Where should I start?

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

WildWoodsmith
Slime

Where should I start?

Post by WildWoodsmith »

Hey all. I'm new to OHRRPGCE, only ever really used RPG Maker 2003. Aside from the HOWTO page on the wiki, were should I start learning? Are there any other resources out there?
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Re: Where should I start?

Post by Spoonweaver »

Someone made a tutorial into a game.
TutOHRial
It might be helpful.

The wiki is a great place to learn. All the details you should ever really need are documented there.

We are also available to answer any and all questions you might have.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I learned the engine by just trying to make something. It didn't go super well, but then I restarted and tried again with my newfound knowledge. You tend to find little details along the way as you focus on basic things. Eventually you get a good idea of what all the engine's tools are and where they are. It's just something that takes time to get familiar with.

But it depend on how you learn. I'm bad with tutorials because I have ADHD or something and get super distracted by things, so just poking around the engine myself worked for me. If the tutorials aren't working out, try coming up with a concept of something you'd like to make and then ask around for steps you get stuck on. The discord server has a q and a channel, if you prefer that method of communication. Uhh I should include a link, hold on...
https://discord.gg/eraEMBqy
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
pjbebi
Slime Knight

Post by pjbebi »

I think a lot of us started by making really basic games, figuring out how to use more advanced features later on. I don't even think the OHR had Tags back when I started using it. So making a really basic game was about the only thing that could be done. Still, by making something basic and playable, I figured out what kind of new things I wanted to put into my game. And once I knew that, I had to learn how to do it.
WildWoodsmith
Slime

Post by WildWoodsmith »

Spoonweaver wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:15 pm Someone made a tutorial into a game.
TutOHRial
It might be helpful.
I looked at that a few days ago and didn't see a download link, but oh well. There's one there now. Thanks for reminding me.

Thanks everybody! I've finished the HOWTO page on the wiki, and now I'm digging through the plotscripting dictionary. Out of curiosity, are there any other ex-RPG Maker users here?
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I think there are some users around who use/used RPG maker. I can't recall who, exactly....
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife