Liquid Metal King Slime
Who has tried mouse controls? 
 PostWed Jul 31, 2019 1:32 am
Send private message Reply with quote
So I am curious: who has tried out the built-in mouse controls for games in the nightly wip builds?

I haven't heard much feedback about it, and I am kinda assuming that nobody is using it?

A Scrambled Egg

PostWed Jul 31, 2019 2:17 am
I've used it and I think it's excellent for map movement. Battles are a little clunky but not bad. I plan on promoting it as part of Walthros but I've got to implement it for all of my custom menus first to see how feasible that is.
Super Walrus Land: Mouth Words Edition
Metal Slime

PostWed Jul 31, 2019 3:19 am
Because people nowadays are more likely to assume that games make use of the mouse, I've enabled it in Vikings Grin

I've noticed that the built-in path finding tends to find walls that don't have the correct passability set fairly frequently. Suffice to say this has sped up a good portion of my wall-checking progress. My hunch is that mouse functionality MIGHT actually make for a better presentation on Android/tablet systems?
To friends long gone, and those I've yet to meet - thank you.
Liquid Metal Slime

PostWed Jul 31, 2019 6:18 am
Implementing mouse controls is one of my UI goals for the near future. Specifically, I want to enable long-distance interaction where you can use it to trigger an NPC without having to be directly next to it (similar to point-and-click adventure games), though you'd still need to be close enough for the interaction to make sense.

I think having an alternative control scheme that uses WASD would encourage mouse interaction (not just movement) a bit more. Implementing that as an option is also one of my goals. I can give you better feedback then.

Speaking of movement and UI, how well does the OHR handle pixel-based movement and interaction with the mouse? I still hope to implement a more free-flowing movement style than the current tile-based system to mimic the modern 2D adventure game, though that's also why I want to implement WASD movement. WASD movement with mouse interaction seems to improve a game's control flexibility. Being able to access an NPC in spite of its alignment to the tile is still something I hope for. I assume the mouse can handle that?
Place Obligatory Signature Here
Liquid Metal Slime

PostWed Jul 31, 2019 7:13 am
I implemented them in OHRodents mostly for the pun factor and confirmed they work. I don't care for them, but I've always been a keyboard person. If it didn't involve hitting Tab so often, I'd probably try to browse the web primarily with the keyboard.
In the past, I apologized when I was in the right because I was afraid of peer pressure. For this, I apologize.

I must be cruel, but to be kind; that bad may begin, and worse be left behind.
-Prince Hamlet of Denmark
Metal King Slime

PostWed Jul 31, 2019 8:26 am
Pepsi Ranger wrote:
Speaking of movement and UI, how well does the OHR handle pixel-based movement and interaction with the mouse?

It doesn't. The OHR doesn't support pixel-based movement yet, unless you script it (see kylekrack's pixelwalker). Long term goal.
Liquid Metal King Slime

PostWed Jul 31, 2019 9:47 am
Right now I am pretty happy with how mouse walking on the map works. Less so with the mouse support in battles and menus. They work, but not as well as I would like, for example, targeting spells and items in battle feels clunky still. So does scrolling up and down in the save/load screens (especially with two-finger touch right click drag)