Heart of the OHR Contest 2020

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

So far I have HeartBugs requests from Feenick and Guo/necrodites. So Nathan, Wobbler, Bird, thecrimsondm, Sword, don't forget that you can request something.
(Hope to hear that Kefyrra and kylekrack are able to work on something this year too.)
Starting today, I have more free time and want to make progress on my TODO list.

Nathan: Nice. Well, those tiles are pretty dark compared to the walkabouts, which are really bright yellow. It's perhaps not terribly dark, but dark enough that the water looks like just plain blue to me.

Sword: OK, what you need is a lawyer.
In the rules it was wrote:Like last season, I’m accepting almost any RPG type you can think of this year. This includes rogue-likes, walking simulators (with stat progression and level-ups), Zelda II clones, 3D mazes, etc. If the OHR can make it, and it still has classic level and stat progression, and there’s still a story attached, it should qualify.
Scratch that, you just need to hold this man to his word.
Last edited by TMC on Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I think I requested it elsewhere but longer item descriptions are the main thing I'd find useful right now. Ideally they'd be able to format like text boxes, with portrait pictures to show what the item looks like, but even just having an extra line of text would be great. Thanks!
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

If I manage to qualify for a request (never made it in the past, but I'll be damned if I don't this year) it'll probably be something audio related. That, or I'll just pick something that looks important off the list of reports.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Last time I requested the ability to assign default equipment to the armor slots and I had some other backup idea I'd always thought would be really helpful for something...actually, now that we can customize battle menus and we can also make equipment that fits more than one slot, how about this?

The battle menu option (Weapon attack (weapon equipped to Armor slot 1) (weapon equipped to armor slot 2) etc). Basically the "weapon attack" battle menu option checks your weapon slot but if you can have axes do choppy choppy as their main attack and daggers do stabby stabby, both having their benefits and drawbacks against certain foes, but daggers can be held off-hand in the Shield armor slot there can be a "Weapon Attack: Weapon" and "Weapon Attack: Shield" option both on the menu - and thus someone equipped with an actual shield would have a shield bash or Defend command there.

This could be used for lots of character customization, particularly when combined with Old Levelup Bug. Do I take the Wand of Magic Missile and INT+3 per level or the Wand of Death and INT+1 per level? The Helm of Healing for DEF+1 but letting the fighter cast Heal or the Helm of Heroism for DEF+1 and WIL+1?

Might need to bring back the old ability to assign "Attack when used as a weapon" option for things that can't be equipped to the Weapon slot specifically (that's kinda needed when assigning those things as a base weapon anyway, though I understand it going away because it was easy to accidentally enter data into that field when you didn't want to)
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I've always felt there should be a trophy for these things.
I'd be willing to pay for a custom one to be shipped to the winner
https://www.crownawards.com/Video_Games ... XWHG%22%7D
Attachments
ImageCompositionServlet.jpg
ImageCompositionServlet.jpg (40.3 KiB) Viewed 3579 times
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

The Wobbler wrote:I think I requested it elsewhere but longer item descriptions are the main thing I'd find useful right now. Ideally they'd be able to format like text boxes, with portrait pictures to show what the item looks like, but even just having an extra line of text would be great. Thanks!
Same, I requested this back in 2018. Would really like to see it implemented.

I do plan to enter this year, I'll post my request when I can think of it. In the meantime have a WIP screenshot from my game. [spoiler]And yes, I didn't make all the graphics. I might change them later, but this stuff is public domain so I might still roll with it to save time.[/spoiler]
Attachments
jaqlquest0010.png
jaqlquest0010.png (20.87 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
Last edited by Idontknow on Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Working as intended!
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Spoonweaver wrote:I've always felt there should be a trophy for these things.
I'd be willing to pay for a custom one to be shipped to the winner
Thanks, Spoon. I'll add this to the prize pool once I have a chance to scour the thread so far for any others I may have missed.

This is actually a really great prize, by the way. So simple, so obvious, yet sorely missing from previous years' contests. I really appreciate you adding it.

Keep up the good work, everyone. You all are turning this into another fine contest year. 2018 will be hard to beat, but not impossible. Let's make it happen!

And just a reminder, if your game is one of those "debatable" titles we see every season, let us know why it should be included.

And don't forget that you can leave comments and reviews on any game that's already been released during the window to encourage updates authors may want to make before December.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

I want to enter a Hamstervania demo, god willing.
It would have stats, equipment, a world/map, allies/party (kinda) and upgrading/levelling and stuff like that.
There would also be branching choices and lots of dialogue.
Not sure if I have time to work everything in before the deadline though.

EDIT: It's looking dubious as to whether I will get around to a demo of Hamstervania.
Last edited by SwordPlay on Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Wobbler: yes, longer item descriptions are already requested, so you can pick something else. Item graphics would be doable, I'd certainly love to see that myself.

Idontknow: Great. And longer item descriptions is probably one of the first I'll tackle.

Spoonweaver: just the shipping? (If one is made it could be shipped around every two years.)

kylekrack: yes, audio needs attention!

Nathan: That's a really interesting and useful request, but not sure about details.

I do want to allow equipment in slots other than Weapon to add attacks to the battle menu. In fact I wanted the attack to vary by which slot it's in (e.g. "Weapon attack", "<slot1> attack"). Then one concern is how to add it to the menu. I was thinking that the Weapon Attack option would get copied automatically for each equipment with an attack. And no copies at all if even the "weapon" doesn't have one. Problem with this is little control over ordering, and can't sensibly override attack name (e.g. to "Offhand").

By your proposal, that's something you'd accomplish only by editing hero data, and you could allow it on a hero-by-hero basis, which is interesting. But the disadvantages are that the equip will do the same attack in any slot it's equipped to (but it's pretty likely that you'd want a weaker version for the offhand attack, etc), and you'd need to edit the battle menu of every hero, it won't work by default (more of a problem if the attack did vary by slot).

I guess it's feasible (but a good idea?) that the hero battle menu editor could have both a "Equipment attacks" option (which gets copied) and separate "Weapon attack", "Slot1 attack", etc. (But using both in the same menu wouldn't make sense).

I wanted to make stat bonuses, elemental resists, equipped tags and "Who can equip?" also vary by which slot it's equipped in, so attacks should be consistent with that. I've talked about this before a few times.

Kinda getting offtrack, I'm imagining...

Code: Select all

Name&#58; Shield
&#40;...&#41;
==Equipment==
Equippable as&#58; Offhand/Back
Who Can Equip?
Stat Bonuses...  DEF+2, SPD-1
Elemental Resists...
Set tag if equipped&#58; none
=Equipped as Offhand=
Attack&#58; 2 Shield bash
&#40;Add new override&#41;        # Menu with options "Stat Bonuses", "Set tag", "Who can equip", etc
=Equipped as Back=
Attack&#58; 4 Turtle
Stat Bonuses...  DEF+1
&#40;Add override&#41;
=&#40;Add equip slot override&#41;=
But the whole point of these requests is that I can't say "I plan to implement that eventually" and put it off. I won't implement all of the above now, which is far more work, but just the request.
Last edited by TMC on Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

TMC wrote: Spoonweaver: just the shipping? (If one is made it could be shipped around every two years.)
Well I was more or less thinking that every 2 years the person gets a new one
so the people that wins now
and the person that wins in 2022 both have their own trophys

I DO like the idea of a sort of Stanley Cup thing, where the trophy is passed around
and I would be willing to spend more on it if that were the case
but I don't know how real that idea is, since it would require last year's winner to ship the trophy to the new winner
and though it can be assumed that the inner ohr "gang" are most likely to win, that might not be the actual case and an outsider could enter, win and leave never to be heard from again, ruining that tradition

I was sort of also thinking of getting some for the past winners to retro actively get them trophys so all the hot ohr winners could have trophys
but that's likely too much effort and may not be very feasible
Though, getting one for last year's winner would be a good way to test out the product
I remember I got a bumper stick for someone as a prize once and it turned out terrible
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

TMC wrote:Wobbler: yes, longer item descriptions are already requested, so you can pick something else. Item graphics would be doable, I'd certainly love to see that myself.
In that case I'll go with something we'd talked about over email: The option to show icons for certain NPCs on the mini map
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Ah, well I figured even a small trophy is expensive, but actually I have no idea how much it is.
And I figured that since you or someone else willing might not be around every contest to fund such a trophy isn't. But I guess you're right, chance of it disappearing is pretty high.
In that case I'll go with something we'd talked about over email: The option to show icons for certain NPCs on the mini map
Will do!
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

well the cost of trophies varies a lot depending on which one you get
there are some customizable ones for about 5 bucks
and you can pay up to a thousand for others.

I was thinking somewhere in the $20 area, but it depends on what I end up picking
if anyone wants to look into custom trophies and help pick one out, I'd be thankful
also if you want to come up with what it says
I plan to just have the person's name and Winner of the 2020 Heart of the OHR contest
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

five bucks!! I mightn't even expect a quality bumper sticker for that amount.
Nonetheless, I think a trophy of any sort would be something special.

Incidentally, I only just noticed that this contest isn't officially called "Heart of the OHRRPGCE".
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Spoonweaver wrote:Well I was more or less thinking that every 2 years the person gets a new one
so the people that wins now
and the person that wins in 2022 both have their own trophys

I DO like the idea of a sort of Stanley Cup thing, where the trophy is passed around
and I would be willing to spend more on it if that were the case
but I don't know how real that idea is, since it would require last year's winner to ship the trophy to the new winner
and though it can be assumed that the inner ohr "gang" are most likely to win, that might not be the actual case and an outsider could enter, win and leave never to be heard from again, ruining that tradition
TMC wrote:Ah, well I figured even a small trophy is expensive, but actually I have no idea how much it is.
And I figured that since you or someone else willing might not be around every contest to fund such a trophy isn't. But I guess you're right, chance of it disappearing is pretty high.

Not to discourage any good ideas here, but I do want to reemphasize what seems to be a commonly overlooked point I've been making since 2018: There's no guarantee that there will be a HotOHR contest in 2022 or beyond.

I've committed to doing Heart of the OHR up through 2020. Beyond that, it's going to be based on situation. While I am most definitely not suggesting there won't be a 2022 contest, I can't promise that there will most definitely be one, either. After this season, I'll be reevaluating my interest in continuing it. So far, I'm okay with doing more, but we'll see if that continues. I already know that if I come back for a 2022 season, I will be making it a shorter a season (probably July - November to parrot the 2010 season).

So, I just wanted to remind you guys of this before you start making seasonal prizes. As far as guarantees go, this is the last season. That said, 2022 will probably happen somehow, even if it means I get someone else to host it. But no guarantees.

And just so I cover all the bases, my decision will have nothing to do with how successful this year is or isn't. I'm, quite frankly, getting tired, and this spreads my time even thinner, so my decision will be based on how much time and energy I have to bring it back. A shorter season will mean a greater likelihood of me sticking with it a little longer, as the window will be shorter. But because this can tip in either direction, I think it's better that you guys come up with ideas that can be limited to its own season.

Just wanted to be clear because I think everyone has missed this point somehow.
TMC wrote:Incidentally, I only just noticed that this contest isn't officially called "Heart of the OHRRPGCE".
Yep, "Heart of the OHR" rolls off the tongue better.
Place Obligatory Signature Here