Issues with attack chains and holding weapons.

Ask and answer questions about making games and related topics. Unrelated topics go in that other forum.

Moderators: marionline, SDHawk

Eonhetwo
Red Slime

Issues with attack chains and holding weapons.

Post by Eonhetwo »

Hi again, ok let me detail this pickle I'm in;

I have guns and melee weapons in my game, and want to have different animations in battle depending on which one I use. The reason for this is that my standard attack animations for my characters appear very incompatible with something like firing a gun.

I was hoping I could use gun attacks as a cast instead of a strike, thereby using the casting frame. Of course the glaring issue here is that the options to have an item appear in your characters hand just.. don't exist when you choose casting for some reason.
(If there is some way I can have an item appear with a cast, I'd really like to hear it plz)

I try to work around it like this;
I'll create an attack animation of a gun firing, then create a cast attack that targets self and then chains into another attack that targets an enemy with a cast attack whose animation is an impact of some kind.

But here's where it all went crazy;
When I use the weapon in battle, what is displayed is ONLY the second, chained attack, the impact. The self targeting attack with the gun animation does not play first! I have fiddled with bitsets and checked around for operator error for quite some time now, and cannot fathom why it skips the first attack and goes straight into the chained attack...

Can anybody offer some guidance on this issue?
Just a vessel for dank memes
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

Maybe you could draw your character into the three-frame attack animation.

That can become useful for attacks, where the character becomes the projectile. First a chain to jump, so that the character jumps off screen. Then comes the projectile, using the character as animation. Then the character lands on his usual spot. Although this is not quite, what could be used as a gunfire animation...

Still if you have an attack showing your character firing a gun in the three frames, this could be set as "target at self" and there you'd have your character animated in another way than attack and cast. The problem with this is, it only works if the background has the same color on all fights! Because transparency couldn't be used in this case. It would ovelap the other characters on the battle screen. However your current game did it right I think, because your party was standing all over the screen instead of standing in a row. But it's not very practical either.

If an attack animation is missing, check if attack animation is not set to "Null". That can be found on "Appearance & Sounds" of an attack. You could also check, if the correct attack is noted correctly in the item as "when used as a weapon".
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Is it possible that you accidentally used the "instead" chain?
Eonhetwo
Red Slime

Post by Eonhetwo »

Bob, yes I did use the instead chain! My regular chain slot has an attack in it that is triggered when a certain item is equipped. Should I use the "else" chain instead?

Bird, I checked all the things you said and they're all in order, I think Bob's got it nailed down. But that idea about drawing the character in the attack itself is brilliant! I'll definitely be using that!
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Yes, looks like "else" will be right for this situation.

That will happen any time the regular chain (special item equipped) doesn't happen.

"Instead" chains are for substituting a different attack "instead" of the current attack
Eonhetwo
Red Slime

Post by Eonhetwo »

I'm ashamed of myself for not realizing that.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

No shame! The naming is honestly rather confusing :D