The "I'm writing a book" thread

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Good suggestion!

I rephrased it to:
A new city and a fresh start was what former thief Catt Zago was looking for, but what she found instead was Great Bakak, a city-state ruled ancient tradition and full of everyday magic. A place full of many gods and many people. A place where the King rules supreme, but the royal executioners seem to be calling the shots.
The cover was a commission from an artist named R-tan https://www.deviantart.com/r-tan I am really pleased with how it came out, and he was great to work with. The artwork actually wraps around the whole cover, so you can see the left side of the square and some temple roofs on the back cover.

I have my e-book document formatted so I am happy with it (thanks again for those links, Pepsi!) Today I try to run it through Smashwords' meatgrinder and find what conversion issues I still need to fix. Wish me luck!
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

I like most of what you're posting here. I'd maybe consider getting extra feedback on the cover fonts though. Remember that the font is just as important to the genre as the cover image is.

If you need ideas, check out this series.
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

I really liked that font for the print cover, but it hadn't occurred to me that I might want a different font for the e-book cover. I'll consider that. Thank you for the link

EDIT: one thing I have noticed about comparing print books and e-book covers is that the fonts are pretty consistently HUGE on e-book covers, probably because of how often they are viewed as thumbnails.
Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

EDIT: one thing I have noticed about comparing print books and e-book covers is that the fonts are pretty consistently HUGE on e-book covers, probably because of how often they are viewed as thumbnails.
Exactly. But even print books need to show up well as thumbnails, since most sales for indie authors will happen online.

I should probably reiterate that your font is likely fine. It's the typography that you may want to test a little more.

For fun, I messed around with the typography on one of my old e-books (that I'll be rewriting this summer, most likely). You can see the difference a well-used, well designed typeface can make on a book. It's especially important that the font is genre appropriate. Googling "genre appropriate fonts" is a good idea if you're not sure if yours will work as well as another.

EDIT: Here's the linked version of the picture because Slime Salad's random photo display options (view immediately vs. download to view) is stupid.

Last edited by Pepsi Ranger on Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

That is great! the bigger text looks really nice. I am very much a fan of the all-caps-font for title and author

Also, the adjustments to the photo, while relatively subtle, do make a big difference :D

I decided to stick with the same font, but simply to bump it up in size. Here is what I have now.
Attachments
TAC Ebook Cover Image - 400x600 - 2020-04-19.png
TAC Ebook Cover Image - 400x600 - 2020-04-19.png (571.94 KiB) Viewed 3003 times
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

That's better. Keep in mind that your name might be too close to all of the lower edges. I'd definitely reel it in a little. This is especially important for the print book when you factor in bleed edges. You might also want to try a version where your name is the same width or close to the same width as the title.

Don't be afraid of tracking and kerning your typography! In my example, I'm tracking at -0.300 to keep the lines close together without putting them on top of each other.

Kerning = The distance between letters.
Tracking = The distance between lines.

Here's how tracking and kerning can be used to create title art:

You probably don't need to get too fancy here since your image should be the center of attention. But having typography that complements the image would be ideal. Shrinking the author name just a bit would make it much better.
Last edited by Pepsi Ranger on Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Just found another useful resource last night that I'm super impressed with. Maybe you've heard of it, maybe not.

All of us know about Adobe PhotoShop, Illustrator, and InDesign. We also know that we have to spend $52.99 a month to use all three programs, which is useful only if we plan to use more than three Creative Cloud apps every month. Fortunately, we get a ton of apps for that price. Unfortunately, most of those apps are just add-ons to the big three (or four, if you include Premier). Seems hardly worth it to pay over $600 a year to rent a bunch of apps we'd hardly use.

For years, I've been troubled by this price point because I really wanted PhotoShop for game and cover design, Illustrator for additional vector design, and InDesign for accurate layouts for my books. In fact, I've often thought I needed InDesign to make my paperbacks industry standard.

Turns out, I don't need any of them.

When I searched for "indesign alternatives" on YouTube last night, I kept seeing videos for something called "Affinity Publisher." I'm usually skeptical of any software that claims to compete with the titans of industry, and it didn't help that the thumbnails for these videos were amateur-looking. But I checked out what they said about it, anyway.

