Hi

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Aeth
Slime Knight

Hi

Post by Aeth »

Hey y'all. Long time no see. I had some downtime at work today and have been recently thinking about my old OHR days. I'm not doing any RPG making these days but it looks like the OHR has a ton of nifty new features that I might check out (last time I used it was probably somewhere around 2009?). It's great to see a lot of familiar names still hanging around too! I would like to try and pop in here every so often, so looking forward to catching up with everyone.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Welcome back, Aeth! Nice to see you around again!

Give in to the temptation! Make a game! :D
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

Dear Aeth,
you game "Jailbreak" was one of the examples of using the OHR engine for something different than intended. And still it's interesting as a 2D action game. The choice of music did a lot for the tense atmosphere. The difficulty was great, too. Most of all I admire it, when people use the given set of rules, defined by the old engine, and create something completly different with it, that even plays fine! And you definetly did that.
Would it be easier now to make such a game now, 12 years later with the OHR? There are slices now. Still, you didn't need them. Was it difficult to make the mechanics of Jailbreak work?
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Oh wow! Welcome back. Feels like there's been a resurgence of old names here recently...
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Aeth was gone for a decade? This is concerning news. I must be losing either my memory or sense of time! Thanks for coming back and dispelling this aberration.
Last edited by TMC on Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rue
Slime Knight

Post by Rue »

Oh, slime, hey Aeth. been a hot minute. Join the club of people who've been missing for a decade and only recently decided to show back up.

Scyree just recently popped back in too. He's on discord, on and off.
Aethereal
Slime

Post by Aethereal »

Bird wrote:Dear Aeth,
you game "Jailbreak" was one of the examples of using the OHR engine for something different than intended. And still it's interesting as a 2D action game. The choice of music did a lot for the tense atmosphere. The difficulty was great, too. Most of all I admire it, when people use the given set of rules, defined by the old engine, and create something completly different with it, that even plays fine! And you definetly did that.
Would it be easier now to make such a game now, 12 years later with the OHR? There are slices now. Still, you didn't need them. Was it difficult to make the mechanics of Jailbreak work?
Thanks for the compliment! I can't take all the credit for the game though, Wiz did a lot of it - I think he came up with the concept and he definitely did the graphics and music. I just scripted it basically. I don't know enough about slices yet to know if it would have made it easier, as getting the graphics and images to work was the easy part from what I remember. What would make it better is if it wasn't done in only one week (it was for a contest) and if someone better than scripting than me wrote it (I was a B+ plotscripter at best). I believe I released the script publically in Surlaw's e-zine, and the copy of the game on my HD isn't password protected so the uploaded one probably isn't either, if you want to check it out.
Welcome back, Aeth! Nice to see you around again!

Give in to the temptation! Make a game! :D
Thanks! Maybe I'll do something small scale with some fun battles. Trying to mess with the elementals and spawning and invisible enemies doing weird things in the background (fake battlescripting, I guess) was always fun.
Scyree just recently popped back in too. He's on discord, on and off.
Thanks, I'll check out the discord although I am admittedly a discord newbie. Does that mean the old IRC channels are dead?
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Aethereal wrote:Thanks! Maybe I'll do something small scale with some fun battles. Trying to mess with the elementals and spawning and invisible enemies doing weird things in the background (fake battlescripting, I guess) was always fun.
Finally, someone willing to state that battlescripting would be no fun! :devil:
You can do a lot more with transmogrification (enemy transformation), attack chains and tag checking/setting, and hero counter attacks than you could in 2008... but all too often possible isn't the same thing as reasonable.
Aethereal wrote:Does that mean the old IRC channels are dead?
Pretty much, but they still exist, and people still idle there. I hardly ever remember to go there anymore, but if you try you can still strike up a conversation there. (YMMY but all my conversations in IRC are about the death of IRC)
Last edited by TMC on Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

TMC wrote:
Aethereal wrote:Thanks! Maybe I'll do something small scale with some fun battles. Trying to mess with the elementals and spawning and invisible enemies doing weird things in the background (fake battlescripting, I guess) was always fun.
But that's not what he
Aethereal
Slime

Post by Aethereal »

Mogri wrote:
TMC wrote:
But that's not what he
Oh, don't get me wrong, battlescripting would be very cool. I used it extensively in other engines that support it a few years ago, but it was fun trying to fake it in the OHR just like developers had fun trying to fake plotscripting before 1999
ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

Woot, welcome back Aeth!
Do you make love with the same urgency you make games?
Matokage
Slime Knight

Post by Matokage »

Wow! Nice to see some known faces around! Welcome back, Aeth. Mind if I say hi here too? Don't want to start a new thread since you all are gathering around here.

I logged in just now to take a look on the forums after testing the newest release. Last night, the OHR bug stung me and I took a look at my old projects before developing "real life" full time. After updating some graphics and messing with some things I tought on updating to the newest release of OHR to see if there was a "wait for music" command on the plotscript dictionary (and it doesn't) but, tried it anyways.
BOI! I was blown away! The newest version changed EVERYTHING and some of my old projects would need a complete rework now that some features exists!

I got some lower workload this month onwards, so I will TRY to complete something from my collection of unfinished projects, specially Slimes World.
Last edited by Matokage on Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"I can't buy food with glory"
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Welcome back! Always a nice surprise to see returnees.
...to see if there was a "wait for music" command on the plotscript dictionary (and it doesn't) but, tried it anyways.
Well, the reason it doesn't exist is because songs loop, so they never stop. But we are planning to let you play them without looping, and will then add "wait for music". (Plus also a command to get the current track time, and many other lacking audio features.)
some of my old projects would need a complete rework now that some features exists!
Take the path of least resistance! Which probably means don't rework anything for the sake of it.
Last edited by TMC on Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matokage
Slime Knight

Post by Matokage »

TMC wrote: Take the path of least resistance!
[spoiler]I probably should start a new thread at this point, shouldn't I?[/spoiler]
With the features of the past release I already could do what I thought was the easiest way. I was using tall sprites to make bigger vehicles for my GTAlike game. But then, resizing to "da slime ya want" came! And I just discovered it yesterday! I was waiting for it for so long! With that I can ditch the scripting and do it directly with out using slices. [spoiler]Don't get me wrong, Slices are AWESOME, but I can't see my self coding it all.[/spoiler][spoiler]Not even half of my projects...[/spoiler][spoiler]Sighs...[/spoiler]
Last edited by Matokage on Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I can't buy food with glory"
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

All those people scripting features that ought to be built-in. It's a very inefficient use of everybody's time!