Ravancloak
Prifurin - maybe something else
Morpheus­Kitami - maybe helper

Helper:
RMZ
Idontknow
polkakitty - maybe scripter

Mogri - just music
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

kylekrack wrote:If you want a standard DAW, Reaper is really good and you can "evaluate" it indefinitely
Prifurin wrote:Decent(maybe a bit too complex) and free: Cakewalk Bandlabs
Less decent and still free: LMMS
Chiptune: FamiTracker
Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at the Cakewalk website but couldn't figure out which of their many, many products was a sequencer. I tried FamiTracker, not for the first time, but I ran into the same difficulty as last time: the interface is entirely inscrutable. I ended up landing on LMMS, which is a bit less arcane than FamiTracker but still looks very flexible.

It does make me long for the simplicity of ye olde MIDI sequencers, where the instruments were laid out for you (but you couldn't guarantee it would sound anywhere near the same on someone else's computer).
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I want a music making tool that makes me feel the same way that Mario Paint did :D
Ichiro
Slime Knight

Post by Ichiro »

I can do scripting and writing.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

It would probably be helpful for everybody entering to at least be able to do a group message on Discord, since a lot of us already communicate there. My Discord ID is RMZ#4181.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

A few people have asked me some good questions about the contest so I'd like to publicly answer them so anyone else wondering has the answers as well.

First, the team leader is not the scripter, the artist, or the helper
The person that uploads the game, that decides what game is being made, and generally leads the team is completely up to the team. Having that sort of discussion is part of the reason for the contest, where the stakes for such a thing are a lot lower, (a game made in 2 weeks) then they would be on a full length project spanning years.

Team pairings will be announced on March 20th at the start of the contest. I will be picking them semi-randomly, having a person from each job in each team. You are NOT fully restricted to the job as far as what you can and can not contribute to the game. The jobs are meant as a guideline to make even teams and to ease people into the team forming process.

Second, there is no theme or game making restrictions of any kind beyond making something that everyone in the group can agree on. If you want to use another game engine, be my guest, but keep in mind that people signing up may assume the OHR is being used and not be comfortable using something else.

Lastly, as there seems to be 3 teams worth of people I will not be officially entering as I planned to fill any needed spots.
If however anyone drops out, i will take there place as best as I can for the remaining time of the contest.
Xer0.the.Dark
Slime

Post by Xer0.the.Dark »

Id be willing to try if anyone needs an extra person. My strengths lie in character/npc ideas and concepts. (Im not a great artist yet...but its all perfect in my head xD). I could most definitely help with planning. Maybe as a character /NPC designer if someone else can do the actual art part of it? I dabble in scripting, but nothing heavy...I can do basic things. Im pretty good at thinking outside the box, though. :P I could also help with writing/story, possibly? Ive got lots of abandoned and unused ideas floating around.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Entries So Far:

Scripters:
Kylekrack
Swordplay - maybe something else
Ichiro - maybe writing as a helper

Artist:
Ravancloak
Prifurin - maybe something else
Morpheus­Kitami - maybe helper

Helper:
RMZ
Idontknow
polkakitty - maybe scripter
Xer0.the.­Dark
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Last call for entry int this contest!
I will be putting the teams together on Friday, so even though the contest doesn't really start till Saturday, I'd really like it if anyone that's going to join do it before Friday.
As there is 1 extra person. 1 of the 3 teams will be assigned 2 helpers instead of 1. If anyone else joins I will step in and there will be a fourth team.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I really wish I could take part, since I really enjoyed the Random Collab jams in the past, but I don't have time. I can't justify doing another game jam this month.

Grouping people up based on their skillsets is a good idea; random pairing led to problems in the past. However I think the "scripter" role might mislead people into thinking that they should have someone mainly writing scripts. I think the purpose is that at least one person on the team is capable of handling the scripting. The game might actually have little scripting.

Increasing the team size to three is a big risk, I hope it works out! It's hard enough for two people to come to agreement. (Infamously, "Adding more people to a late project makes it later" because it increases communication burden.) Also, some important advice: don't try to design a game via email or PM. You'll lose 1-3 weeks just to hammer out an idea if at all. Use a chatroom/live chat with everyone present.
Last edited by TMC on Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Note to whoever gets me as a scripter: Just tell me what to do, I have no game ideas and I'm too creatively drained with other projects to want to take control. Let me help you make your dreams come true.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Prifurin
Red Slime

Post by Prifurin »

Alright, one day before teams announced, for convenience of game-making for whoever joins me on this fun endeavour, I've set up a small server on Discord to keep things organised, so once team members are paired I'd like to message the invite links to PMs or Discord directly if you wish.

I hope we all will have a great time working together, hype hype hype!

Also, can we please get a sticky for the duration of Collab event if this is fine?
eight days a week
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Bob the Hamster wrote:I want a music making tool that makes me feel the same way that Mario Paint did :D
This is off-topic by this point, but this tool was just brought to my attention. It has the Mario Paint instrument set, but it also has Chrono Trigger, LTTP, Yoshi's Island, and others, and it has a quick-and-easy Export to MP3 button. The interface isn't as intuitive as I'd like, but it has a very low barrier to entry relative to other sequencers I've used, and it lets you do sharps and flats unlike Mario Paint.

There's also literal Mario Paint Composer tools out there, but they don't export to a usable format as far as I know.
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

Heck with it, I'll enter as an artist.