The first video got me curious, so I checked out the more "official" videos. Finally, I watched a 30-minute video from someone who creates books.

And each video got me wanting this thing more and more.

So I bought it last night.

Turns out, Affinity Publisher is so much like InDesign that I don't even know if there's a noticeable omission. From my understanding, the user-interface is actually easier than InDesign (and the free alternative, Scribus). But here's the cool thing: It integrates with Affinity's other two flagship programs, Photo (the worthy PhotoShop alternative) and Designer (the worthy Illustrator alternative), by allowing you to press a button, in Publisher, and switch immediately to the profile for the other program, allowing you to access all of its tools. That means you can edit images and other elements right from the page you're designing for your book, magazine, whatever.

It's probably no surprise that I also bought Photo and Designer, just to maintain the entire suite.

So how close to $600 a year did I come to buy these programs?

Well, they retail for $50 each. One-time purchase. Free updates forever (I believe).

And I got them during one of their 50% off sales. So I spent $25 for each one. I never have to buy Adobe Anything now, but I can still do just about anything the Adobe products would let me do.

That said, if you're looking for an alternative to Adobe Creative Cloud that you can own for a one-time payment at a fourth of the cost (or eighth if you get it during the same sale that I bought my copies in), I'd give Affinity a look. I'm impressed with it so far.

And yes, I'm totally porting my OHR instruction manuals to Publisher. Imagine learning how to play Entrepreneur: The Beginning from a fancy guide!

Seriously, these are good programs and worth the look.

EDIT: Cross-posting to my blog.
Last edited by Pepsi Ranger on Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Okay, I'm done! My books is available for sale here: https://james.hamsterrepublic.com/writing/

Yay!

Here is the un-cropped cover-art image:
done by the very talented https://www.deviantart.com/r-tan

So one of the characters is very loosely based on my character from BMR's <a href="https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewto ... >Catacombs of Avacor</a> D&D Campaign. That campaign was mostly dungeon-crawl so I didn't have much chance to developer her very much until I decided to re-use her name and description in the book. I am quite happy with how she came out as a character. I don't think I'll ever use her again as a D&D character, she took on too much of a life of her own in the book.

Also, the setting, Great Bakak is the same city where the <a href="https://www.slimesalad.com/forum/viewto ... burning</a> D&D campaign took place. The city is the same, and the Unburning curse is the same, but I only re-used very minor characters like Provincial and the Wire Golem Jangley. None of the players appear (I wouldn't do that without permission anyway)
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Yay! Congrats. It looks great. I also checked out the artist's Web page. He's good.

For your book links, it might be easier to consolidate them into a Universal Book Link (from Books2Read) so that readers from all of Amazon's regions can be linked to their regional equivalent automatically. That way you don't have to use separate buttons for US and Canadian readers (and omit the other ten).
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Hey, all you novelists out there. Heard about Bookshop recently. They have a platform about supporting local bookstores who are losing to online stores (Amazon). It looks like they're providing some incentive for authors to become affiliates of them, like 10% royalties per purchase (which is apparently good?) and no starting fees. I'm only posting in case it interests anyone here. It looks worth looking into.

There's a PDF as well that has a bit more detail than the website appears to:
https://public-production.bookshop.org/ ... ochure.pdf

EDIT: Oh my god! I didn't notice it was for sale already, James! Time to start sending this link to everyone!
Last edited by kylekrack on Thu May 28, 2020 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Thanks! I'll check out Bookshop. It looks interesting!

And yes! Thief, Acolyte, Consort is out! Please do tell anyone who might be interested

I am also 11000 words into my next novel :D
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Just put in the order for a physical copy :D

My friend asked if you were planning on making an audiobook version of the novel. I assumed not, but apparently there's demand for it. With platforms like Audible, it may promote more reader-er, listenership to have that option.

And can I mention how clean your site looks? Very chic
Ps. I love my wife
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

I would love to do an audiobook, but hiring a voice actor to read it is out of my price range right now, and I don't currently have nought spare time to try and record one myself.

But it is definitely on my list of things I would like to do!

