CataclysmDDA

Talk about things that are not making games here. But you should also make games!

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

User avatar
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:23 pm
Location: Somewhere in America

Post by MorpheusKitami »

Let's build a base here, but first, let's make sure its clear.
User avatar
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime
Posts: 6212
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:07 am
Location: Home
Contact:

Post by Spoonweaver »

Clearing the farm and searching for food should be the first thing on the list of things to do.
Then you should gather up diesel and make sure your get away bus is in good working order.
You should leave the dead wait of a guy here.
User avatar
BMR
Metal King Slime
Posts: 3310
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:46 pm
Location: The Philippines
Contact:

Post by BMR »

Day 01 - 1409h

We get to work checking the place out. But first, I go ahead and siphon the diesel from the harvester and into the school bus. Who knows if we'll have to make a quick escape. Inside the garage, I also find a roll of duct tape. That's always useful, I can do a whole lot of things with it. There's also a book about making arrows, and while I have no idea how to do any sort of archery, it might prove to be useful later on so I grab it as well.

From the house and the garage, we move to the barn. There's a cow there, albeit a rather hungry-looking one. It was trapped inside its enclosure and all the hay it had there was finished. I grabbed some from another stall and fed it. Looks like I now have a pet cow. Good source of food later on, and perhaps a daily source of milk, so huzzah! There are also some chickens here, so looks like we'll have some eggs as well.

Image

In one of the stalls, I manage to find a scythe and a shovel. Contrary to what tv and comics will say, I know that a farming scythe makes for a pretty terrible weapon. A shovel though, that thing is basically a battle axe. And, well, you know, a shovel for digging as well. There was also a hedge trimmer in the same stall, but it's out of gas so I can't use it. If I do get some gas though, I guess it could work as a poor Ash's chainsaw. Groovy.

In the next stall, I find a couple of whips. I guess I could use them? Might be useful for attacking zombies from a distance, but I'm not really too well-versed with them. If nothing else, they'll be a good source of leather. For now, I'll leave them here. Time to move to the silo.

On the way to the silo, I run into another cow. I feed this one as well, and now it looks like we've got two cows! That's more milk for us, huzzah! I lead it back to the barn and pen it up in one of the stalls as well to keep it safe. Well, as safe as living on a farm in a zombie apocalypse can me, I guess.

Inside the silo, I see that there's a bunch of wheat stored. Unfortunately, it's behind a locked area, and I can't find a way in. If I do though, that'll be a great source of food.

Just as I'm musing about how to make flour though, we hear some footsteps. Friendlies? Zeadlies? If we're going to stay here, I guess I should check it out.

Huh, it wasn't zeadlies, it was cowlies! We have three cows now! I look to the north, and see that there's a flock of sheep as well! And a bunch of pigs! And more cows and couple of horses!

...

...

...and giant cockroaches...

...angry-looking giant cockroaches...

Image

If those things are anything like regular roaches, there'll be a swarm of them ready to overrun this place. However... they don't seem to be too dangerous, so maybe I can fight them off with my shovel and rich guy's gun? Having all these animals here is too good to pass up, and there's no way I'll be able to load them into the bus.


>What should I do?_
Attachments
008.png
008.png (43.03 KiB) Viewed 1586 times
009.png
009.png (45.65 KiB) Viewed 1586 times
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
User avatar
Bob the Hamster
Liquid Metal King Slime
Posts: 7449
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:34 pm
Location: Hamster Republic (Ontario Enclave)
Contact:

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Train the sheep for war, it is the only way!
User avatar
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:23 pm
Location: Somewhere in America

Post by MorpheusKitami »

Looks like we're eating cockroach tonight.
User avatar
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime
Posts: 6212
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:07 am
Location: Home
Contact:

Post by Spoonweaver »

Build a fire
Kill a pig and practice butchering
work on barricading the farm
-herd all the animals into defensible areas
-use wood and anything else you can find to reinforce your walls as best you can.
-abandon the sheep if the giant roaches prove to be too hostile

make sure the crazy guy is only a danger to himself and not also you
make sure not to sleep int he same room as him
Last edited by Spoonweaver on Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
BMR
Metal King Slime
Posts: 3310
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:46 pm
Location: The Philippines
Contact:

Post by BMR »

Day 01 - 1605h
Bob the Hamster wrote:Train the sheep for war, it is the only way!
MorpheusKitami wrote:Looks like we're eating cockroach tonight.
Come, my woolly brethren! To BAAttle we go! Chaaaarge!



