haven't finished tinkering with it, but yeah, the idea is 2-3 judges create the base score of a game based on the average of their scores, then if the game qualifies for 5 spaces it gets that bonus. If there's at least 3 people interested I can forfeit my chance to win the No Contest Contest and run it. Was thinking of a prize being a golden goose.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

There have been some people, not to name names (insert names here later. don't forget) that have said that the OHR contests distract from the real goal of making a massively popular indie game.
well, my goal is not to make a "massively popular indie game" so can i be exempt from this contest?

I don't intend to hold any contests, but that's not the point.
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

A wise man in another thread wrote:Oh, I'm not too sure I'm going to do many non-contest games, just because I wouldn't really know where to begin. That's kind of the great thing about contests. A bunch of games come out all at once, so you can spend a bunch of times playing games that are not only still being worked on, but are topical so they're likely to be being talked about on here by other people.
I found this quote while researching statistics for the Heart of the OHR Contest Archives. It's similar to something I wrote in the final article for the archives. I think it's the counterargument to the point that (insert names here later. don't forget) said about contests distracting from the business of creating. In short, the main argument is faulty. Why make a game if no one is interested in playing it? At least when it's part of a contest, someone's likely to play it and give feedback. That's in many ways why we have so many of them. That said, it would be interesting to see how prolific authors are and responsive players are without the influence of a contest. Would it prove the main argument true? Or would the counterargument win?

Anyway...
A wise man in this thread wrote:Sounds intriguing.
I thought so, too. There's actually two ways to approach it to make it the best ever. This contest would encourage one of those approaches. But the other approach might be more rewarding.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Here: https://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgc ... t_calendar
A Centralized Contest Calender everyone has access to editing and anyone can add to and check.

It's current contents are:
January
The 2022 class creation contest, hosted by Feenick
February
RMZ's Bingo Crapshoot, hosted by RMZ
March
April
Ridiculos Game COMPETITION 2022, hosted by Fenrir
May
June
July
August
September
October
November
December

Currently Unscheduled
Hot:Ohr 2 Pepsi's Revenge, hosted by Pepsi Ranger
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Currently Unscheduled
Hot:Ohr 2 Pepsi's Revenge, hosted by Pepsi Ranger
It's still unofficial as I'm still deciding whether I want to do this one more time, but I do know that if I bring it back this year, it'll be in July. You can put it on the calendar as "possibly" for that month.

Note: This one will play well with other contests.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

Spoonweaver wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:04 pm But what I truly was hoping for was that the people wanting to hold a contest would speak up and let people know what they had planned.
This is because I have had people come to me explaining how they planned to hold such and such contest at a certain time but that I started a contest and now they can't.

Also, there is no reason at all that 2 contests can't be held at the same time. I understand that we have limited people here and that entries are already strained enough, but 1 person posting a contest doesn't make it a rock solid community truth, as should be clear, by this contest I've hosted here.
This was the primary reason I didn't host the RGC last year, on account of Summer Slam and the Spring Contest and all that going on at the same time. Namely, I didn't want to take away attention from what other people had going on. The main issue with hosting too many contests at once is that it takes a while to make a game, and we can only put so many hours into one particular project in a limited timeframe. Otherwise you end up with the issue where one of us ends up with like ten different games "in production" and never ends up completing any of them (a feeling I know all too well).

So if you want your contest to be a success and generate more then two or three entries at best - your contest CAN NOT be held at the same time that other contests are going on.

That being said, to fit into the idea of no contests, the RGC is officially being branded this year as the "RIDICULOUS GAMES COMPETITION".