OHR 2019 Halloween Contest

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

It's that spooky time of year again, and everyone knows the scariest thing in life is the crushing pressure of finishing a game by a contest's deadline. So hop in and seal your fate as we all create some festive games together.

Entry Categories

Halloween games can be very different, and judging them against one another can be appropriately challenging. For this purpose, this contest will have categories in which you will enter your game under.

Festive:
Festive games are ones that include traditional holiday themes (eg. Pumpkins, Witches, Trick or Treating, etc.) or have some other element that distinguishes them as a "Halloween Game."

Some examples include WitchX by Feenicks and Spooks and Summons by Fenrir-Lunaris.

Horror:
These entries may not include explicit holiday themes, but consider themselves Halloween games by appealing to the spooky emphasis of the holiday. Horror as a genre is fairly broad, so it's up to you to determine what kind of horror you wish to invoke.

Some examples include Bloodlust by Only One In All (CW Warning: Mature Themes) and Purgatory by Friend.

***Some additional rules***
OHR games are preferred for this contest, but other game engines are allowed.

Your entry must be a game and must fit into one of the above categories, or be otherwise describable as a Halloween-themed game.

If your game contains explicit content or anything that may be somehow sensitive or offensive, please include a content warning in both the game page's description and in your post on this forum thread. (for example, adding "Content Warning: Blood, Sex, Tears" at the bottom of your post is enough)

Deadline

Entries are due on October 31st. Please post a link to your game in this thread, and specify whether you are submitting as a Festive or Horror entry.

I would appreciate if those of you who plan to submit posted their intentions to ahead of time. That way I can gauge what the turnout might be. Considering there are multiple categories, we'll need a decent selection of games to make voting interesting!

Voting

Voting will announce 3 winners. A Festive category winner, a Horror category winner, and an Overall winner. (these may overlap, eg. if the Festive winner also wins Overall)

To vote, please play all* of the submitted games, then post in this thread listing:
1. Your favorite Festive game
2. Your favorite Horror game
3. Your favorite Overall game**

* you do not have to play games that include content you wish to avoid in order to vote.
** the same game may be listed twice.

Voting will close on November 8th. Results will be announced on November 9th.

The Entries:

Spooks and Summons by Fenrir-Lunaris

breakout.rpg by kylekrack and MorpheusKitami

CASTLE OF THE PUMPKIN KING by dantedynamite

witch.rpg/'Any Excuse for Dressing up is fine'/witch.rpg DX by Feenicks
Last edited by kylekrack on Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

I was originally going to try starting up a new project, but upon thinking about things a bit I think I'm going to try and finish up WitchX for this. It's the only one of the Witch_ games to not be complete, and I'd rather not that be the case.

[For those who didn't play the demo I released last year: WitchX is a gacha-flavored RPG, in which you go through stages, fighting rounds of enemies and summoning them to your side. It's a bit more involved than that statement implies, and it'll probably get even more involved that by the end of this month, but we'll see where things end up]
Attachments
witchX0062.png
witchX0062.png (9.96 KiB) Viewed 4546 times
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

For anyone interested in participating but unsure about committing to making an entire game this month, I could use an artist/writer! These are the roles I'm struggling with the most, currently, so here's my invitation to anyone who wants to collab.

If you're interested but not into collaborating, let me know if there's anything else I can do to facilitate making participating easier. Anything like idea prompts, help with scripting, etc. I want everyone to feel able to submit a game. Never hesitate to PM me here, or Discord, or publicly! I'm happy to be a resource in any way I can.

28 Days Remain
Ps. I love my wife
Gaplan
Red Slime

Post by Gaplan »

Yeah, I'm in :kamina: and I can help you with some art, kylekrack, in exchange for some help with coding :hurr:
sorry for bad english :v:
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Gaplan wrote:Yeah, I'm in :kamina: and I can help you with some art, kylekrack, in exchange for some help with coding :hurr:
How good are you with maptiles? I think that's what I struggle with the most.
Ps. I love my wife
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

kylekrack wrote:
Gaplan wrote:Yeah, I'm in :kamina: and I can help you with some art, kylekrack, in exchange for some help with coding :hurr:
How good are you with maptiles? I think that's what I struggle with the most.
I can supply you guys with some maptiles. I don't have anything else to contribute to a collab aside from some Halloween-themed art I was going to use back in 2015.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
dantedynamite
Red Slime

Post by dantedynamite »

Oh, man, it's spooky time again. How exciting! I have a bunch of exams this month, but I should be able to put something small together in time. I'm also open to working with somebody if anybody wants to work in a team, especially if you need another programmer!
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

well my computer crashed, but then i recovered the data, so hopefully I can put together something in time!
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Good luck to you all! Remember that a small, 5-minute long game is better than no game at all!
Ps. I love my wife
TailBit
Slime

Post by TailBit »

I'll see if I can get a small game done, noticed this a bit late, but will do this mostly for some hexagon grid practice..

I do however have a bright idea for a dark game :P but will have to rush pretty hard it seems .. we'll see :D

Edit: Forgot to say, making it a Horror and using GameMaker Studio 2
Last edited by TailBit on Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

I believe in you! And I look forward to seeing how you make hexagons work in the ohr!
Ps. I love my wife
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

It's a surprise update!

Prepare for a game where you MIGHT end up at level 99... Though it's technically got ~more~ content this time around, from what I've been told the game's actually FASTER to get into. Double the spooks to summon, five times the levels.
Attachments
Wait this doesn't look familiar at all.
Wait this doesn't look familiar at all.
halowoof0012.png (56.91 KiB) Viewed 4289 times
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Any game is improved 369% just by inclusion of Natalie.
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

We have our first submission! Thank you, Fenrir. It sounds like you really boosted the content. Double the spooks?? Incredible.

Who will be next

Probably not me, I'm nowhere near done. Bonus points to the person who submits last.
Ps. I love my wife
Gaplan
Red Slime

Post by Gaplan »

Sorry guys, I couldn't finish my game in time for this contest :( You know, overestimated myself as usual, but I think I will push it to somewhat playable state and release it :kamina:

Though it will be short most likely.
sorry for bad english :v: