Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Feenicks
Metal Slime

The 2022 class creation contest

Post by Feenicks »

The 2022 class creation contest

.rpg file [HERE]

It's a new year, and with that comes all those pesky new year's resolutions - learn something new, kick a bad habit, finally go somewhere or do something.

So, in that spirit, here's a contest about putting together a [preferably offbeat] RPG class.

What I'm looking for are a 2 things:
1. 1 Hero, preferably set up with a few [3-6] skills that show off and tie together the class you're designing.
2. 3 new enemies/formations: 1 that the class can easily deal with, 1 that the class is average at dealing with, and 1 that they have trouble with.

I'm not going to stop you from using a bit of plotscripting to help make whatever concept you have work, but don't go overboard.

Some questions to keep in mind:

- Is the class conceptually neat?
- Your traditional fighter or mage have been done a ton. Go for a class that you haven't seen before, or haven't had the chance to try putting together!

- Does the class work well?
- It's easy to make a class that is just clunky to work with, requiring multiple turns to set themselves up for little benefit. Avoid that!
- I'm also including classes that work completely different than advertised in here. If you made a healer that ends up working better when it's beating up enemies... well, relabel them!

- Are the skills worth using?
- This may seem similar to the above question, but there's a subtle but important difference. Think of all the status effect skills you don't bother using in your stereotypical RPG; you can do better than those!

- Is the class reasonably powerful?
- Nobody wants to have a party member that can't help out in battle at all. Likewise, a party member that can instantly kill every single enemy on the battlefield from a flat start makes battles pointless. Find a balance between the two!

Come this Friday [the 7th], I'll provide a base file with a bunch of stuff [graphics, some ultra-generic attacks/heroes/items] in which you can build the classes in. From that point, you'll have until the 30th to submit your class, preferably in a way that doesn't clog up the gamelist.
Last edited by Feenicks on Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mogri
Super Slime

Re: The 2020 class creation contest

Post by Mogri »

This is a great idea for a contest.

Are we limited to using a single character, or can we:
  • include the contest character in a party with conventional characters?
  • include multiple contest entries in the same party?
(also, it's 2022)
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Re: The 2022 class creation contest

Post by Feenicks »

I've set up some basic heroes in the .rpg file to fill out the party [both as a marker for the target power level and as someone to style on], so yes to the first question.

I kinda want to shy away from having multiple contest entries in the same party, as that muddies things a bit, but if the multiple party members rely on each other for stuff then go ahead.

...and yes, I suppose it's not actually 2020 [take 3].
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

Well, it's Friday here. I've linked the .rpg file in the first post.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Monster Cultist
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dxu4swcofae19 ... t.rpg?dl=0

Collect parts of dead monsters, donate them to your cult, unlock abilities!
Only 1 ability at a time! Choose which one you want at the shrine!
The more you donate the stronger your abilities become!
Different parts give different abilities, normally roughly based on what the part is from.
The Monster Cultist uses claws and armor similar to a rogue type character.
Stats are similar to a rogue minus speed and aim, which are equal to a mage.
Magic skill, which is the determining factor for all abilities learned for the Monster Cultist, is set based on the ability you have equiped.
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

I'm sure you're all working hard on your entries.
Remember; if you don't want Spoonweaver to win by default, you better get your entry in by next Sunday.

If you're having trouble thinking of something, take a [look] [at] these], maybe?
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Kickpuncher

Perform special moves by combining your attacks! There's a full spoiler list in-game.

This character ends up working not quite as well as I'd hoped, since chaining is breaking when the attack kills the target. This feels like a bug, since there's a bitset for "Don't retarget if the target is lost," and I didn't select that. As a result, you may not see special moves when Kickpuncher kills with a normal attack.

My only other regret is that I didn't come up with especially creative special moves for Kickpuncher. On the other hand, I'm very happy that the combo system works at all, and the intermediate fight ("Traffic Light") gives you some good opportunities to perform special moves. If you want to mess around with Kickpuncher without interruptions, there's a training dummy in the "TEST" NPC.

I had originally planned for three-attack combos instead of two. I'm glad I changed my mind. The tag management would've been awful for three.
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

Two entries is a bit weak, so I've decided to extend this contest one more week.

You now have until the 30th to submit your entry.
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

Arc

A bit of a simpler class, but:

Arc is your ultra-specialized electric mage, capable of wiping out weaker hordes with ease but having serious trouble only hitting specific targets.

They have all of three attacks:
1. An electric arcing spell, which first hits one enemy then hits every enemy for weaker damage.
2. Another electric spell, which hits three random enemies.
3. An oddball MP drain skill, which can drain serious amounts of MP but only if their own MP is lower than the enemy's [and seeing how Arc is of the high-MP-but-high-MP-cost variety of mage, that can be an issue].

In addition, they get a magic buff whenever they're hit with an electric spell.
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

Here's all three entries bundled up for easy access.

You have until the 14th to get your votes in.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I vote for myself
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

Sorry spoon, but the deadline for voting was two days ago.
the results.jpg
the results.jpg (650.89 KiB) Viewed 1963 times
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Everyone's a winner!
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

Anyway, some comments from me on all three entries:

_____

Arc: I like having a mage fall in between single-target damage and all-target damage, but maybe I could've been a bit better on that front. I also feel I should've made her MP requirements even more strict, so that you're having to dive into her mp draining ability a bit more often, and also feel like the enemy examples involved were way too blunt.
Like her design though, so I might end up using her in something short after I wrap up FS.

Monster Cultist: Getting skills from enemies is almost always cool, but having it limited to one special skill at a time, and none of them being unique or properly themed to a cultist, definitely brings it down a bunch. Also you can't equip their weapon.
Spoon why are you like this

Kickpuncher: Combos are a neat idea, and what those combos are is neat as well. That setting up those combos can be a downside is also a nice way to balance them out.
My only criticism is that the battle system doesn't have a great way of showing what came earlier in the combo string, which on one hand is a way of making it more skill-intensive, but also punishes people who can forget things very easily such as myself.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Feenicks wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:31 pm Spoon why are you like this
>Insults the only person to enter his contest on time for a setting mistake.
Gee, wonder why people didn't enter.