Day 02 - 0116h
Spoonweaver wrote:Build a fire
Kill a pig and practice butchering
-abandon the sheep if the giant roaches prove to be too hostile

make sure the crazy guy is only a danger to himself and not also you
make sure not to sleep int he same room as him
MWAHAHAHA! I AM THE COCKROACH SLAYER!

*cough*

ahem.

Well.

So I managed to beat the cockroaches to death with the shovel, and the rich guy shot a few of them as well. My arms are pretty banged up though, those things fought back something fierce. My left arm in particular is rather sore, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a hairline fracture somewhere there. Definitely not going to be doing that again any time soon. One good thing though, is that while I was attacking the roaches, a few dogs came to my aid. I'm guessing they belonged to whoever owned this place before, and they were guarding the sheep. Looks like I have a few pet dogs now.

After beating them to death, he (reluctantly) helped me to butcher the roaches. Managed to get quite a few large chunks of chitin from them as well. Great stuff. Sturdy, yet quite light. Lots of things I could do with it.

It's well past midnight though, and I am famished. I'll cook some of the meat in the stove in the house, and then I'll hit the sack. Though, I may want to find a good blanket or something, it is literally freezing out here, and I don't want to catch frostbite. Definitely not sleeping in the same room as the other guy though. He seems a bit... unhinged.



Spoonweaver wrote: work on barricading the farm
-herd all the animals into defensible areas
-use wood and anything else you can find to reinforce your walls as best you can.
Day 02 - 1301

Cripes, it's past noon already! And here I thought I'd get up at the crack of dawn to get to work on the farm. I guess the entire ordeal had me more tired than I thought. Still, best to get to work. Well, after a breakfast of roach meat, I guess. I need to get some water as well, I'm really, really thirsty. On that note, while fighting the roaches yesterday, I found that there was a small pond on the grounds. At least I won't run out of water, but it's a pain going there and back each time I need water. Maybe I can cannibalize the harvester and use its fuel tank as a water container? Maybe later though. Time to work.

Image

Aw, hells. One of my cows is dead. It seems a zombie got into the barn and attacked it. A lot of the stalls are damaged, but thankfully the sheep I got into the stalls last night are safe. Also thankfully, it seems the cow managed to kill the zombie before it died. Your sacrifice shall not be in vain! I need to reinforce this place better so that this sort of thing doesn't happen again. But I am severely lacking in actual tools to do the work...

For now though, I drag the zombie corpse out and burn it. I have no idea if these things get back up, but I'm taking no chances. The cow corpse, I butcher as best as I can. It's hard to do it on the ground, and would be better if I could hang it up, but I don't have any of the equipment needed to do so. I do wonder if I should eat that meat though, considering it was killed by a zombie...


Day 02 - 2208

Image

Well, the sun has gone down, and it's been a relatively productive day. Cleaned up a bunch of the corpses, burnt the remains of the roaches and zombies that were here, cleaned up the animals, etc... There are still a few wandering around in the field outside, but as the area is bounded by a fence I'm relatively sure they won't be able to escape. For now though, I should get to bed early, as I don't want a repeat of this morning-- or rather, this noon, where I overslept. I do wonder what I should do tomorrow though. There's still lots to do here in order to make it livable, but it would be better if I had some proper tools to work with.



