Walthros: Renewal - Now available

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Thanks. Filling out this town with more NPCs now and then there's one mini dungeon to finish before this month's demo.
Attachments
Y'all like REFERENCES?
Y'all like REFERENCES?
FrogToad.PNG (10.85 KiB) Viewed 2931 times
Kefyrra
Red Slime

Post by Kefyrra »

Is that a gosh dang Frog and Toad reference? I still have the treasury, it's honestly still one of my favorite all-time books.

And I started playing the demo by the way. It looks and plays great so far. I especially love how lived in and much more alive Beta City feels now. More RPGs should have towns with apartment buildings, there's just a strange, cozy charm to them.

Really hyped for this, even more so since the original Walthros is what introduced me to the OHRRPGCE and its community in the first place.
Last edited by Kefyrra on Sat May 09, 2020 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Thanks, I hope it lives up to expectations! I'm trying hard to make the world feel as lived-in as possible, with people having ordinary problems that take up more time than any global threat.
Attachments
New monster type for the new dungeon
New monster type for the new dungeon
WobbleRider.PNG (10.8 KiB) Viewed 2823 times
Mapping is complete for the last area before the new demo's released! Just need to write a couple cutscenes and build the boss.
Mapping is complete for the last area before the new demo's released! Just need to write a couple cutscenes and build the boss.
Ship.PNG (14.06 KiB) Viewed 2828 times
Leigh and Suwanee's apartment, the final room I'm designing for Bayswater Village. Next up: A spooky mini dungeon. Once that's done the new demo will be released!
Leigh and Suwanee's apartment, the final room I'm designing for Bayswater Village. Next up: A spooky mini dungeon. Once that's done the new demo will be released!
Room.PNG (11.97 KiB) Viewed 2838 times
Working on a sprite set of Leigh. She's Suwanee's roommate and a terrible slob. One of those "Based on someone I know in real life" characters.
Working on a sprite set of Leigh. She's Suwanee's roommate and a terrible slob. One of those "Based on someone I know in real life" characters.
Leigh.PNG (4.06 KiB) Viewed 2851 times
Eat fresh vegetables to boost your stats in battle!
Eat fresh vegetables to boost your stats in battle!
Farm.PNG (16.19 KiB) Viewed 2855 times
Late in the game players will access a cooking minigame with matches throughout the world. Up until then, some of the restaurants you come across will be getting hyped.
Late in the game players will access a cooking minigame with matches throughout the world. Up until then, some of the restaurants you come across will be getting hyped.
Food.png (13.57 KiB) Viewed 2878 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Sat May 23, 2020 2:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

The May demo is complete and off to play testers! Once they've had a week to play it it will be uploaded for everyone to check out.
Attachments
Walthros History: Here's a look at the same location in the upcoming game and in the cancelled 2008 remake, contrasted with a similar location in the original 2002 version.
Walthros History: Here's a look at the same location in the upcoming game and in the cancelled 2008 remake, contrasted with a similar location in the original 2002 version.
DigSites.png (267.6 KiB) Viewed 2749 times
Walthros History: Here are some of the character graphics from the original game, an unreleased 2008 remake, and the current game, Walthros: Renewal. Everyone gained a lot of weight in the new game.
Walthros History: Here are some of the character graphics from the original game, an unreleased 2008 remake, and the current game, Walthros: Renewal. Everyone gained a lot of weight in the new game.
Heroes2008vs2020.png (34.03 KiB) Viewed 2777 times
While testers are checking out the demo, I'm working on some new monsters for the next zone.
While testers are checking out the demo, I'm working on some new monsters for the next zone.
YukPlus.PNG (2.71 KiB) Viewed 2783 times
A hidden boss monster that just wants to have a good time.
A hidden boss monster that just wants to have a good time.
BossWobbler.png (2.36 KiB) Viewed 2810 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Thu May 28, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Cooking minigame! Damn, I should have seen that one coming.
And it seems a sensible idea to be building the player up to the minigame for a while instead of introducing it early, when it could be more of a distraction from the core.
It all looks great.

A new demo! How many demos are you planning on? Seems like you've got time for a lot more if the release is so far away and you're putting them out pretty regularly.

I wishlisted it on Steam. You didn't ask people here to? (Saw it on twitter.)
Last edited by TMC on Thu May 28, 2020 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

This will be the final public demo, aside from bug fixes players might find. I wanted enough of the game out there for players to get a taste of just about all of its systems, and this covers a good amount of the first of four chapters.

Cooking game will be available to players once they get an airship, so not until later in the game, and it will give them reasons to revisit all the old towns (each major town is host to a different round of the competition.)
Last edited by The Wobbler on Thu May 28, 2020 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Ah, makes sense. I had actually forgotten that that's how demos work in the real world. Or that you're selling this, apparently.

And you have to collect your own ingredients around the world?
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Food's a big part of the game's world:

-Healing items are food.
-You gain XP by going to dinner with friends.
-Burpin' Bros is food driven.
-Cooking Minigame.
-One of the Friend Quests involves finding special ingredients for a lady who runs a restaurant, she makes you test dishes to sample when you find them that permanently boost Bob's stats.

My idea for the cooking minigame is that players will have full access to all the ingredients needed, but they'll also be able to find/unlock additional items to get a boost.
Attachments
Testing some code for an upcoming area - Bob gets sweaty and tired as he gets closer to lava.
Testing some code for an upcoming area - Bob gets sweaty and tired as he gets closer to lava.
walthrosrenewal0010.gif (625.63 KiB) Viewed 2711 times
kylekrack
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by kylekrack »

Wow that looks really good! Does the heat affect gameplay at all, like affecting battle stats or something? Or is it purely cosmetic? Either way, it's a good touch.
My pronouns are they/them
Ps. I love my wife
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Thanks! Some areas will be too hot to get through so players will have to find alternate routes or a way to drain the lava.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Ha, that actually looks kind of disturbing -- an accurate depiction entering a lava-filled chamber. The non-realism of every other game has always stood out to me/broke immersion.
But it would be surprising if it had no effect on you, if it was possible to fight battles in such an area.
Last edited by TMC on Sun May 31, 2020 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Latest demo is available here, on Steam, and on Itchio!

Steam
Itch.io
Slime Salad

What's New:

-Added Retry option when you’re defeated in battle.
-Added Continue option to title screen to load last autosave.
-Added additional secret treasures to find on the World Map.
-Balance adjustment: KO’d heroes now recover 1 HP after battle in Normal Mode.
-Completed Bayswater Village zone.
-Completed optional dungeon (Grounded Ship).
-Added Bayswater side quests.
-Added Dinner with Friends scene to Bayswater.
-Fixed animations on some healing items.
-Fixed a bug with Salom’s Flip Flop attack.
-Adjusted costs of weapon upgrades.
-Adjusted cost of Salom’s multi-hit attacks.
-Added limited visibility to Alpha City Ruins.
-Added transparency effects throughout game.
-Added Burpin Bros arcade machine to Bayswater (In final version this will be moved to Flopsberg)
-Expanded hero bios and bestiary.
-Updated some hero and NPC graphics.
-Fixed uncommon glitch during Blue Shrine emergence scene.
-Fixed a visual glitch with Bunny Soda revive item.
Last edited by The Wobbler on Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

On to some new places
Attachments
Bad Bunnies
Bad Bunnies
Bunny.PNG (5.8 KiB) Viewed 2542 times
I'm redrawing all of the game's rabbit sprites to make them fatter and taller.
I'm redrawing all of the game's rabbit sprites to make them fatter and taller.
Rabbit.PNG (1.72 KiB) Viewed 2552 times
Work in progress: A punk toad wearing colorful nostril makeup.
Work in progress: A punk toad wearing colorful nostril makeup.
Toad.png (7.37 KiB) Viewed 2569 times
My daughter drew some monsters for me, I'm going to include them in the game. Here's #1.
My daughter drew some monsters for me, I'm going to include them in the game. Here's #1.
EZ3rCdBX0AEOMTo.png (239.21 KiB) Viewed 2592 times
Salom in space?? Working on sprites for Walthrosian Seals wearing hazard gear as they work to contain a spreading lava flow.
Salom in space?? Working on sprites for Walthrosian Seals wearing hazard gear as they work to contain a spreading lava flow.
walthrosrenewal0013.png (11.23 KiB) Viewed 2621 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I love the daughter included monster.
Made my day!
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

kids got talent