OHRRPGCE stable release (Hróðvitnir)

Announcements that go here will appear on the front page.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

OHRRPGCE stable release (Hróðvitnir)

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Most of you cool kids at Slimesalad already know what is in the nightlyies, but guess what? That stuff is in the stable release now!

The hróðvitnir stable release of the OHRRPGCE brings SDL2 as the default backend on (almost) all platforms, a lovely re-write gamepad handling, a global pool of NPC definitions to share between any map, and more bugfixes than you can shake a modestly sized stick at! This release also celebrates the completion of Fenrir Lunaris's Vikings of Midgard

* https://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/Downloads
* https://hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/whatsnew.txt
TMC
Metal King Slime

Re: OHRRPGCE stable release (Hróðvitnir)

Post by TMC »

You're probably wondering how to pronounce hróðvitnir! It's (at least in Icelandic, which is supposedly the closest to Old Norse) throw-da-vit-nish (listen; compare Mjöðvitnir), though maybe the t is more of a soft 'ch' sound.

You might also be wondering how to type it. I have my keyboard layout set to US International with AltGr dead key AND right-super as a compose key, so I can type ó three different ways!

Phew. Hróðvitnir is over 13 months late! Although mostly that was due to just not working on it, the big holdup was swapping to gfx_sdl2 and adding gamepad support. There were far more gfx_sdl2 bugs to iron out than expected, but it's a huge relief to no longer be stuck on SDL 1.2, which has been obsolete and unsupported for 14 years.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

And if anyone was wondering how I type hróðvitnir, I just copy-and-paste it from anywhere that TMC typed it! :D
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Post by FnrrfYgmSchnish »

* Deleting tilesets didn't delete default passability or animations, and
the tilesets reappeared, blanked out, when quitting & reloading [Ralph]
Oh man, am I glad to see this fixed. I've been using the tileset editor to make battle backdrops (it's the easiest way to do it when you're piecing them together from maptiles like I've done for... every game I've started on since 2008ish), and although that blank tileset on the end never caused any real issues it definitely got on my nerves.
FYS:AHS -- Working on Yagziknian NPC walkabout sprites
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

And I'm glad to hear someone cares about the small things too.
Of course, whenever I actually work on a game myself it's mainly minor things that I find annoying, but I suspect everyone has their own things which annoy them.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

I have also added the OHRRPGCE stable release to Itch.io here https://bob-the-hamster.itch.io/ohrrpgce
+3code
Slime

Post by +3code »

The win Gorgonzola installer was only around 8mb, this is almost 50mb, why?
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

The final version of Vikings of Midgard is included, and it has a lot of music.

We decided not to include Vikings in the other (non window installer) downloads

I suggest the zip file download if you need a smaller file
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Actually, it's 55MB not 50MB.

On the Downloads page you'll see:
Download full ZIP file (8MB)
Download minimalist ZIP file (5MB)

The full ZIP has everything except Vikings of Midgard. Maybe it's pointless to have a minimal .zip also available to save just 3MB (it excludes the default music, graphics, and some utilities that can be downloaded on first use instead) but having it makes me more comfortable to add stuff to the full zip in future, such as more music, graphics packs, tutorial or test .rpgs, and the HamsterWhisper code editor.
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

Was just poking around with the new version and... found that fullscreen seems to be totally broken in Custom (haven't tested Game yet.)

Rather than going to fullscreen with ALT+ENTER like it always used to, it stays in windowed mode and maximizes the window... but doesn't enlarge anything on the screen at all, so you end up with a "still default size" Custom editor screen in the upper left corner of a huge empty black void. I'm able to grab the corners and shrink it back down so there's no useless black space around the editor anymore, but actually going to fullscreen appears to be impossible.
pjbebi
Slime Knight

Post by pjbebi »

FnrrfYgmSchnish wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:39 am I'm able to grab the corners and shrink it back down so there's no useless black space around the editor anymore, but actually going to fullscreen appears to be impossible.
Are you in Windows? I always press F9 and scale the editor based how much window space I need.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Yep, that is intentional for Custom, and the F9 workaround pjbebi suggests is the best way to get close to the old behavior.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Yea, the full screen windowed mode is great for mapping.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Yes, it's intentional. It's true that the extra space is useless in many editors (the sprite & tile editors are the main ones that haven't been updated yet), but now that we're not restricted to 320x200 we're finally free to make various improvements to the UI. But you're not the first person to complain about the change in fullscreening behaviour. I suppose we could remember a separate zoom factor for fullscreen so that you don't have to change it every time. Or alternatively for high resolutions, such as: when the window grows large don't increase the resolution above 640x480, increase the zoom instead... with a separate setting for map editor zoom.

However, even in Custom, Alt-Enter is meant to full-screen, not maximise the window, so that would be a bug. Does it happen in Game also? Which gfx backend are you using? It's displayed at the bottom of the .rpg file browser in Game/Custom. Could I see c_debug.txt? Maybe it's a bug which is already fixed in nightlies - I made so many small fixes to gfx_sdl2 after hróðvitnir that I didn't write them all down; but that was never a bug on Linux.
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Metal Slime

TMC wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:21 am However, even in Custom, Alt-Enter is meant to full-screen, not maximise the window, so that would be a bug. Does it happen in Game also? Which gfx backend are you using? It's displayed at the bottom of the .rpg file browser in Game/Custom. Could I see c_debug.txt? Maybe it's a bug which is already fixed in nightlies - I made so many small fixes to gfx_sdl2 after hróðvitnir that I didn't write them all down; but that was never a bug on Linux.
The lower-right corner when I start up Custom says "SDL2/SDL2."

I tried it out again in Custom just now and oddly enough, this time it did actually go to fullscreen... though it was still the "everything in the upper left corner with massive black void of pointlessness elsewhere" version. And when I hit ALT+ENTER again, it goes back to windowed mode but keeps the same screen size rather than reverting to 320x200 like it was before hitting ALT+ENTER the first time. Maybe that's why I got mixed up and thought it just maximized rather than going to (...some version of) fullscreen.

Pushing F9 and setting zoom to 4x before going fullscreen seems to be a pretty close approximation of how "old fullscreen" worked, which is a relief.

Game seems to work pretty much the same as it did before, going to fullscreen normally when ALT+ENTER is pressed and not having any extra black void around the game when it goes back to normal.

So it looks like Game works as expected, but there may be a bug in Custom where going to fullscreen also maximizes the window. I just looked and it seems like there's been nothing new added to my c_debug.txt since April 2020, so I'm guessing that won't be terribly useful?