Heart of the OHR Contest 2020

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Kefyrra
Red Slime

Post by Kefyrra »

I agree with thecrimsondm, maybe this contest is the push in the right direction I need to make one or two games I've been thinking about for a while. Hopefully this year will mark a comeback for me developing games in OHR.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Oh yes, HotOHR always brings new and familiar faces out of the woodwork :)
kylekrack wrote:Honestly, what would be great is an easy way to add an "Escape" option to battle menus. Holding down escape to run isn't entirely intuitive anyway.
Agreed, but how should it work? Run unconditionally? Maybe it should be equivalent to holding ESC until you press a key to cancel (showing an onscreen prompt telling you that): cause all hero ready meters to shrink to zero, and either it's successful or you press a key and it stops.
Hmm, I wonder whether that should be added automatically to all hero battle menus in games which have ESC-to-run enabled (and maybe, don't already have customised battle menus). There are a couple games which use battle backdrops drawn to the exact size of the battle menu, and more that already have a Run option in the menu, but on the other hand there are a couple thousand OHR games which would be improved by it.
Feenicks wrote:Thinking about things more, either a new attack bitset ('Force battle loss & heroes run away [instant]', maybe?) or a general game bitset ('Heroes run away instantly'?) could work.
That attack bit already exists, called 'Force battle loss & exit (no run animation)".

I've been thinking about this. I want to combine this request with what James suggested and what Andrusi requested in the feature request thread, because I wanted to make run animations customisable anyway, and wanted to add facing/run directions to battles anyway:
-In the hero formation editor, a setting for how to flee:
--run left/right/up/down, run left or right (nearest)*, run off nearest screen edge*, don't move (escape immediately), or dissolve
---* (each hero may go a different way)
---dissolve type and length as suboptions if "dissolve" selected
-While you're holding down ESC trying to run in the case of "don't move" and "dissolve", no animation plays (by default) instead of running in place
-When the animation editor is implemented, you will also be able to define "running" and "try run" animations for each hero sprite. If you wanted, you could make the animation trigger a dissolve and not loop, effectively overriding the hero battle formation setting
-The attack bit to cause heroes to run away respects the hero formation setting
-Eventually, attacks could gain settings to make the party or even just a single hero flee in a certain way (run, dissolve, disappear, play custom animation)

But your request was very simple so I'll aim to get a partial simple version of the above done soon
Last edited by TMC on Mon May 25, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thecrimsondm
Slime

Post by thecrimsondm »

MS paint is weird but here is a hint at what i am currently working on for the contest.
Attachments
cover new.bmp
cover new.bmp (63.55 KiB) Viewed 4017 times
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Remind me: Is this the third One Pirate in the series?
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

TMC wrote:... Maybe it should be equivalent to holding ESC until you press a key to cancel (showing an onscreen prompt telling you that): cause all hero ready meters to shrink to zero, and either it's successful or you press a key and it stops.
Hmm, I wonder whether that should be added automatically to all hero battle menus in games which have ESC-to-run enabled (and maybe, don't already have customised battle menus).
I think adding a run option that works like this would be a great feature... Although I don't care for retroactively adding it to the menus in existing games. Better to just make it available, and authors can add it if they want it.
thecrimsondm
Slime

Post by thecrimsondm »

Pepsi Ranger wrote:Remind me: Is this the third One Pirate in the series?
Not really. The second game isn't really cannon as it was kind of a disaster from my teenage years that somehow survived, mostly intact. (I lost the computer that had the finished game on it T-T) So instead I'm going to revamp and add to the first game. There was a lot I wanted to do with the first game, and this includes making it look, sound, and play better, but mostly includes adding the elements I originally wanted to have in there onto it.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

So many cool people are entering?
I want to be cool!

Hamstervania (working title) isn't anywhere near finished, or even an RPG at this point.... but I would tentatively like to enter it.

Good luck everyone!
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

I'd like all of you to try crazy things! Please don't be Nintendo, because they are far (far!) better at it. Two years ago, and even the terrible games too, they had something, because they were strange and new. And had an interesting (doesn't have to be equal to deep thought) storyline or some had interesting (doesn't have to be equal to polished) graphics. Just enjoy, what you do, then the players will enjoy it too (probably if you are not too crazy).

My game will not participate this year, because I only have one third of all the text boxes translated. It was pointless to put it in the competition last time, because it's an RPG and these type of games are mostly about reading understandable dialogues. Sorry for that... but I'm looking forward to all of your games!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I had almost forgotten about my attempt at automatically translation of games. I got pretty far. I'll pick it up again when I feel the urge.
SwordPlay wrote:Hamstervania (working title) isn't anywhere near finished, or even an RPG at this point.... but I would tentatively like to enter it.
You mean it might become an RPG??
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Bird wrote:My game will not participate this year, because I only have one third of all the text boxes translated. It was pointless to put it in the competition last time, because it's an RPG and these type of games are mostly about reading understandable dialogues. Sorry for that... but I'm looking forward to all of your games!
I wouldn't call it pointless to enter last time. Didn't you come in 4th place? That's pretty impressive for a game that most participants couldn't read.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I'm entering Walthros: Renewal demo 1.6 as my Heart entry - https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewgame.php?p=136421

What's New:

-Added Retry option when you’re defeated in battle.
-Added Continue option to title screen to load last autosave.
-Added additional secret treasures to find on the World Map.
-Balance adjustment: KO’d heroes now recover 1 HP after battle in Normal Mode.
-Completed Bayswater Village zone.
-Completed optional dungeon (Grounded Ship).
-Added Bayswater side quests.
-Added Dinner with Friends scene to Bayswater.
-Fixed animations on some healing items.
-Fixed a bug with Salom’s Flip Flop attack.
-Adjusted costs of weapon upgrades.
-Adjusted cost of Salom’s multi-hit attacks.
-Added limited visibility to Alpha City Ruins.
-Added transparency effects throughout game.
-Added Burpin Bros arcade machine to Bayswater (In final version this will be moved to Flopsberg)
-Expanded hero bios and bestiary.
-Updated some hero and NPC graphics.
-Fixed uncommon glitch during Blue Shrine emergence scene.
-Fixed a visual glitch with Bunny Soda revive item.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Is it HOTOHR time already?
I look forward to the games!
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

Change of plan: Crazy Computer Competition was poorly prepared at the Ridiculous Games Contest three month ago and now deserves another look. Which doesn't mean, that it looks better. But it sounds and (hopefully) plays better!
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I got very stuck in CCC, so I'd definitely like to see a version that doesn't kick my butt so thoroughly (at least not until after the first few battles). The concept was unique and fun, it just seemed like no matter how I built, I didn't stand a chance against the second challenger. I couldn't find any ways to grind xp/money, either.

As for my own project, I really wish I had time for everything I want to do. I'm putting most of my eggs into Minesweeper Tactics and a commercial project I've been working on for 2 years. I just don't know how that will leave me with enough time to make an entire RPG! I have the whole plot for my prospective hotohr submission written out, as well as outlines of the high-level systems. I just have to carve out time to actually make it.

I will post gifs when I have them. Don't have much to show at the moment other than a design doc, and that's not very interesting.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Okay, I'm withdrawing my statement about trying to tack content onto the already solid and extremely good A Quest. Instead, I am making a new game.

Bonecrush the Demolisher is a game about a hero who's been tasked with defeating evil overlords by his girlfriend, the Princess of Downunder. The other soldiers at the castle constantly demean him even though all his base stats are 30% above average and he's level 8 when most of them are in the 1-3 range. Eventually, Bonecrush realizes that the Princess is herself an evil overlord just like those he's deposed in her name, and breaks himself free of her tyrannical rule and toxic manipulation.

Will Bonecrush find true love? Of course he will, this is a game I'm making and I'm a sucker for that kind of thing.

Will I finish the game in time for the contest? If the allegory isn't obvious enough, I'm probably going to have plenty of free time to work on it coming up. Hint hint.

Will there be plotscripts for once? Yes. I actually am going to make a thread asking for help setting up a very specific game death mechanic which will make the game even more metal than a hero named Bonecrush wielding a cursed sword named Dethbane would otherwise be.

Will it use ripped music to fit the game feel like A Quest or public domain feel to fit the high fantasy aesthetic like Trytuges? I've made my decision - play the game yourself to find out.

Go, mighty hero, use the sword Dethbane and bring the very restful death you are denied to your enemies!
Attachments
spritesheet2.PNG
spritesheet2.PNG (7.13 KiB) Viewed 3668 times
spritesheet.PNG
spritesheet.PNG (7.3 KiB) Viewed 3668 times
It used to be that Maces Wild was my darkest game. Maybe I'll lighten the tiles a couple shades but this one ultimately ought to be my darkest and edgiest.
It used to be that Maces Wild was my darkest game. Maybe I'll lighten the tiles a couple shades but this one ultimately ought to be my darkest and edgiest.
Bonecrush the Demolisher0002.png (1.44 KiB) Viewed 3668 times
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!