SwordPlay shitpost thread

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

The Wobbler wrote:I don't think the combat loop needs to be super complex to be fun, as long as there's continual growth.
If the game is combat based, there has to be strong justification for it.
Why does Raccoon fight the mob? If anything I would assume the Raccoon is a strong criminal element, maybe with a rival gang.

BUT Raccoons are not fighters, they are crafty planners, and that's where there symbolic power lies. They have dexterous hands comparable to a human and can manipulate objects deftly. I think the Raccoon can handle a gun is what I'm saying. Maybe.
When I think Raccoon, I think "thief" or "rogue" not "warrior" and that alone makes a solid foundation for varied gameplay compared to typical brawlers

I'm not quite sold on why the Raccoon is beating crap out of folks? Yes Raccoon is anti-authoritarian, but it needs a helluva lot more justification than that, imo

A lot of the excitement comes from being a lonely wandering gritty survivalist, like a raccoon.
being anti-mob makes it implicitly pro-establishment, undermining the character, motivation, drive, etc.,
especially themes of independence and not needing approval or help
as soon as the raccoon works for some citizens, the player becomes obligated to help out and save the town or whatever? sure, but you lose all the unique flavours of being a solitary hermit like creature that rebels against society by eating its trash

Its lonely on the streets and there are no friends, just stinky garbage and countless feral or wild animals
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I imagine it's a fight for survival beating up robots who are trying to stop him from picking through the dump and the mob stuff is a classic "Someone in the wrong place at the wrong time heard too much" hook.

Assuming the raccoon is no good because he's poor and hungry would be a pretty common townfolk attitude that he disproves. There's no good reason for security bots to stop someone from eating trash that's just going to the dump, but that's how life is. I don't think working against a bad system and prejudices is pro-establishment in any way.

I don't won't to step on any toes with the game design side of things. I think if it becomes a shooter or a stealth game that's a very different path to work with.
Last edited by The Wobbler on Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

and why are mobsters securing the dump? is that where they dispose of illicit materials or corpses? why use robots to do this?

as for shooter/stealth gameplay, if it's not even on the table for consideration as side-loops, this probably wasn't the project I wanted to work on.
I don't want to make RCR with Raccoon and Robot.

For example, if someone suggested to make a game, based purely on a singular idea with nothing unique, and used story as a vehicle for mechanics, or vice-versa, it would likely be a waste of a game.
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:48 am, edited 6 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Ok thank you.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Raccoon is such a brilliant idea it seems like a waste to be constrained to crappy brawler mechanics and typical linear-progression, simply because that's all that we can manage or think of.

Well, you can try to structure the gameplay according to the story, or vice versa, if you want to. But who will script it?

Everyone always plays a big damn hero to save the day.
Let players jump in garbage, that's actually sliming genius. I'd rather drop the brawler aspect completely and go all in on this as a concept.
Maybe cut the save-the-day crap and more personal stakes tho
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Imagine saying "well, the story could be improved, but then the gameplay would have to change" or vice versa
CRINGE
Just change the story or gameplay until they work together. Why let one be the limitation of the other?
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:45 am, edited 5 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I don't really have the patience for this. If someone designs a game and wants me to write a script I'm happy to help. It's up to the game's designer to make the mechanics fun and interesting.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

OK lay on the writing if you feel it?

How about if the raccoon could manipulate gadgets or unscrew the robots or something like that?

I can imagine the raccoon as a sleuth, maybe like a hard-boiled detective or super-spy who uncovers the mob doings like that?

Honestly, at this point I feel more invested in the Raccoon/garbage aspect than the brawler aspect, and I wonder why we don't just start a thread where you throw out random game ideas and let us at them, with provisional supplementary writing if needed

I have to admit I find the part about "robots" and the "mob" incredibly tacked on. If there's something more to it, that'd be nice to know. Is it an essential plot point? Is this the main thrust of the game? "Must befriend citizens" is also gallingly saccharine, for me.

Brawlers are usually gritty, right??
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

swordplay.... why?
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

SwordPlay wrote: Brawlers are usually gritty, right??
No.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

The Wobbler wrote:
No.
Fighting crime. Is GRITTY.
Violence. Is GRITTY.

Do you seriously think otherwise?

I either doubt my own sanity, or yours, at this point.

EDIT: I grew up playing brawlers, and they were ALL uniformly dark and gritty. At least justify yourself instead of saying "no" in the face of experience and common sense?
Even a cursory glance at wikipedia tells me similarly.
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

SwordPlay wrote:
The Wobbler wrote:
No.
Violence. Is GRITTY.

Do you seriously think otherwise?

I either doubt my own sanity, or yours, at this point.
Ok I quit, have fun everyone.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

I would say I'm disappointed or surprised, but I already was and I'm not, respectively.

Please tell me so I can sleep easily at night.

Is it because I questioned or critiqued you?
If there is no communication, evolution of the game ideas, it will be a very boring game.

Is it because I had an opposing view you couldn't deal with and couldn't be bothered to broach?
Confrontation and contradiction are tools to manipulate the player, and as a writer you are expected to master them, or at least have some grasp on them.
Can you really be relied on to write CONFLICT for a BRAWLER when you can't handle the whiff of it?

Or is it because you are a mild and sensitive person who did not expect someone with an abrasive personality to care so much?
You are sweet, so I feel guilty, but not that much, because I feel you could have handled it better.
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

SwordPlay wrote:I would say I'm disappointed or surprised, but I already was and I'm not, respectively.

Please tell me so I can sleep easily at night. Is it because I questioned or critiqued you?
Is it because I had an opposing view you couldn't deal with and couldn't be bothered to broach?
Or is it because you are a mild and sensitive person who did not expect someone with an abrasive personality to care so much?
I tried being nice but I'm not interested in working with someone who calls me mentally ill. This is not critique or constructive questioning. It doesn't have to be discussed further, I'm off the project.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

The Wobbler wrote:
SwordPlay wrote:I would say I'm disappointed or surprised, but I already was and I'm not, respectively.

Please tell me so I can sleep easily at night. Is it because I questioned or critiqued you?
I tried being nice but I'm not interested in working with someone who calls me mentally ill. This is not critique or constructive questioning. It doesn't have to be discussed further, I'm off the project.
Yet you are gaslighting me and calling into doubt my personal memory and experience by telling me something I consider contrary to reality?
So either I am thinking about this wrong, or you are? But you didn't bother to explain it either, so I assume you had no constructive words to say, it was just a dig at me, right?

Violence. Is GRITTY.
No.
So what can I assume from this?

DOES THIS SOUND REASONABLE, THEN STORM OFF AND BLAME ME?

EDIT:
I realise that's super convenient and also dramatic way to opt out of a project, but damn...

EDIT: I grew up playing brawlers, and they were ALL uniformly dark and gritty. At least justify yourself instead of saying "no" in the face of experience and common sense?
Even a cursory glance at wikipedia tells me similarly.
They stereotypically feature fighting crime and always have violence. It is typically portrayed in a dark manner. Most people would consider it gritty.

Unless you have some super secret definition that makes you exempt or immune or whatever, which, by the way, I'd love to hear.

EDIT:
Also where I'm from, doubting sanity is not considered a sign of ill mental health.
Questioning the foundation of our reality by doubting it allows us to overcome it with e.g, faith and understanding
In many traditions, one cannot have true faith unless one has doubted deeply
You just jumped to a conclusion, apparently from all the way up your own slime.
source:
https://www.ibiblio.org/zen/gateless-gate/19.html
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:59 am, edited 9 times in total.