Red Triangle Games Projects (Development Thread)

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

RMZ
King Slime

Re: Red Triangle Games Projects (Development Thread)

Post by RMZ »

Worthy and I sat down and did a retrospective review of Mr. Triangle's Maze, 15 years had a lot of stories and it was fun if anyone is interested.

RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Found this on YouTube and it kinda melted me a little seeing things I made with so many of you and this girl loving each one.

RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Told myself if I was going to make a new game, even a small one, I want to expand my knowledge of the engine and quit making the same games over and over. I had an idea back in April for a game with slice collision and this is definitely not that game, although now I think I know enough to make that game. I asked a lot of questions where the answers confused me (thanks for your patience TMC and James). Then I asked Charbile who spent an evening with me and taught me what I was trying to do and explained it as I asked lots of dumb questions. So this game isn't anything overly spectacular by any means as it's a glorified canvas for me to learn a new idea. It was fun trying out something new and think it fits in well with my Super Collection content as a short romp. Speaking of that, since I'm going to be adding Fox in the Woods to it and TMC sorted out achievement issues, I'm going to finally add achievements to the full collection. I'm hoping to have all of this done by Friday's deadline for the Heart Slam.

Tried to think about which games in the collection have the most replayability and added more achievements for those than the others. Like, the girl said in the video I posted, Missing You isn't a game you play more than once really, same with Fox in the Woods, so those each get one just for beating them.
Attachments
Fox0013.gif
Fox0013.gif (1021.59 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Before Soda Piggy moved to Japan, he and I were making a zany little game about an octopus and a swordfish. It was goofy, weird and random and I have a lot of great memories of it. I've made a plan for how to remaster it and this will be my next project, which will likely go in the Super Collection and I've gotten Soda's blessing to use his work. Of the coders I've worked with, think his code might be the easiest to go back and read behind.

I guess a little insight if anyone is interested. We made six worlds in 2010. The boss of world 6 used to be my ex-girlfriend, as weird as that is, then we broke up and she became the voodoo master. Anyways, he moved to Japan and got really busy with life and we never made that 7th world. For the sake of finishing something I cared about, much like the Maze release, I'm going to let world 6 be the final world and will be redoing all the cutscenes, maptiles and character art to fit the newer story. I don't see myself making another mega-sized game, so I think moving forward after this, the types of things I might create would be somewhere between Fox in the Woods and Cthulhu's Paradox in terms of length.

I'm also having way too much fun with the Sonic Mania palette. It has some outstanding colors in it.
Attachments
Takoyaki0001.gif
Takoyaki0001.gif (899.05 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
BennyJackdaw
Red Slime

Post by BennyJackdaw »

It took me almost 2 years, but I finally got around to playing Axe Cop. I ended up getting really unlucky against the bear boss. There is this move that, I think, he strikes a random number of times, and I ended up getting him to strike me 8 times! (Ouch!)

Also, I really don't get the first mission. Apparently, you're supposed to wipe out the dinosaurs, and yet Axe Cop's faithful mode of transportation throughout the game is a dinosaur himself. Say what?
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

BennyJackdaw wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:34 am It took me almost 2 years, but I finally got around to playing Axe Cop. I ended up getting really unlucky against the bear boss. There is this move that, I think, he strikes a random number of times, and I ended up getting him to strike me 8 times! (Ouch!)

Also, I really don't get the first mission. Apparently, you're supposed to wipe out the dinosaurs, and yet Axe Cop's faithful mode of transportation throughout the game is a dinosaur himself. Say what?
Pretty sure Axe Cop has a selective relationship with dinosaurs. Some he loves, some he hates. It's pretty all over the place in the comics, but mostly after that very first issue he is pro-dinosaur. He's summoned armies of them to kill bad guys and such.

You did get really unlucky to get hit that many times. I can lower his available MP so that it won't happen nearly as frequently. He basically does a series of regular attacks like how you do in the game to build up MP and then uses it successively with his rock throws. Dialing it back a little should make it easier for other people too. I'll make this edit for the next update I do.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Working on Takoyaki as I have time. Feel very confident in World 1 being hamburgers and fries. I'm still not totally set on what World 2 will be. It was a giant forest with a big charging mid-boss and then a boss where it's like the hide the object under the cup type thing. I'm kind of thinking southern style food and instead of the hat and gangster it's the main bad guy hiding under a pot and throwing shrimps at you for gumbo.
Attachments
Takoyaki0011.png
Takoyaki0011.png (14.56 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Think most of World 1 is finished art-wise. I'll probably be looking into how to add some quick visual cutscenes before the boss fights if I can next to give the worlds even more personality. Think a major thing I hear throughout life is people not liking pickles on burgers so the idea of flicking them back and forth sounds funny to me. I have an idea for World 2's reskin, I want to be 110% happy with World 1 before I start it though.

Spoon's comments about how big some of the games are in the collection is kind of getting me curious about really if this one will fit or not as it's going to be the most full-length of them all. I'd argue Scare Spree and Block Bonanza are the biggest ones but they're also like three worlds with less than 5 songs each. This game will be six worlds with about 14 songs. Maybe not as long as Block Bonanza though. Something I will continue to think about. I also think the free games can run their course quicker on Steam. With games being even 99 cents, if you participate in a sale it advertises you again at least. I'm debating on this game being another low cost game to hopefully garner more attention towards it. I'll have a definitive answer by next summer when I hope to have this one done.
Attachments
Takoyaki0018.gif
Takoyaki0018.gif (258.63 KiB) Viewed 1337 times
Takoyaki0024.gif
Takoyaki0024.gif (2.94 MiB) Viewed 1337 times
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Working on the opening cutscene this week, maybe next too, but I'm having fun and think I'm producing some of the best character pixel art I've done here. I think I connected the dots 10 years later that Soda always wanted Takoyaki to basically be a homage to Pocky and Rocky, he even wanted to make the sequel (even though the original wasn't done) in Game Maker as a Pocky and Rocky style game at one point. So with the game being started as a Japanese style game, even with it being made more international than one territory, I'm gonna make the scroll type effects from Pocky for my scenes. Few tricks I'm learning to make them more dynamic too. I'm having fun with it.
Attachments
takoyakicutscene.png
takoyakicutscene.png (34.08 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Had a bit of a rough week but I think I got all of slide 1 finished for the cutscene, also got a good system set up for this to be used throughout the game.

If anybody is interested, I'm using slice collections and parenting them into a container I put on the main scroll one. When I'm done building the various collections I'm planning on some basic float type animations for the various characters in it to create a little bit of movement, even if it's not animation. I think that was effective in Pocky and Rocky so I'm going to try it here.
Attachments
Takoyaki0034.gif
Takoyaki0034.gif (422.61 KiB) Viewed 1279 times
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

The scroll looks great!
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Thanks man!

Working on Slide 2 this week, which has been a lot of fun. Have moved faster on it than expected. It's based on a feast image from One Piece I saw. All of the food on the table will also foreshadow all of the level themes in the game. I just have characters to draw in the chairs and then I think this one is finished. Fenrir really wanted me to draw the giant sunfish for Slide 1 so I should probably put it in this slide too.

I do think I've kind of settled on what the level themes will be for reskinning the old levels.

World 1: Burgers and Dies (used to be beach)
World 2: Pasta La Vista (used to be forest)
World 3: Taco Bruiseday (used to be a desert)
World 4: Kung Pao Octopus (used to be snowy mountain)
World 5: Baking Bad (used to be a volcano)
World 6: Curry Up and Die (used to be a graveyard)

Based on how I do energy and motivation wise I might take a stab at programming my own final boss for the game and not just letting it be the end of World 6.

When the intro is finished I'm going to work on a menu system using the mouse and less default keys for level select, and then also the pause screen. I've got an idea for the level select screen that I'm excited to tinker with.
Attachments
zcjG5JNe5HCHH9dB.jpg
zcjG5JNe5HCHH9dB.jpg (217.24 KiB) Viewed 1249 times
slide2.png
slide2.png (16.62 KiB) Viewed 1249 times
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

I think I've got the base map done for the world map. The six various restaurant levels will be scattered around different parts of the continent and will be about the size of the stations in MMX2 as that was a big reference point for me for this. I have two more title cards to do for the intro and I think I was doing this one because I thought it would be in it but as of today I changed my mind to just let this piece be the level select menu and leave it at that. There's a shading trick I need to research to make slide five turn out the way I want, and honestly, learning about different art techniques and such have been so much fun. I've put a lot of pressure on myself over the years, mixed with depression to feel this overwhelming desire to create content and keep going and pushing myself. I'm really enjoying just doing this as I feel like it, having no expectations and just learning to go with the flow. I think if I continue to make games after this I'll try to adapt this type of workflow.

I've been bouncing between this and the Surfasaurus update. I had wanted that to be done in the summer but I missed that target, so I might shoot for spring for that. It's also weird that game will be turning ten soon-ish.

It's still really funny to me that the continent for Takoyaki is America. The food here can kill you, and it will try to in this game.
Attachments
worldmap_geographical.png
worldmap_geographical.png (25.43 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
TheLordThyGod
Slime Knight
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Known Universe

Post by TheLordThyGod »

This is looking very nice!
...spake The Lord Thy God.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Thanks. I'm a bit all over the place project-wise. Between Takoyaki, Surfasaurus clean-ups and now I'm working on tweaking Cthulhu's Paradox for the Super Collection. I found some music on itch to replace my copyrighted ones and I commissioned the artist who is now doing promo art to get something for the menus in the collection itself for me. I worked really hard on that game and it's bothered me all year I can't really do anything with it. I don't get a terrible amount of hits on the collection and it's mostly a place for me to nest my small scale ideas so I think it fits in good there to also add variety to it. Crazy there hasn't been an RPG in it with all the games made using RPG creation software.