Red Triangle Games Projects (Development Thread)

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

RMZ
King Slime

Re: Red Triangle Games Projects (Development Thread)

Post by RMZ »

So far so good on my first week on Maze. I've managed to rebuild the shell of the level select screen that Worthy did in a way that feels good and makes sense. He had it on a map with the slice overlays and then the camera would zip around to whatever area you were on, and it was really clunky with loading the game. This new way the whole thing is in slices and loads much cleaner, not as flashy with the slides, but I am confident in this one working.

I also took a small amount of time to dress up level entries, giving them a bit of style. Worthy was a big Sonic 3 nut, so this is kinda my surprise for him.

Managed to get a hold of Soda Piggy who is on board for the two tracks I need to finish.

Fellahs in discord encouraged me to spruce up the early levels a little so I likely will once the other stuff is done. I do plan on revisiting all levels to try and use scripts moreso than text box triggers on the NPCs. There were so many scripts that ran after text boxes for whatever reason.
Attachments
TriMazeR0009.gif
TriMazeR0009.gif (245.44 KiB) Viewed 2374 times
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Finished what I set out to do for the game this week!

Got the level select system totally sorted out, got the virus intro for after beating the Creator. I also got the credits and ending totally sorted out. Next week I'm hoping to wrap up all the remaining art I never fixed up in 2017 and get all the art in a place I don't hate.
Attachments
trimaze_levelselect.gif
trimaze_levelselect.gif (103.09 KiB) Viewed 2350 times
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Implemented a fun pause screen. Rather than doing all the art at once, I'm chipping away at playing the game in full and making sure art and sounds and code all work together before moving on to each stage. Seems to be the easiest way for me right now.
Attachments
TriMazeR0010.gif
TriMazeR0010.gif (372.62 KiB) Viewed 2334 times
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

Pretty cool dim effect on the pause! assuming it's a transparent shadow slice layered under the menu

Should bump that framerate up to 60. and work on a game with spoon and me about wolf girls
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

charbile wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:12 pm Should bump that framerate up to 60. and work on a game with spoon and me about wolf girls
Not sure he could, since the game uses built in engine NPC movement.
But yes, I think my next big OHR games are going to aim to be 60 fps.
Should golden-chan be a wolfgirl?!
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

charbile wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:12 pm Pretty cool dim effect on the pause! assuming it's a transparent shadow slice layered under the menu

Should bump that framerate up to 60. and work on a game with spoon and me about wolf girls
Yeah I tried and it kinda killed everything. I do try to make all newer projects run at a higher FPS though. This one is kinda grandfathered in to a lot of stuff I'm gonna overlook.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Been trying to redo visuals as I find them accessible, and the way switches worked always bugged me. Thanks to Spoon for the idea, but I now have all the floor switches as tiles and this means the RCCBot won't ever appear on top of them again from NPC alignment issues. It also makes it a lot easier and cleaner to change the frames of the switches. I have about the first twenty stages set up in this way for red, green and blues. Should have the full 20 done by EOW.
Attachments
TriMazeR0023.gif
TriMazeR0023.gif (2.1 MiB) Viewed 2284 times
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Been slow going for me, but it's largely because there's less glamorous stuff to show. I'm gradually going through each level to use my new code to handle buttons and switches and stuff. I also wanted to do something, even something small to make the mazes stand out more so I added these giant support beams, conveying that you are inside of a giant tower of some kind.

I think I've tested levels 1-30 at this point and haven't had anything gamebreaking, so will likely begin testing the next batch of levels soon.

I did update the machine that the Creator uses in his boss fight visually. It'll be fun to add sounds and more animations to it when I get there. The giant bulbs on top are going to shatter and break when you step on the switches.

I did speak to Worthy on the phone and when this is all over he and I will be doing a retrospective video like I did with Soda Piggy for Axe Cop, so that'll also be really fun to do and look forward to.
Attachments
2022-01-24.png
2022-01-24.png (2.11 KiB) Viewed 2219 times
2022-01-24.gif
2022-01-24.gif (1.14 MiB) Viewed 2219 times
2022-01-17.png
2022-01-17.png (9.53 KiB) Viewed 2219 times
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Would you like some parallax scrolling for those support beams where they scroll a little bit faster than the rest of the tiles?

It should work well if they are always on a layer of their own.

I could dig up a script example from another game if you are interested
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Bob the Hamster wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:54 pm Would you like some parallax scrolling for those support beams where they scroll a little bit faster than the rest of the tiles?

It should work well if they are always on a layer of their own.

I could dig up a script example from another game if you are interested
Dudes in discord asked that and I decided it wasn't a good idea, as I'm putting the beams in places to not obscure items in the levels. If they're scrolling it could affect things negatively for the player.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Not sure why I took a week off from this, probably Civ6, but I'm trying to get back to chipping away at this. I'm on to World 5! This world is a lot more complicated to update as it used a different tileset than the others (for no real good reason I can determine) so going back in and changing scripts that had tile transformation things is a bit of a pain but I'm getting through it.

One thing Worthy definitely loved and hated were these mirror levels. Unfortunately these stages work totally differently than any other stage in the game cause they process a while loop. Took me a while last night to get a workaround going for it but I think I did to use the new entry and exit scripts.

In a couple weeks I meet Worthy for the first time in person. Pretty excited about that.
Attachments
TriMazeR0022.png
TriMazeR0022.png (9.25 KiB) Viewed 2148 times
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Been a while since I did an update.

Visit with Worthy was super fun. I was very surprised he wanted to work on Mr. Triangle's Maze over play games or watch a movie but the dude had a blast editing the game and such with me. We added an armor suit for Boss 2 that made the fight so much better. There was talks of adding this armor to one more boss fight, so we'll see. PJ did the remaining muisc, so after RGC I'll be going full steam ahead on finishing the game as it's just waiting on me now.

Been working on my RGC entry for a while now, it may/may not be too ambitious for me, but I'm having a lot of fun. I'm using the FRRNF sprite pack as a starting point for the game art and going off in a really wacky direction. I'd like to hope the work I'm putting in can add to the Super Collection but it might just be another solo posting like Knight Slights: OHR was. I'm excited to see what other people bring to the RGC.
Attachments
Paradox0014.png
Paradox0014.png (8.97 KiB) Viewed 1931 times
TriMazeR0026.gif
TriMazeR0026.gif (118.04 KiB) Viewed 1931 times
TriMazeR0025.gif
TriMazeR0025.gif (32.76 KiB) Viewed 1931 times
IMG_20220224_172129_266.jpg
IMG_20220224_172129_266.jpg (203.48 KiB) Viewed 1931 times
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Now that the RGC is behind me I'm working on finishing up Mr. Triangle's Maze a little more. I blame Fenrir for getting me amped for a different project and delaying this even further. With that said, he's going to make the final Steam achievement graphic and I'm pretty stoked about it. There won't be a ton of them as I'm using the art I originally had for trading cards, but then Steam decided to change their policies on those. I had them set up on the Steam page and everything, so those graphics will be used for the achievements now. Namely one for every boss you beat. The final one being Slither.

PJ was able to get me sorted with the last few songs on my list for release. Dude is a wonder of a person to work with if anybody ever needs music, you should hit him up. He did a stellar job on the Tim-Tim 2 soundtrack too.

Back when Worthy and I were working on this game in like 2009, we had miserable art, but when the player unlocked the virus levels the title screen changed. When I saw Worthy in February I asked him what he wanted it to be, and he said a cool picture of Slither. Soda Piggy's been busy with life and work, so I hired Gaplan to do the piece needed in as close to Soda's style as he could and the result looks pretty great.

I've been sorting out what's left, I have one more cutscene to visit and check off the list, then it'll be time to reskin the virus levels. When we finished Triangle's Maze initially we were having so much fun working together I asked Worthy if he wanted to make any super hard levels and make a boss battle for them and he was amped about it. Someday I'll beat those levels, I get close to beating the Slither boss fight sometimes, but those levels were mostly made for him and hardcore players. Hoping I can get through them enough to test my art and working end-of-level mechanics.

I have another project I'm tinkering with every once in a while and have been doing research about it. I'm thinking of working with the guys I make my rock band stuff to make the soundtrack. That's something I've always wanted to do but haven't found the right project to try it. If I can get the system working in a fun way, then I think I'll go for it. Still having fun and just noodling around. Been doing all of these pretty casually and decompressing from the intense rush leading up to the end of RGC. That contest wore me out more than it should have.
Attachments
TriMazeR0023.gif
TriMazeR0023.gif (732.83 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
TriMazeR0012.png
TriMazeR0012.png (5.26 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

There's a level in the last five that is a visual association thing that Worthy did. It took a while but I finally got all of them done. All that's left for me to do for Maze is to make sure any scripted segments of writing maptiles have the right values on the new tileset and it's off to Worthy for one final thing to do. He and I discussed it, and we're gonna shoot for an end of June/early July release date for this.
Attachments
statue_template.PNG
statue_template.PNG (12.8 KiB) Viewed 1656 times
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Major thanks to Fryewulff for I guess being the first one to get Steam's cloud saves implemented. Turns out it's incredibly easy.

If anybody has a game on Steam you should implement it as the Steam Deck is now a thing. I've had some people already start playing Axe Cop on it and I'm sure they will appreciate carrying over their adventure.

It's under APPLICATION, go to STEAM CLOUD. You just fill in the variables. Be sure and check the correct boxes as it defaulted to me with being only available for developers. It can back up a ton of stuff, I have the entire Super Collection on Cloud saves now too.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (465.77 KiB) Viewed 1584 times