How to help prioritize OHR bugfixes and features

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Rue
Slime Knight

How to help prioritize OHR bugfixes and features

Post by Rue »

Howdy!

A while ago I made a thing for TMC that compiles a list of github bugs and features. It can compile by just upvotes (thumbsup), just downvotes (thumbsdown), or "score" (upvotes minus downvotes), which I think is the one he uses.

This means that users (like yourself!) can help TMC and James (and other OHRRPGCE developers, possibly yourself!) prioritize bug fixes and issues by upvoting (thumbsup) emoting submitted items that you think are important, or even downvoting (thumbsdown) the ones you think are less important.

How do you do this?
1. You need a github account first,
2. Navigate to the OHRRPGCE github issues https://github.com/ohrrpgce/ohrrpgce/issues
3. Find an issue you want to upvote or downvote. Click on its name.
4. In the description area of the issue (top part, should say something like "[name] commented x days ago]") there should be a smiley face on the right hand side that allows you to "react" to the issue. Click on it and select either thumbsup (+1), or thumbsdown (-1).

I've attached an animated GIF to help explain, in-case you're more of a visual learner.
Attachments
How to vote for OHRRPGCE github issues
How to vote for OHRRPGCE github issues
github_react_vote.gif (3.6 MiB) Viewed 3154 times
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Oh thank goodness. I've been putting off posting this thread for months!

All feature requests and bugs, sorted by upvotes
(Because Github's interface isn't very good)

Rue wrote the script to generate those tables. They aren't updated automatically, but I'll try to set that up tomorrow (and maybefind a better place for them).

I went through the list of feature requests and changed many titles to be clearer, and upvoted many so that the more interesting ones are easier to find.
Of course, zillions of important features are missing from the issue tracker, so fee; free to file more.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I guess if we're just making feature requests and voting for them.

Frame-rate adjustment shouldn't increase game speed
https://github.com/ohrrpgce/ohrrpgce/issues/1151

Steam Achievement Interaction
https://github.com/ohrrpgce/ohrrpgce/issues/1152

Is there a battle scripting issue I can up vote?
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Spoonweaver wrote:Frame-rate adjustment shouldn't increase game speed
https://github.com/ohrrpgce/ohrrpgce/issues/1151
Wait, isn't changing game speed the entire point of adjusting the frame rate? I'm confused :???:
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Rue
Slime Knight

Post by Rue »

I didn't know if TMC was going to share the actual table, but since he is, it's worth mentioning that "Features" are listed on the top table, and if you scroll down past it, you can find a "Bugs" table as well (there's a difference between features and bugs!)
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

I went through and added a bunch of thumbs up and occasional comments. I don't feel like it's a good idea for me to put thumbs down on things I think are a lower priority; just because I don't think a particular feature or bug fix is relevant to me doesn't mean I'd have a reason to actually downvote it.

Found some stuff reported as far back as 2006 I did think was worthy of upvoting, though.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Nice list!

How does it work, Rue? Is it generated by a scheduled script? or an on-demand script?

How does it collect the info about the issues? Does it scrape the html from github? or does github provide some kind of REST API for fetching that kind of stuff?

EDIT: have you see w3 css tables? It is a super easy minimal way of making html tables look quite pretty https://www.w3schools.com/w3css/w3css_tables.asp
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rue
Slime Knight

Post by Rue »

Bob the Hamster wrote: How does it work, Rue? Is it generated by a scheduled script? or an on-demand script?
Github has a REST API. It's nothing really special. Just python with the requests module, then I plop the data into a CSV using write. I did the same with HTML because you guys probably didn't want to dig through spreadsheets forever. If you look at the way I did the HTML, all of the rows, columns, and cells have IDs/names/what-have-you as well, so you can automate stuff off of the page itself as well.

It is intended to be called via command line. So, you can throw it on cron to get it scheduled on hamsterrepublic if you wanted to (if you guys like it).

You guys are free to muck around with it all you want. I made it for you, after all.

The code is available at https://github.com/rue9x/OHR-Git-Issues/
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

OK, I filed Battle scripting as a request so you can vote it up.

I've improved the appearance of the page, including using W3 CSS. I already linked to my fork of Rue's script.
I've set up the votes table to update every hour (while my computer is turned on).
Nathan Karr wrote:Wait, isn't changing game speed the entire point of adjusting the frame rate? I'm confused :???:
Spoonweaver meant the ability to increase the framerate without causing all your scripts, tile animations, moving heroes/npcs, etc, to run/move too fast.

You can downvote features if you wish we wouldn't waste time on them, or if you think they would make the engine worse (by making it more complex without enough benefit).

I already implemented one request yesterday only because I came across it on github and it was easy, so it works :)
Last edited by TMC on Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

TMC wrote:Spoonweaver meant the ability to increase the framerate without causing all your scripts, tile animations, moving heroes/npcs, etc, to run/move too fast.
If that's the case, then we probably need two types of frame rate adjustments because the current behavior makes time-lapse adjustment scripting, like the kind you find in strategy and simulation games, possible (or would, if we could adjust frame rate through plotscripting).
Place Obligatory Signature Here