Post new topic    
Editing enemies in (specific) old rpg files causes segfault? 
 PostSat Jul 20, 2019 5:23 am
Send private message Reply with quote
Hey y'all! Used to have an account on here years ago, locked myself out of it recently, now I've got a new username (who could I be ooo spooky) blah blah blah

Anyways, I stumbled upon a bug when trying to work on a slightly older game of mine (early 2018? i think?) in the latest nightly.

When I try to edit any enemy, custom segfaults with no other information :/ It doesn't happen in new rpg files, and it only happens in certain old ones.

I've uploaded some examples of ones that crash here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iNDFMWg-KEotkRul0GeG6y3yvij5lsIx
and some that don't crash here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jri5ksTzMvByTeFFOtCaGTSAXpqMCtsK
(tried to find small ones because my internet speed is bad :[ editing a blank enemy still triggers it, as does adding an enemy)

Also, I'm editing this on Debian Sid, for what its worth :p

Thank you so much, take care y'all ~
Slime Knight
Send private message
 
 PostSat Jul 20, 2019 7:53 am
Send private message Reply with quote
Nothing is compatible between two different versions! Never ever! With this modern stuff, it's always like that. I would recommend to use the OHR version with that you have started your project until it is finished.
Liquid Metal King Slime
Send private message
 
 PostSat Jul 20, 2019 11:09 am
Send private message Reply with quote
No that is only half right.

An old engine version is never compatible with newer games, but old games should always be upgradable to newer versions of the engine.

That being said, bugs happen!

Let's see if we can get a stack trace that will shed some light on the crash.

I would like to try and reproduce the crash myself. I won't have time this morning, but I will try when I can.

Thank you for reporting it!
Liquid Metal King Slime
Send private message
 
 PostSat Jul 20, 2019 1:00 pm
Send private message Reply with quote
Alright!

I am definitely able to reproduce. In antediluvian.rpg I can go into the enemy editor. I see only enemy 0, and it seems blank. When I try to edit it crashes.

I got the crash message:

crash wrote:

Aborting due to runtime error 6 (out of bounds array access) at line 113 of enemyedit.bas::ENEMY_EDITOR


I can definitely fix this-- however, what I really want to know is how many enemies were in this rpg file before? Did it have none? or were there some that may have been corrupted or deleted somehow?
 
 PostSat Jul 20, 2019 4:06 pm
Send private message Reply with quote
There was no enemies in that RPG file before, I just picked the smallest ones I could find on my hard drive :v

As far as I can tell, there's no enemies missing from any of the files that break
Liquid Metal King Slime
Send private message
 
 PostSat Jul 20, 2019 7:57 pm
Send private message Reply with quote
Aha! This is almost exactly the same as a bug that TMC fixed last week in the item editor. It only happens to games that have less than 8 elementals enabled, which is why it only affected some of your games and not others.

I'll work on the fix, and you can test it out tomorrow with tonight's nightly build

EDIT: Done! Try re-downloading a nightly build tomorrow, and thank you again for reporting the bug!
 
 PostSun Jul 21, 2019 12:11 am
Send private message Reply with quote
Oh awesome! I would have never guessed that was causing it.

Thank you so much Smile)
Metal King Slime
Send private message
 
 PostSun Jul 28, 2019 2:54 am
Send private message Reply with quote
Oops, I should have thought to check whether that crash happened anywhere else when I fixed the first case. I just had a look and found a 3rd instance, but only in a debug menu. (Also, I'm to blame for introducing that bug in the first place)
Display posts from previous: