A couple questions about O.H.R.

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

MindFuzz
Slime

A couple questions about O.H.R.

Post by MindFuzz »

Are most games here made with it? Like the Christmas Tower (or something similar) first-person game? Time Girl? My current version is etheldreme 20171203. Been playing some games, but haven't been in the mood to make one.

Also, have any O.H.R. games ever made it to Steam?
TMC
Metal King Slime

Re: A couple questions about O.H.R.

Post by TMC »

Yes, Festivus and Feenick's other first-person games and Time Girl are made with the OHRRPGCE, as are almost all games on the gamelist. The engine is plenty flexible enough to make non-RPGs, though it takes extra work. I was going to say that virtually all the non-OHR games are tagged "non-ohr" but then I remembered that game tags were lost when the forum was replaced with phpbb3.

Etheldreme was a while ago, though not so much has changed. Mostly variable sized sprites and mouse and gamepad support. See https://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgc ... ease_Dates for an overview of releases.

There are a number of OHR games on Steam. A near complete list:

There are also others that are unreleased, like Walthros Renewal, and Macabre which is no longer for sale.

Edit: wow, wasn't expecting those links to turn into embeds.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

TMC you forgot the best one :v:

My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Uh... whoops. That was an old list which didn't even have Axe Cop before I added it. I wonder if I'm missing anything else.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I put up a bunch of old short games for free on Steam early this year but it got very little traction

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

This one too!

MindFuzz
Slime

Post by MindFuzz »

Oh cool! I should have remembered Festivus, it's one of my favorite holidays! Airing of grievances is always my favorite.

That's cool to see there are so many.

Is there a guide to making the other styles of game? Like the point and clicks, or the large walkabout in games like Time Girl 1988? The first persons are also nifty.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

There isn't really a manual on it, unfortunately. There's barely tutorials for the base engine. That being said, some people have made some efforts to write guides on certain mechanics, like side-scrolling mechanics. Conveniently, even some of those are now (sort of) obsolete with the introduction of better scripting commands (see: https://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgc ... ling_games and scroll to the bottom for some good tutorials on side scrolling).

Specifically, big walkabouts no longer require any scripting. You can resize any sprite in Custom.exe by selecting the spriteset (eg. click the part that says "Set #", not the individual frames). It will give you options for editing the spriteset's width/height.

First person games are wizardry by Feenicks, who I believe has released the first-person scripts with the disclaimer that they're hard to use effectively. TMC also made that magical 3D demo, but I doubt it's usable beyond a demo.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

Yeah, you can find the scripts here.
Fair warning; although I did clean up the scripts, there's still a serious amount of messing around with scripts and slices needed for this, to say nothing of putting together all the graphics needed for this.