Walthros: Renewal - Now available

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

RMZ
King Slime

Re: Walthros: Renewal - Now available

Post by RMZ »

Didn't wanna put this on Steam where your customers can see it, had an issue with a soft lock. After the cutscene here Dinosaur Super is stuck.

I checked your RPG file and there is no wall where I'm standing, if I had to guess, since I'm using the run faster feature maybe I got misaligned right when the cutscene triggered. I won't be able to resume until a patch comes up. I don't believe Fenrir had this issue on his playthrough, but he also might not have been using the fast feature.

I hope you don't mind an assist so you can quickly fix this, as I went down a rabbit hole trying to figure it out. I put this script in your loadgame script and it booted me up correctly when I reloaded.

put hero(me, (hero pixel x(me) + 10) / 20 * 20, (hero pixel y(me) + 10) / 20 * 20)

Should solve all your problems I'd expect.
Attachments
20230318160233_1.jpg
20230318160233_1.jpg (153.49 KiB) Viewed 951 times
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I haven't been able to reproduce but yeah it's probably related to speed stuff. Do you know if you were using the run button at the same time?
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

I can't recall, maybe. I use it off and on, moving faster is a nice luxury and you created like three tiers of it which was unexpected. I bet I was running and then the NPC for the scene was triggered.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Got to Part 3 and really loved the stories and such with Salom, Sam and Bob's parts.

Regarding Bob's part. I personally didn't use Suwannee very much as I thought she was weak and this part was super difficult for me. I think my main struggle was against the hammerhead sharks. If they had like 100 less HP and maybe a lower chance to stun it would probably be perfect balancing, I'm not sure if anyone else has the same issue. I died probably 12-15 times out there and wound up turning on the after battle MP and HP stuff, but up until that section I did not. I did turn it back off to enjoy Part 3.

Was tough picking a team to move forward with. I'm currently quite pleased with a Bob, Salom (he's the best fighter hands down), Hank and Amber team. Part of me wants to swap out Amber for Sam, but she just has better moves than her even if they are quite expensive. I can see myself swapping her out for Sam later.

I continue to be massively impressed and have been having a great time.
Bluefeather42
Red Slime

Post by Bluefeather42 »

This might be a dumb noob question, but did you have any difficulties with working with relatively large graphics/sprites?

It's a great "Friday Night" game, BTW!
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Bluefeather42 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:31 pm This might be a dumb noob question, but did you have any difficulties with working with relatively large graphics/sprites?

It's a great "Friday Night" game, BTW!
I had to be a lot more careful with characters clipping through overhead tiles since the sprite size (generally 34 x 40 for most sprites, larger for dinosaurs) is so different from the 20x20 tiles. I (and testers) caught most of them, but a few slipped through that players are finding now.

I like games zoomed in and characters big. Lots of indie games now, especially higher resolution ones, use tiny, tiny hero graphics and it's hard for me to follow.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Finished the game at a little over 9 hours. I only did SOME of the side content. Overall it was a very fun ride. I emailed you my last findings for bugs. Hope you experience great success with the game!
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

New patch is up on Steam and Itch:

-Added option to reduce screen shake in cutscenes.

-Run button can no longer be used in combination with "Faster move speed on map" setting enabled. Speed became so high that it became possible for graphics to misalign and some cutscenes to glitch.

-Minor adjustments to some cutscene visuals.

-Minor map tile fixes.

-Balance adjustments:
-Grant: Weight Up now stuns enemies in addition to dealing damage.
-Woo: Critical hits are more likely to land.
-Suwanee: Increased damage dealt by poison attacks.
-Amber: Increased damage dealt by Tylomelania summon.
-Hank: Increased HP recovery from Tusk attack.
-Salom: Head Knock is more likely to stun enemies now.
-Mariella: Equivalent buffs based on heroes she's imitating.
-Roland: Boosted damage against enemy types depending on weapon upgrade path.
-Sam: Increased healing power of Pep Up spell.
-Bob: Increased cost and effect of Focus spell.
RMZ wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:07 pm Finished the game at a little over 9 hours. I only did SOME of the side content. Overall it was a very fun ride. I emailed you my last findings for bugs. Hope you experience great success with the game!
Thanks for review, regarding act 3 being shorter it's almost all side quests that open up there. Every playable character has their own plot in act 3 but they're optional, in addition to all of the Gus/Lydia/Mac/Miffany stories concluding there. If you didn't get the True End, it expands the finale quite a bit.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

That's really cool you took the time to make multiple endings. It's very apparent you made the sidequests with such care so it's cool that they mattered. I do kinda wish I could have found out from the game and not the developer as it could happen with other players possibly, and if the true ending is as good as I suspect they could be missing out. I'll reach the true ending and update the review after.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

It's a reward for players who did everything (or almost, you can skip a couple quests) in the game, I didn't expect all or even most players to see it. Going by play stats of people who have finished the game, 80% of them saw the true end so far. That will probably decrease as it's out longer.
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

It wasn't hard to get the items needed, and honestly those scenes getting those items were painful. The Bob's parents scene... man that hurt. Finished all the other recommended content, enjoyed the true ending and the additional layer of closure.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Another day another patch!

-Minor map tile fixes.
-Removed Extra XP/Gold Earned options from Settings, combining options was causing unexpected errors. May add back later with some changes. For now, enemies on easy mode have received XP/Gold boosts.
-Rebalanced enemy speed stats when battles are set to Active Mode.
-Bug Fix: HP/MP was not being updated on main menu display after healing outside of battle.
-Adding loading screen that pops up in rare circumstances where the game appears to hang for a second.
-Added some fixes for Auto Battle mode.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

A small patch tonight!

-Fixed a typo.
-Updated equipment settings for temporary character L.
-Bug fix to one buggy room in Grey Shrine.
-Fixed an issue with stuck text after healing outside of battle depending on party composition.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Happy birthday Bob!

April 2nd, 1992, was the date I drew Sky Flyers #1, the very first comic starring Bob Surlaw. I was eight years old and a fish with a lot of chin was the funniest thing in the world! To celebrate that day, anyone who launches Walthros: Renewal on 4/2 will receive some free, unique equipment.
Attachments
walthrosrenewal0000.png
walthrosrenewal0000.png (8.55 KiB) Viewed 752 times
Bluefeather42
Red Slime

Post by Bluefeather42 »

The Wobbler wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:23 pm Happy birthday Bob!

April 2nd, 1992, was the date I drew Sky Flyers #1, the very first comic starring Bob Surlaw. I was eight years old and a fish with a lot of chin was the funniest thing in the world! To celebrate that day, anyone who launches Walthros: Renewal on 4/2 will receive some free, unique equipment.

Happy Birthday, Bob!