>What should I do?_
Attachments
010.png
010.png (48.39 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
011.png
011.png (44.16 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
User avatar
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:23 pm
Location: Somewhere in America

Post by MorpheusKitami »

Go to bed early. Tomorrow check the place for anything we can reinforce. Take apart unnecessary furniture if need be. We should also see about draining the gas tank of that military vehicle we found, we might need the gass if the roaches and undead were aroused by the sound of gunfire.
User avatar
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime
Posts: 6212
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:07 am
Location: Home
Contact:

Post by Spoonweaver »

Yea secure this area as best you can tomorrow and work on preparing for a trip back to the military vehicle. Might be better things there to turn into tools or hold water on top of the increasingly valuable fuel in the military vehicle. But considering all the food at this farm there's no way you can abandon this place unless it's completely overrun. Might want to load a few bags of grains and such in the bus in case you have to make a quick get away.
User avatar
BMR
Metal King Slime
Posts: 3310
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:46 pm
Location: The Philippines
Contact:

Post by BMR »

Day 03 - 0436h
MorpheusKitami wrote:Go to bed early. Tomorrow check the place for anything we can reinforce. Take apart unnecessary furniture if need be. We should also see about draining the gas tank of that military vehicle we found, we might need the gass if the roaches and undead were aroused by the sound of gunfire.
Spoonweaver wrote:Yea secure this area as best you can tomorrow and work on preparing for a trip back to the military vehicle. Might be better things there to turn into tools or hold water on top of the increasingly valuable fuel in the military vehicle. But considering all the food at this farm there's no way you can abandon this place unless it's completely overrun. Might want to load a few bags of grains and such in the bus in case you have to make a quick get away.
Right, up nice and early for a change. Time to start reinforcing this place as best as I can. The animals are relatively secure, what with the fence around the area, so I won't round them up into the barn just yet. I do check up on the ones that are already in the barn though. They seem safe enough, so I set about milking a couple of the cows. Fresh milk, tastes great. Though... maybe I should see about pasteurizing the milk first... Then again, they do seem healthy enough, so what the hell, I go ahead and drink the milk.

Once I'm done with that, I spend some time moving some furniture around to barricade one the entrances to the barn, to keep the animals safe. Mostly, I use display racks and lockers from the silo, though some tables from the house work just as well. Granted, none of that stuff is really all that sturdy, but it should deter most casual attempts to get inside.


Day 03 - 1017h

Well, that took a few hours of hard work. I drink some more milk and eat some roach meat to quiet my stomach down.

With that done, might be time to head back for that military vehicle and siphon its fuel. Who knows when we'll need to leave this place in a hurry, so I go ahead and load some grain into the bus. Or... at least, I try to, but even using this shovel, I can't get the door to the silo open, and that's where all the grain and wheat are stored. If I could just get a hacksaw or something. Oh well, no matter.

For now, time to head back east to that military vehicle.


Day 03 - 1325h

Well, that was completely uneventful. It took around an hour and a bit to get back to the hazardous waste disposal area. Another fifteen minutes or so was spent siphoning the diesel and filling up the bus. I still cry seeing that truck. If only we could get it outside, it would be perfect But alas, it's not to be.

With the bus fueled up, it's time to head back. It's a decent amount of fuel, and provided we don't go crazy with it, should last us a couple days or so. Not really sure about the amount, but by how much I loaded into it, it's probably about half full. Or half empty, depending on which way you look at things.

Image

Around halfway back to the farm, I come to the crossroads again. Now that I know where the farm is, maybe I should explore to the south a bit? Who knows what I might find there. Alternatively, I could head back to the farm and explore the surrounding area on foot. Or, keep on going west and into town to search for supplies or equipment.


