Quick Question: Can't see heroes MP in battle

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

guo
Metal Slime

Quick Question: Can't see heroes MP in battle

Post by guo »

Hey!

I've looked for a solution, but can't seem to see heroes MP/meters in battle. HP is visible, I don't have MP hidden in stat visibility and I have "show heroes mp meter" enabled.

I'm probably missing something super obvious, thanks in advance!
vvight.wordpress.com
TMC
Metal King Slime

Re: Quick Question: Can't see heroes MP in battle

Post by TMC »

The MP meter is shown if the Show MP meter general pref bit is on, and the MP stat isn't hidden for that particular hero.

If it's not working, check that you have the MP meter color set to something you can see. If that's not it then apparently you found a bug? The code looks correct to me though. Also if using Test Game, you could try quitting and restarting the game, although it shouldn't be required.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Ah, there it is. I didn't realise it was now a smaller bar underneath/overlaying the HP bar! Am I remembering correctly that there used to be an MP meter/value next to the HP bar?

Also, while I have you and we're on the topic of "bugs"... I have enemies spawn an invisible "reward giving" enemy when hit with certain elements... sometimes those spawned enemies aren't invisible though, and take on the sprite of whatever spawned them. Any ideas?

Cheers
vvight.wordpress.com
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

No, there has never been an MP display (though there ought to be; there's the MP display in spell lists) or a different form of MP meter. It had to be made small to fit in, but letting people customise the battle slices would be a solution.
Also, while I have you and we're on the topic of "bugs"... I have enemies spawn an invisible "reward giving" enemy when hit with certain elements... sometimes those spawned enemies aren't invisible though, and take on the sprite of whatever spawned them. Any ideas?
Great Scott that's a serious bug! And the slots they spawned into had been empty the whole time? How often does that happen? Can I have a test case? (For such rare random bugs, I wish we made it easier to record a game playthrough. Hmm, maybe I'll work on that now)
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

I have noticed it happens in battles with multiple enemies, usually after one enemy has died. So they may be spawning into a previously occupied spot.
I can record a gameplay vid of it happening sometime, and send a test file if you'd like?
vvight.wordpress.com
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

How difficult is it to reproduce? That's what we really need to be able to fix it. Is it possible to have a save before a battle and a procedure for causing it?
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Thanks TMC, I have sent you a private message with the files and relevant info.
vvight.wordpress.com
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Filed as #1221 Enemy spawned with 0 HP appears with sprite of dead enemy / disagreements about what enemies exist/are alive

I wanted to clean enemy appear/death/flee animations anyway, as part of work towards animations, so I might get to fixing this before Ichorescent
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Rad, I haven't had time to try anything else out in the last couple of days. Does the "win battle even if alive" bitset still give the rewards even if the enemy wasn't killed?
vvight.wordpress.com
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

No, you won't get rewards. I had thought there was a "Get rewards even if left alive" enemy bit, but there isn't -- probably it's a memory of someone requested it.

The testing isn't necessary, since I've been doing some of my own. Turns out that enemies spawned with 0 HP are totally broken in lots of ways, and I don't want to attempt a quick fix for it because I'm likely to break something else.
guo
Metal Slime

Post by guo »

Ok, thanks. I'll try and work around it for now.
vvight.wordpress.com