Release Candidate for the next stable release!

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Release Candidate for the next stable release!

Post by Bob the Hamster »

TMC just super-punched the remaining release-blocker bugs, and that means we are celebrating the new year with a release-candidate for the next stable release!

Here is how it works:

* Please test the current nightly builds! We need your help confirming that they are stable!

* If all goes well, the new stable release, "Fufluns" will be released within a few days!

http://hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/nig ... er-wip.exe
http://hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/nig ... CE-wip.dmg
http://hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/nightly/
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Stable release? We still do those??

Some particular areas of interest:

Mac builds are now 64-bit rather than 32-bit (32-bit ones are still available). I'd like someone to confirm importing music and scripts work.

Does anyone get a crash when copy-pasting text between Custom and other programs on Windows? Fenrir said it happens every time, but I can't reproduce it.

There have been mysterious crashes when viewing minimaps, but I suspect it's actually memory corruption caused elsewhere.

And there's this bug where a certain tag-enabled item was disappearing from a shop, which I just couldn't reproduce, so keep an eye out for anything like that.

See if you can break the spriteset browser/editor (a lot of changes in there recently, including menu to resize spritesets and copy-paste between sprite types again).
Last edited by TMC on Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

Just updated Vikings and am running through to ensure nothing's been broken! The ending's half-done, but requires a LOT of art assets that I've not really had the time to do. Everything else aside from the new music tracks from Bena are ready to rock though.

Copy and pasting text strings within Custom still seems to be borked, although the copied text strings CAN be pasted outside it into a notepad/window/whatever.

Haven't noticed any other outstanding bugs though. This seems to be a fairly stable release!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

When you said "within" do you mean copying-pasting from one text field inside Custom to another? What about pasting in Custom after copying from another program?

Sword (of course) already found that there is a bug in changing default palettes in the spriteset browser or editor. I'm not surprised... that's what happens when you make last-minute changes! (I made changes to how default palettes are loaded and saved just yesterday).
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

OK, I worked out that the clipboard paste crash only happens with gfx_directx (which isn't the default for Custom) on Win 7+, so I don't need any more testing. I don't think it'll be fixed for Fufluns.

I've fixed the default palette problem Sword reported. Take note:
If you changed the default palette of a spriteset in the spriteset browser (the toplevel menu showing all the spritesets, as opposed to the sprite editor) in the Fufluns release candidate (nightlies since 2020-01-01) it saved incorrectly: default palettes are stored in two places and they would become inconsistent. You wouldn't notice the problem until you quit and reopened Custom.
Upgrade to the latest nightly (or to Fufluns when released). When you enter a spriteset browser for the first time, the default palettes for all those spritesets will be checked you'll be told if any of them had to be fixed.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Looking good so far for a release this weekend
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Okay, I am calling this release candidate stable.

I'll start working on the stable release now. Might actually be ready by tomorrow, we'll see!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Then we'll have a race! I've got another bugfix.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

I don't plan on blocking the release for this one, but I spotted a couple oddities in the scons test output
scons test wrote: Test #17: implicitlyReadonly... Pass
Took 13 �s
Test #18: killDir...
Ignore 1 error:
killdir: '_testfile.tmp' is not a directory, it is a file. Skipping.
Pass
Took 30 �s
Test #19: killFile... Pass
Took 66.4 ms
Test #20: canWriteAgain... Pass
Took 249 �s
Test #21: touchfile... Pass
Took 69 �s
Test #22: lazyclose... Ignore two errors:
(BUG) ERROR: Double [lazy]close of _writetest.tmp
(BUG) ERROR: Double close (close after lazyclose) of _writetest.tmp

Pass
Took 38.4 ms
Test #23: gzipRead... gzip -9 -c /home/james/src/ohrrpgce/filetest > _testfile.tmp.gz
gzip compressed in 617 ms
gzip compressed size = 716990
lodepng decompressed in 24 ms
original size = 2085328
Pass
Took 645 ms
Test #24: gzipWrite...
lodepng compressed in 599 ms
lodepng compressed size = 727770
gzip -d _testfile.tmp.gz
gzip decompressed in 20 ms
Pass
Took 624 ms
Test #25: rename... Pass
Took 161 �s
Test #26: renameReplaceOpenFile... renamefile took 0ms
Pass
Took 185 �s
Test #27: renameMoveOpenFile... Pass
Took 254 �s
Test #28: renameShareDeleteFile... Pass
Took 191 �s
All tests passed.
scons: done building targets.
james@syenite:~/src/ohrrpgce$ filetest_helper: Couldn't open _testfile4.tmp
I think it has been doing this for a little while, I just only noticed today
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Windows release builds fail with the following:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\james\src\ohr\rel\fufluns\win32\relump.pdb: cannot load PDB helper DLL
scons: done building targets.
"ERROR: build result win32\game.pdb is missing. Unable to continue."
ERROR: Sanity test failed, distribution files are incomplete!
distrib/ohrrpgce-*: No such file or directory
I am looking for a workaround

EDIT: my workaround for now is to disable the check for whether or not pdb files failed. I have no idea why they work for wip but fail for release
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

The BUG messages are expected: they are what the "Ignore two errors: " on the previous line refers to.

The "filetest_helper: Couldn't open _testfile4.tmp" error at the end happens randomly quite a lot. A robust solution would be to somehow wait for the helper to have opened the file before continuing, but that's a nuisance. I guess I could add longer waits to try to make it less likely.

Aren't you building the release on the nightly build machine? Generating .pdbs wasn't a problem before. You do need some dlls (unzip into support/) which I sent you previously.
Last edited by TMC on Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

yes, I am building the release on the nightly vms. The pdbs still work for wip nightly, and I have no idea why.

EDIT: I'll check the dll files
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Ah, of course, you're building from rel\fufluns instead of from wip\, but the dlls were placed in wip\support\.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Yup, that seemed to fix it. Thank you!

All the release builds are now uploaded to http://hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/archive/ and people can start testing them.

Tomorrow I need to fix the script that sets all the symlinks on the web site (It is missing support for the 64 bit Linux and Mac builds)

After that I can update the wiki and announce the release officially
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

:O

OK, I'll be sure to test the symbols/crash reporter and distributing for Mac.
Hmm, OHRRPGCE-2020-01-11-fufluns-x86_64.dmg is suspiciously smaller than the x86 build.

The release date will be 12th (in Jamestown) as stated in whatsnew, but the names of archive say 2020-01-11?