Playscii: an innovative ASCII drawing and game making engine, in python

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Playscii: an innovative ASCII drawing and game making engine, in python

Post by SwordPlay »

Playscii is an open source ASCII art, animation, and game creation program. It runs on Windows, Linux, and macOS.
it has several functions for creating ascii art, including converting images to ascii, support for layers, animations, multiple ascii font sets and palettes, that kinda stuff
you can programatically create ascii art using python commands. very cool!

but even more interesting is the game engine which has various cool functions, not least collision.
it is hindered a bit by being extremely simplistic, but maybe that's a good thing?
seems like the kind of thing where if you know what you're doing, it's really powerful.
yes all the game elements are ascii. not it is not (merely) grid-based.
the ascii things you create in the art editor can be loaded into the game engine, as well.
there are cool example games like a shooter and platformer etc.,

the documentation is a bit hard for me to wrap my head around, and any invalid scripting seems to cause the whole program to close instantly, which is annoying, but it seems there will be better support in future
the game editor lets you edit and inspect as you play the game, so maybe thats why it closes? still very cool

i'm so in love right now, if only i understood python, it'd be perfect. guess I have to practice for a few decades first.
it's a bit rough around the edges, but future development plans are very promising.

http://vectorpoem.com/playscii/

i can't find any tutorials on it, most people seem to use it to make art, you can see things other people have made on twitter
https://twitter.com/playscii
"Imagination. Life is your creation."