(And thank you! I am pleased with how the site game out. I mostly used w3.css stylesheets)
Pepsi Ranger
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Pepsi Ranger »

Thanks for posting that, Kylekrack. I'll check it out soon. We should definitely support local booksellers as much as possible.

For those interested, I've published a five-part video series on YouTube about getting a book onto Google Play Books this week (Part 5 will be live at 1pm EST today). This is a big deal because several years ago, Google Play Books shut out most new authors (they could get in only through publishers), but they've recently let them back in.

Here's the chapter list for the series if you're interested.

Note: Each video comes with resources and an action checklist. I'd recommend watching the videos directly on YouTube for best results and the most complete information. Alternatively, you can consult my companion article (going live at 1pm EST today) for the complete rundown.

Series Title:

Publishing with Google Play Books

Series Description:

Now that Google Play Books has reopened its service to all independent publishers, it’s a good idea to publish your books there and expand your audience reach. But how do you do that? This five-part series will walk you through the basic steps to get up and running.

Part 1: Using Calibre to Prepare Your Google Play Books E-Book

Episode Description:

Google Play Books requires at least one of two formats to get your e-book online and available for consumption: EPUB and PDF. It recommends you upload both. Part 1 of the “Publishing with Google Play Books Series� covers the basics for getting an EPUB ready for the service, using a free EPUB creation tool, Calibre.

Note: This episode covers the simplest method for getting an EPUB built on Calibre and ready for Google Play Books. You’ll need to learn CSS and HTML to develop a more specialized or attractive EPUB file, which this video will not cover. I’ve listed two great resources below to help you take these basics to the professional-level.

[yt]CkkJsjm6lQg[/yt]

Part 2: Quick but Effective PDF Formatting for Google Play Books

Episode Description:

Google Play Books requires at least one of two formats to get your e-book online and available for consumption: EPUB and PDF. It recommends you upload both. Part 2 of the “Publishing with Google Play Books Series� covers the basics of formatting a PDF for the service, using Microsoft Word.

Note: This episode covers the simplest effective method for getting a stylish PDF ready for Google Play Books. For a more complex but ultimately more rewarding result, come back for Part 4 when I talk about a program designed for better formatting.

[yt]mtChIt_eEJc[/yt]

Part 3: Getting the Book onto Google Play Books

Episode Description:

Once your books are properly formatted, it’s time to upload them to Google Play Books. This video will show you how to prepare your book’s page and get it onto the service.

[yt]XNwCUbf9xjw[/yt]

Part 4: Using Affinity Publisher to Create a Stunning PDF for Google Play Books

Episode Description:

Creating a simple PDF for Google Play Books is fine. But wouldn’t you rather give your readers something that actually looks nice? In this video, we use Affinity Publisher to create a more sophisticated PDF than the one we made in Part 2.

Note 1: Affinity products are cheaper, non-subscription based alternatives to Adobe products. Affinity Photo, Designer, and Publisher are equivalent to Adobe PhotoShop, Illustrator, and InDesign respectively.

Note 2: All Affinity products are on sale for 50% off until June 20, 2020. Get all three (Photo, Designer, and Publisher) if you want to maximize your development. There is also a 90-day trial period in place until June 20 if you aren’t sure you want to just plop the money down straightaway.

[yt]DGAP6HjUZEw[/yt]

Part 5: Reviewing the Product Page for Your New Google Play Books E-Book

Episode Description:

Now that your new book is uploaded to Google Play Books and approved for sale, let’s check it out and see what the customer will see.

This episode also compares analytics between Google Play Books, Amazon KDP, Smashwords, and Draft2Digital, so you get a bonus part-within-a-part for watching this episode. Congratulations.

[yt]WZJcHeYD4_o[/yt]

VIDEO LINK WILL GO LIVE AT 1PM EST

Reminder: Each video comes with resources and an action checklist. I'd recommend watching the videos directly on YouTube for best results and the most information. Alternatively, you can consult my companion article (going live at 1pm EST today) for the complete rundown.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

My paperback copy arrived pretty fast! Now I can pressure my family members into reading it by physically placing it in front of them
Attachments
20200531_124909.jpg
20200531_124909.jpg (3.65 MiB) Viewed 1302 times
Ps. I love my wife