Teaming up

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Teaming up

Post by ArtimusBena »

While chatting with some of my fellow "old timers" the other day, we ended up weighing the pros and cons of the community back in the day and compared them to now. The consensus, I think, was that *many* things have improved. Except for one thing: people don't team up anymore. Spoon has a post out now that attempts to address this, but if you're not keen on trying to make a community project work I'd like to just put a word of encouragement out there, in the hopes that we can add something positive back into the OHR culture: collaboration.

Spoon has a great point, that we all have our weaknesses. There's a reason bands exist, there's a reason companies aren't just one person, and there's a reason game developers have teams. And I just get this feeling that there are really great treasures we might not ever see if we don't make some kind of shift back to working together.

So, maybe if a community game doesn't do the trick, a contest that requires 2+ collaborators would be a good start?

If not, hey! There's a hired help thread. Try it out. There's nothing to lose: https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5098
Last edited by ArtimusBena on Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

I would love to see community events, weekly or monthly.
and not just for games, but for all the stuff that goes into games,
and some stuff that doesn't.

For example;
collabs, contests, jams
sharing work, critique, open mic night/improv
discussion, debate, essays, etc., (on the forums!)
forum games, battles, RPs, whatever

We can be so much more as a community. Maybe!?!?!?

I think there's more to it than making games, honestly.
But it can't hurt to start with making games, which is ostensibly why most of us are here.
Maybe I should make a new thread?
Last edited by SwordPlay on Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
ArtimusBena
Slime Knight

Post by ArtimusBena »

Honestly, this is why I was sad to see the real Discord roles go away. Remember when you could declare, "Hey, I'm a programmer," "Hey I'm a musician," "Hey, I'm a playtester"?

I'd like to suggest we bring those back, as a part of this push for more collaboration.

And a really great thing to happen to us just recently: People are hanging out and streaming video in the Discord, playing whatever OHR game they feel like playing.
Last edited by ArtimusBena on Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.