Community Support, outside the community! // itch.io+ thread

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

I doubt it, from what I hear GOG is extremely picky about the audio/visual appearance of indie games they accept. It's unlikely they'd accept any current OHR game, possibly KBB but I think that's pretty much it.
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight

Post by MorpheusKitami »

GOG is slightly schizophrenic when it comes to what they put on their website. There's a game that was big on another forum, way better than anything anyone here has done, didn't get on for a few years. Suddenly, there it was. No real changes. So it does seem to depend on who's checking the submissions that day.
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

glorioustrainwrecks.com might be interesting then. The games there are the opposite of perfectionism.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

I've started VERY slowly adding my games onto itch.io. They'll appear under the ohrrpgce tag of course.

I've also made the decision to ONLY upload those games that have a "Powered by OHRRPGCE" thing at the start of them - which means Spooks and Summons, Vikings, and possibly one other game will see the light of day there. Won't be charging for them, but donations are nice.

I'm not sure if Puppy Adventure's a good fit there, given that there's no scripting in it (or SFX).
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

But what about the artesianal sound effects?
Working as intended!
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

Nathan Karr wrote:I should probably get an itch.io profile too and start uploading my games there. Especially the weirder ones that I'm more passionate about! :devil:
I already found a vore game, so I think you should be fine https://polycement.itch.io/swallow-squad

Also I made another itch post https://momwolf.itch.io/necromancer-ate-my-cat
Last edited by Idontknow on Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Working as intended!
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Well, I uploaded my more recent vore game. I plan to also upload TutOHRial once I've gone through and polished it up a little more thanks to recent criticism and feedback. I'm not so sure about any of my older works. OHRodents would be pretty on-brand.

My "game studio" name is Cheeseforge.

https://cheeseforge.itch.io/

Basically, my reasons for not uploading various other games so far:
  • 90% of them - incomplete and canceled
    Wolf's Quest - Old and terrible
    Moron Mission - Bad and not in a good way; poor gameplay heavier than writing is good
    Weegee RPG - Frustrating to play and copyright-unfriendly
    No Eat - Very questionable/inconsistent quality, pretty sure at least one sprite in it is ripped
    Snake Hallway - Kinda on the fence about this one
    KARRIBLE - Probably violates the vaguely defined terms of service, not that I'm ashamed of its contents anymore
    Trytuges - Could be onto something here...needs the final dungeon fleshed out and a couple anti-frustration numbers tweaks.
    A Quest - Copyrighted music, intentional "newbie quality" graphics might not be appreciated by wider non-OHR audience
    OHRodents - Numerous copyrighted characters (Pikachu and about two dozen rodents belonging to individual OHR users, only three or so of whom are actually reasonably feasible to contact right now)
    TutOHRial - Needs a little bit more polish and I want stable Hrodvitnir to base it in, rather than some random nightly (I'd still want to include the minimalist editor in its folder - it's about getting a broader OHR audience interested in making games so fewer steps for them would be better)
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Nathan Karr wrote:Well, I uploaded my more recent vore game. I plan to also upload TutOHRial once I've gone through and polished it up a little more thanks to recent criticism and feedback. I'm not so sure about any of my older works. OHRodents would be pretty on-brand.

My "game studio" name is Cheeseforge.

https://cheeseforge.itch.io/

Basically, my reasons for not uploading various other games so far:
  • 90% of them - incomplete and canceled
    Wolf's Quest - Old and terrible
    Moron Mission - Bad and not in a good way; poor gameplay heavier than writing is good
    Weegee RPG - Frustrating to play and copyright-unfriendly
    No Eat - Very questionable/inconsistent quality, pretty sure at least one sprite in it is ripped
    Snake Hallway - Kinda on the fence about this one
    KARRIBLE - Probably violates the vaguely defined terms of service, not that I'm ashamed of its contents anymore
    Trytuges - Could be onto something here...needs the final dungeon fleshed out and a couple anti-frustration numbers tweaks.
    A Quest - Copyrighted music, intentional "newbie quality" graphics might not be appreciated by wider non-OHR audience
    OHRodents - Numerous copyrighted characters (Pikachu and about two dozen rodents belonging to individual OHR users, only three or so of whom are actually reasonably feasible to contact right now)
    TutOHRial - Needs a little bit more polish and I want stable Hrodvitnir to base it in, rather than some random nightly (I'd still want to include the minimalist editor in its folder - it's about getting a broader OHR audience interested in making games so fewer steps for them would be better)
Where is Karrible 2, or an all story path finished version of Karrible 1 dude?
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Followed and 5 star rated Nathan!
Let us know if there is anything else we can help promote!
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

RedMaverickZero wrote:Where is Karrible 2, or an all story path finished version of Karrible 1 dude?
Karrible 1 had part of its identity tied up in using music from Homestar Runner games so I wouldn't put it in Itch.io even if I did go back and finish it. I decided like seven years and some change ago I probably wasn't ever going to go back and finish it anyway.

Karrible 2, however, I have plotted out (roughly) both mechanically and in terms of its story. It will enter production once TutOHRial is finalized.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Gog was mentioned as a possible place people can upload their games, but was said to be hard to get into.
This seems to be true, but it would be cool if someone was able to get an ohr game on there.
I submitted a game to Gog to test it out and the reply I got was that they don't take free games so that's something to keep in mind.

Gamejolt seems easy to publish on and currently the only OHR games I can find on there are ones by "TheMannn" like really hard game. Let me know if you have games on there so I can link them on this thread.

Humble Bundle has a section for indie game pages.
Here's the page I made for Tim-Tim "The Mighty Gnome" on it
https://www.humblebundle.com/g/tim-tim_the_mighty_gnome
These don't show up on the humble bundle search, but I'm still looking into things here.

Kongregate has a new Kartridge platform that I'm currently looking into.
I'm also looking into Gamers Gate and Game House.
If you know anything about these please share your knowledge!
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Spoonweaver wrote:I submitted a game to Gog to test it out and the reply I got was that they don't take free games so that's something to keep in mind.
Well then, maybe I ought to try to make a GOG exclusive serious retro RPG worthy of a non-zero price tag. And if they reject it I'll just put it on itch.io anyway.

I've had an account on their site for many years running but don't go there very often. I think my account has the old Fallout games and an indie title called Treasure Adventure Game, purely because those were being given away for free around the time I joined.
Spoonweaver wrote:Kongregate has a new Kartridge platform that I'm currently looking into.
Oh, and Kongregate is a place I already have an account and regularly use in order to play browser games. It could be fun to have a game posted there too, so I'm definitely curious about this.
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

I've been trying to enable monetization for a couple months, but whenever I do the page glitches out like so.

The "help" button links to a similarly garbled text page, nothing else clicks at all. I've shown a link to the screenshot with context and description of the problem on both their site's Github page and on their in-site feedback link and gotten nothing.
Attachments
itchioscreenshot000.PNG
itchioscreenshot000.PNG (43.07 KiB) Viewed 4044 times
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

it looks like a normal window but formatted badly
try another browser
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Rate my itch page! I've never really done anything like this, so I'm not sure how to make it look good.

https://kiefjerky.itch.io/katjas-abyss-tactics
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife