Prize Pool 2020

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Prize Pool 2020

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Hey guys,

As most of you know, Heart of the OHR 2020 is just around the corner (in one week to be exact).

That means it's time to get the prize pool going.

If you'd like to contribute artwork, music, poetry, pizza, cash prizes, game rewards, or something else of interest to the top winners, please let me know either here or by PM by next Thursday (April 30).

If you'd like to contribute, but you don't know what offer yet, that's fine. You can decide up until the final month. But I would like as many contributors before the start date as possible to provide a thorough announcement so that we all have something to strive for on day one.

As always, I'll be posting the official rules and the latest changes once the window opens on May 1st.

Thanks ahead of time to everyone who wants to contribute to the prize pool.

(And if you have no idea what I'm talking about, here's a link to last season's Heart of the OHR.)
Place Obligatory Signature Here
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

I have one OHR Mousepad left I can submit to the winner that I'll volunteer.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

I'd like to offer some small prizes to the top 3/5 (and maybe other entrants)
either a small cash prize ($5-10) or a steam game of similar value, each.
and perhaps some art/poetry :3
I'd really like to make sure runners-up get something nice for their efforts, as well as the winner.

good luck all!
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

I will contribute $20 towards a cash prize pool.

I will also draw a thing for the winner. (Pixel or crayon, winner's choice)

I don't think my available free time is going to allow me to promise feature requests to participants this year (and my track record for implementing them in the past wasn't great, even when I did have time) but it is still generally a good thing to suggest features that will help you finish your game
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the contributions so far. I'll be posting the official announcement shortly (with a brand new official trailer, too).

Just want to remind you that you can update your contribution or add to it at any time. Listing a prize option here does not commit you to it. We all know that times change and life changes as the days go by. Your good intention may not be possible come award time. If you find yourself in that position, don't worry about fulfilling your suggested prize. Remember, these are just suggestions.

That said, I would like to ask for a clarification on one thing:
Swordplay wrote:and perhaps some art/poetry :3
Anything specific? Your clarification will help me decide how I list it on the contest page. Thanks.

Okay, everyone, the window is just about open. If you have anything else you'd like to contribute, please let me know as soon as possible.

Stay tuned for the official launch announcement very, very soon. The trailer is coming.
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

Of course, we will hold a spot on the front page for the winner.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

Pepsi Ranger wrote: Anything specific? Your clarification will help me decide how I list it on the contest page. Thanks.
Tell them I'm going to come to their house and hammer them until they stop making games.
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I'm going to offer HeartBug feature requests or bugfixes again, since James can't. But I still haven't done the huge majority of requests from last time (oh, don't look! It's embarrassing!), so I feel bad about making the offer again. However I still intend to implement the 2018 ones, and soon (except maybe some of the dropout requests). Actually I had been hoping to spend this month, err, April working on them, but the Gorgonzola release has dragged out an extra month, so I spent the month fixing bugs instead.

I hadn't spoken up yet because I hadn't figured out yet how I'll ensure it'll be different this time, but how about this:
  • I'll offer a choice of bugfix or (desirable) feature request to anyone who declares their intent to enter the contest.
    If a request is small enough I'll aim to do it within a few weeks, if it's larger I'll aim for four months. And I won't accept any if I'm not confident I can do it (plus all others and my own plans) in that timeframe. If it's something I wanted to do soonish anyway, then it'll cause me to prioritise it sooner rather than later.
Of course you can ask before locking in a request.

No need to re-request something from 2018.
Last edited by TMC on Fri May 01, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

TMC wrote:I'm going to offer HeartBug feature requests or bugfixes again, since James can't. But I still haven't done the huge majority of requests from last time (oh, don't look! It's embarrassing!), so I feel bad about making the offer again. However I still intend to implement the 2018 ones, and soon (except maybe some of the dropout requests). Actually I had been hoping to spend this month, err, April working on them, but the Gorgonzola release has dragged out an extra month, so I spent the month fixing bugs instead.
you are only one hamster- er, cacti... don't feel bad, you have a life and already do too much.
sometimes its hard to believe so much is done by so few
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

TMC wrote:I'm going to offer HeartBug feature requests or bugfixes again, since James can't.
Thanks. I've added this to the prize list on the official announcement. I've linked it back to your post. How would you like entrants to make their requests? Here? In the Official HotOHR thread? In a separate thread? Via pigeon?
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Well they need to start by declaring that they're entering, which they should do in the main thread!
But it doesn't matter to me where they make the request. Up to you. I think I got a number of requests in Discord last time too.
Baconlabs
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Baconlabs »

Ahoy.

I'm a few days late, but I'd like to contribute some stuff to this year's prizes. I've had some lingering guilt about ghosting the entire year of [s]2019[/s] 2018 away (oh my gosh I didn't realize how hard I hit the eject button, what year is it), but I'm in a much more stable position in life this time around. I may not be able to finish anything for the contest itself, but I'd like to at least support this community effort somehow, now that I've got some skills and cash to spare.

First, for a first place winner, I'd like to buy them any product on their Steam Wishlist of their choosing up to $60 dollars in value, or just contribute $60 to the grand prize if they prefer. I'm not sure how the details work for the latter, so I'll coordinate with you guys via PM or Discord (@achinlabs) or Twitter (also @achinlabs) for that.

Second, I will livestream the top 5 winning games on my Twitch channel ( www.twitch.tv/achinlabs ).

Related to the above, but not really what I'd call a "prize", I will probably at some point blitz through every [s]non-top-5[/s] every HotOHR2020 entry in one (or more) big livestream(s), spending somewhere between 5-30 minutes for each game.

That's all, looking forward to seeing what peoples create. I promise I won't vanish from the forums this time.

Edit: Cleaned up post, made tweaks to prize #2. When I do full livestreams for the winners' games, I'll be resuming with my save file from the blitz-stream.
Last edited by Baconlabs on Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:10 am, edited 2 times in total.