Release Candidate for the gorgonzola stable release

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Ravancloak
Red Slime

Post by Ravancloak »

On mac using this build, any script that assigns slice a handle will give an error: "invalid slice handle 0". As I was just figuring slices out, I thought it was an error on my end, but it's consistent in every .rpg, including pixelwalker.rpg, and the same scripts don't give errors in fufluns.
Have a flower! ^-^~* (she/her)
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Well that's disastrous. But strange; I haven't heard anything from other Mac users or anyone else.

Maybe you could run autotest.rpg (it runs automatically without interaction; don't press any keys) and then post your g_debug.txt if it fails? It'll take a few minutes (unless you run it with --runfast as we usually do), so just leave it in the background.
Last edited by TMC on Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ravancloak
Red Slime

Post by Ravancloak »

I was thinking bout it, and it's very possible that I had the wrong version of game that didn't match the version of custom, gonna test that
Have a flower! ^-^~* (she/her)
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I've added "get opacity", "set opacity", "get blend mode", "set blend mode", "get blending enabled", and "set blending enabled". I've also fixed various problems that happened when you dissolved a transparent/blended sprite. All combinations now work properly. For example if you use the "Fade" dissolve on a sprite set to 70% Additive opacity, it'll fade out from 70% to 0% as Additive, not Normal, blending.

I renamed the Evaporate and Evaporate Up dissolves to Puff and Fade Up. So if you've used these in a script, you need to change your script (looking at RMZ).

I also spent quite some time making the plotdict slightly better looking, and updating or improving documentation of various commands.

Eek, I haven't fixed any non-blending bugs yet!
Ravancloak wrote:I was thinking bout it, and it's very possible that I had the wrong version of game that didn't match the version of custom, gonna test that
I don't think that could have caused that error.
Last edited by TMC on Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Sounds like right now the only release-blocker is that invalid slice handle 0 error that Ravancloak saw on Mac

Has anyone else had a chance to test a current nightly build on Mac yet?
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I also want to fix the regression Fnrrf reported, that I broke targetting for jumping heroes.
Another regression is that the innosetup download apparently didn't work (at least on one occasion; you randomly get redirected to different mirrors, which causes random failures on Win 9X). Plus the new Innosetup 6 dropped support for Win 2000 & XP so we have to change the download link to an older version anyway. 5.4.3 was the last version to support Win 95.
Last edited by TMC on Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

First of all, you really want to knock the RPG Maker out of the choice! The OHR has overcome so many graphical limits in the last years... it will reach the RPG Maker soon.

Secondly, there is one thing that is not beautiful. Look at the animation GIF, where the interface says "Def pal" in the bottom-right corner. When the palette number has a different amount of digits, the text gets shifted very shortly, but remarkable.

Thirdly, why [s]when[/s] are setup programs needed? One absolutely great thing about the OHR is, that no system patches were required ever. It works on any fresh install of any Windows I've seen so far. Okay, Linux wants some additional programs for MIDI sound, but that seems to be the (small) burden of using Linux.

Last year, I tested some RPG Maker games and it was such a mess! 100 MB of fat patches had to be applied to get most of the games working. Not to mention the system requirements.
Attachments
Look at "Def pal". It's clunky.
Look at "Def pal". It's clunky.
Notbeautiful.gif (194.98 KiB) Viewed 2638 times
Last edited by Bird on Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

"Def pal" jumping like that is due to a problem with how slice positions are computed, specifically a new "Cover Children" setting which is still a bit buggy, which is why it's not available yet.
Thirdly, when are setup programs needed?
I'm not sure what the question is?
Our Windows and Mac programs are totally self-contained, the Windows installer doesn't do much.
On Linux there are dependencies. I would like to add a way to package OHRRPGCE games for Linux with all the necessary libraries included... except maybe for MIDI patches...
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

I'm sorry, I didn't proof-read my text. The question was of course: "Why are setup programs needed?" But as you said it, Windows Installer doesn't do much.
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

I'm sorry, I didn't proof-read my text. The question was of course: "Why are setup programs needed?" But as you said it, Windows Installer doesn't do much.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Random idea I had because of all of the FF7 craze lately... how much trouble, and/or is there any interest in making a copy of Fade to White and making it "Fade to Color" and then you assign the color? Or could you make it an assignable color in "Change User-Interface Colors". If this is a lot of effort, then forget it, but if it's easy, I think I'd use it to make enemies die in a flash of red like they do in Final Fantasy 7.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

The intention was always to add "Fade to color", but I was planning to add dissolve parameters to customise the colour (which would be editable anywhere you can use a dissolve). I didn't think of adding a UI colour for the default. I could do that, and rename it to "Fade to color"
Last edited by TMC on Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

RedMaverickZero wrote: I think I'd use it to make enemies die in a flash of red like they do in Final Fantasy 7.
I was about to suggest this exact same thing. I'd ALSO like to see a "shaking" motion for "boss" type enemies that sort of spaz out a bit before biting the dust.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

There's lots of different variants of shaking and different ways you might want to combine it with dissolve effects, so I think it would be better if it's not a dissolve but a sprite animation, which you can define yourself. I want to get customisable sprite animations into the next version.

Bena found three different bugs in the Distribute Game menu (well, actually one of them he reported long ago). I've fixed two so far, but the third (can't distribute for Linux from recent Win10) is a problem with bsdtar, which impelled me to test on FreeBSD, where I found lots more problems. So I'm still working through a lot of bugs before the release.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I don't know when it'll be, but I think the only thing holding up a release is an Android build problem, and James not having time on weekdays.

Since the release candidate was declared I've fixed approx 41 "bugs" (quotes because the majority are trivial, but I fixed a bunch of crashes too), so if you haven't downloaded a nightly recently, it would bring us peace of mind to know people had tested them. Especially because Idontknow found a release blocker just moments ago (an error when adding a new enemy; fixed).
Last edited by TMC on Fri May 01, 2020 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.