Calling all testers! Need help solving a crash!

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Calling all testers! Need help solving a crash!

Post by Bob the Hamster »

We want to track down and fix a crash bug

This crash happens when you compile and imports scripts using the latest nightly builds.

This has only been seen so far on Windows, and it definitely doesn't happen on all windows.

I would very much appreciate it if anyone who has time can download the latest nightly and try to reproduce it, and report your findings in this thread.

If you don't want to switch to nighlies for realsies, isntall the nightly in a different folder and only test it on a backup copy of your game.

Your help is needed, and will be appreciated!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

If you have a Windows nightly build from the last two months, if the engine crashes a crash reporter window should pop up. If so, please send the report, and ideally add your name or email and type in a short description. There's a good chance we might want to contact you to ask for more information.

There are more mysterious crashes I wouldn't mind some help with!

Foxley and Chalkflower both reported crashes when importing music or sound effects (even importing ogg files). Foxley has had it happen occasionally (but hasn't mentioned it in a year), Chalkflower said it happened every second time when importing a file (but also hasn't mentioned it in a long time). I would be very interested to know whether anyone else had had crashes while importing audio.

Someone, working on a game called BroadTrip.rpg, has used the crash reporter to send in two distinct mysterious crashes, one while exiting game.exe, and the other happened in game.exe because the tileset was invalid (maybe after editing the map or the tileset in Custom?). Whoever this was, I wonder whether you have more information about, or whether either has happened more than once.

A year ago sotrain515 got the odd crash while switching collections in the slice editor. Anyone else seen that?

There are a bunch of other crashes in nightly builds which aren't so mysterious, but haven't fixed yet. Sorry.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

Got the latest nightly.
Compiled scripts on it 10-20 times
imported several full mp3's at full quality, mid quality and low quality
imported several sound fx

no crashes
Bird
Slime Knight

Post by Bird »

Here was a crash when browsing through MIDI files (way) too quickly. Maybe the preview playback overloaded the MIDI device? Might be a local problem of a 19 year old machine. No problems for modules at that point.
Script importing was fine. Share your script file here so that we can try your specific script out!
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Thanks to both of you!

The MIDI crash is something that we've been suffering from ever since the Windows port. It's somewhere between SDL_mixer and the Windows MIDI synth. Unfortunately the last time I tried I couldn't reproduce it anymore, which makes it very hard to fix, although I know it's still happening for other people. I should try to reproduce it on other computers.

In good news, SwordPlay has just helped me to track down and fix a mysterious rare random crash bug (bug 2036) when switching between slice collections in the editor (sotrain and SwordPlay have both complained of it).
Last edited by TMC on Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:53 am, edited 2 times in total.