Red Triangle Games Projects (Development Thread)

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

RMZ
King Slime

Re: Red Triangle Games Projects (Development Thread)

Post by RMZ »

I think I swore I'd never do this again, but I've been playing Surfasaurus this week and having a lot of fun. I still don't understand how to tell people what it is. Anyways, I was thinking of "what could I do to make it better" and I'm planning on full game pad updates, boosting the frame rate, doing shadows the way I've been doing them lately for tiles. Might take another pass over the tiles in general. There's four types of trading card packs in the game for the various townspeople, I was honestly thinking, if I'm gonna go back to the game I could do another surge of townspeople too. I've got all the spreadsheets still, so adding in another 20-30 won't hurt anything. If anybody wants to be a townsperson feel free to reach out to me. Mostly been thinking of just adding in characters from my more recent games, like the knights from Knight Slights, Daniel and Amy from Video Goose, the roster of dudes from Block Bonanza.

I also finished all of the code and updates to Mr. Triangle's Maze last night. Worthy is going to adjust one of the mechanics to work for game pads, it's the only feature that uses a mouse. Then we're gonna add our Iron Triangle suit to another boss fight. After that, we just have to wait for Fenrir to get us the last two Steam achievement graphics and the game is good to go. I've tentatively put a July 1st release date.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

I had big bold plans to add 15 new townspeople to the game, then I went to add the sprites I did draw and realized I was at my maximum for NPCs on a map, so I added these four new ones to the purple card packs. Special thanks to Fenrir for letting me use two of his characters, and Charbile for offering up his and his lady's likeness for it. Game having more girl characters is always a good thing. Honestly, remembering how much work was involved with putting people into this game I'm relieved I can't do anymore NPCs. Building schedules, writing dialog, making trading cards, organizing card packs, card swap night statistics, etc. It's a bit much, so only doing four is fine with me.

After I sort out their NPC schedules and what days and times they are in the town, I'll work on building the Steam Achievements. I plan on there being a bunch since sooooo much data is collected in Surfasaurus. I might as well take the statistics page and just let that be most of the achievements. Having fun still, probably will be done with this update before mid-June I would say. Still wanna freshen up some of those tiles too.
Attachments
Surfasaurus0011.gif
Surfasaurus0011.gif (96.8 KiB) Viewed 1892 times
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Been working on Surfasaurus off and on for a while. I blame PJ for that being incomplete since he let me do art for his sidescroller. The art for that game is so much fun to do.

One thing I heard about Cthulhu's Paradox was how good people thought I was at animation. That comment was definitely an inspiration to try to do even more and make them even better. It's been especially fun on Tyler how I kind of draw as many frames and even alter sizes sometimes and it's totally good. It's just been a really fun and interesting process. I take a lot of pride in those animations even if they are absolutely absurd. I spent entirely too long researching how a plunger would look and how it should animate.

With the beta done and behind us, I'm gonna try to spend more time on Surfasaurus. I'd like to have it done and updated before Mr. Triangle's Maze is supposed to launch in early July. At this point I've redone most of the basic tiles for the town, it's subtle but I think the changes make the town look a little better. My goal was to never go for drastic changes, just freshen up. I'll adjust some of the proportions and color balancing of the tiles next.
Attachments
Surfasaurus0006.png
Surfasaurus0006.png (8.69 KiB) Viewed 1851 times
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Been chipping away at Surfasaurus, having fun still which is important for this endeavor I think. Added the four Knight Slights knights in most of the way. I'm trying to add flavor tiles and details to make the town have a little more personality, it's literally the entire setting of the game so it should. I did some flags and banners today, also updated some parasols. I don't really have a deadline for myself with this, just whenever it's done it's done kinda thing.

Mr. Triangle's Maze, barring I screwed up the thing Worthy and I discussed on the phone after testing, is done and will go into final final testing very soon. Just waiting on two pieces of art for Steam achievements and then that game is done. It does suck, but it's our fault, but the art I hired Fen to do was originally for Steam trading cards. I even made the files and had them ready to go but Steam changed their policy between when it was greenlit and now on those. Is what it is, they'll be better achievement graphics than they have any right to be.
Attachments
Surfasaurus0031.gif
Surfasaurus0031.gif (267.8 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Haven't worked on Surfasaurus stuff for a few weeks now, still hoping to have that done this summer.

Mr. Triangle's Maze is basically done, barring one thing I need Worthy to look at and the last two Steam achievement art pieces from Fenrir. I decided to change the palette earlier this year to something a little softer, which I like a lot, however it does mean all of my trailers and such do not reflect the game anymore so I made a new trailer for when the game releases. Currently this video is unlisted. I started this game when I had hair, in 2008 and it's been going out of business hard ever since. I thought it would be pretty funny to try to look like the Creator from the game to some degree. It's also the first time I actually narrated any of my own game commercials oddly enough. Also still hoping Mr. Triangle's Maze comes out this summer.

I also updated the title screen to do what it was always meant to do, riff on Megaman 9's title screen. Soda Piggy had drawn the art for it years ago modeled after it, and the music for it is even in the same spirit of it.
Attachments
TriMazeR0004.gif
TriMazeR0004.gif (131.58 KiB) Viewed 1693 times
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Well we have two super super tiny things to confirm, and then Mr. Triangle's Maze is done. Feels surreal and oddly emotional. If all goes well, in the next week or two this game will be on Steam and itch for everyone to play.
TriMazeR0012.gif
TriMazeR0012.gif (118.63 KiB) Viewed 1566 times
Also since I just shared the standard game's title screen load in, here's the one for the virus levels with Slither.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Worthy and I fixed the final bug last night. It was a massively stupid one too, but I'm proud to say that Mr. Triangle's Maze is finished after 15 long years. It's nuts how much life can happen or slow down a project from completion with a team in that time. It's still waiting on approval for Steam, but I finished the itch page.

https://redtrianglegames.itch.io/mrtrianglesmaze

Think in the next few weeks Worthy and I will do a retrospective interview in the same style I did with SodaPiggy for Axe Cop so if you have any questions you want us to answer together let me know.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

This looks cool. Is it free?
I really dig the vibe.
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

SwordPlay wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:53 pm This looks cool. Is it free?
I really dig the vibe.
As free as you want it to be. Didn't feel right to charge for this one.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Got this review today from someone who is a severe OHR hater. Apparently nobody should use the engine for anything except RPGs. Everybody take notes.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (167.91 KiB) Viewed 1406 times
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Haha! I feel like the OHR lives rent-free in that person's head at all times :devil:

I love how they think there are hundreds of OHR games on the Steam store
Gizmog
Metal King Slime

Post by Gizmog »

If that's the kind of response we get on Steam, then to Steam I go!
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

We can see firsthand how many great creations have come out of the OHR.
It's funny that someone should complain about creature comforts, when far more extraordinary gameplay scenarios have been created with the OHR. It is a legend, IMHO
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Yeah this review has given me immense joy today. It's so stupid and ignorant. It just makes me laugh. Some of the best content we've ever produced is either on itch or steam. Now if his opinion was from early 2000s ohr, then he might be credible to some degree. We've been putting out straight fire for years now. Arguably the golden age of the ohr.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Many a wise software or product developer has quipped some version of Customers Don’t Know What They Want. Design it yourself. People wrongly try to tell you how they want you to accomplish something rather what.

Nonetheless, I feel validated! Finally someone actually wants "HD graphics tweaking options" in their retro game! It seemed not so popular.