>What should I do?_
Attachments
012.png
012.png (60.05 KiB) Viewed 1521 times
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
User avatar
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime
Posts: 6212
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:07 am
Location: Home
Contact:

Post by Spoonweaver »

Might as well explore some while in the bus! You can explore the farm on foot when you're done exploring in the bus.
Might want to stay on the edge of town and not actually go fully into town to try to search for supplies and tools.
User avatar
Bob the Hamster
Liquid Metal King Slime
Posts: 7449
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:34 pm
Location: Hamster Republic (Ontario Enclave)
Contact:

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Yes, go at least far enough to see how bad things are in town. Then you will know if town is a threat or a resource
User avatar
BMR
Metal King Slime
Posts: 3310
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:46 pm
Location: The Philippines
Contact:

Post by BMR »

Day 03 - 1425h
Spoonweaver wrote:Might as well explore some while in the bus! You can explore the farm on foot when you're done exploring in the bus.
Might want to stay on the edge of town and not actually go fully into town to try to search for supplies and tools.
Bob the Hamster wrote:Yes, go at least far enough to see how bad things are in town. Then you will know if town is a threat or a resource
Right, I can explore to the south later. For now, let's see how bad things are in town. From what I saw from a distance, it's a relatively smaller place, not like the one we originally fled from. Hopefully, there won't be to many zeds around. Time to check the place out then.

Day 03 - 1630h

Image
Ok, that scouting mission was a relative success. Mostly in that I know what we're up against now. Less in the sense that we got anything tangible out of it.

We drove through town, with me focusing on the road and avoiding the wrecked cars and zeds, while the rich guy (I should really get to asking him what his name is... I mean, sure, it was on the work order, but who reads those things?) kept an eye out regarding the surroundings. It was indeed a really small town. Just five houses, and two apartment buildings. I'm guessing it's mostly a rest area for people passing through? Who knows.

While evading the zombies though, I wasn't able to turn the bus completely around, and had to take a detour. There was a minefield in the center of town (thankfully it was marked with very clear signs, or I would have missed it) so I had to make a quick left so that I wouldn't run into it. That took me south of town, along a road that led through the woods. On the plus side, I was able to loose the zeds that were chasing the bus. There were more in town than I expected, and there's no way I'll be able to outrun them on foot if I were to go in now. Maybe at night.

For now though, I continued exploring south of the town. I eventually came to a broken bridge. Near the bridge, there's a boat rental place, and there's a small raft there that looks like it'll float just fine. There's also an amphibious truck that can definitely carry a whole lot of cargo, but it's out of gas. There are also a couple vending machines in the rental store, but I don't have any cash on me. I guess I could smash them open, but that might set off an alarm that'll attract zombies.

On the bridge there's a van and an armored car. There was nothing in the van, but the armored car did have a couple of machine guns on it that still had some ammo. Not sure how useful they'd be considering how loud those suckers are, but might still be good in a pinch. The armored car does still have some diesel in it, but after trying to hotwire it, seems like the battery is completely shot. If I could find some jumper cables, I could hook it up to the bus. Alternatively, just stick with the bus that's been serving us well enough thus far.

I should see about heading back to the farm soon. I'll be able to maneuver the bus easily enough here, unlike back in town where I had to keep dodging all sorts of things. Now that I know the proper path, it won't be hard to get back to the farm. Alternatively, I could hang out here for a while, and then go into town on foot once the sun sets. It'll still be a few hours though. Maybe I could go for a swim?


>What should I do?_
Attachments
013.png
013.png (64.64 KiB) Viewed 1502 times
Last edited by BMR on Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Being from the third world, I reserve the right to speak in the third person.

Using Editor version wip 20170527 gfx_sdl+fb music_sdl
User avatar
MorpheusKitami
Slime Knight
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:23 pm
Location: Somewhere in America

Post by MorpheusKitami »

Search the town at night very carefully, but make sure you're healed up and the rich guy is back at base.
User avatar
Bob the Hamster
Liquid Metal King Slime
Posts: 7449
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:34 pm
Location: Hamster Republic (Ontario Enclave)
Contact:

Post by Bob the Hamster »

If the rich guy's name turns out to be Richard I will be furious ;)
Post Reply