Walthros: Renewal - Now available

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Re: Walthros: Renewal

Post by The Wobbler »

A couple more options added: Players can now change difficulty level without having to go to an inn, enemy respawning can be turned off, and the move speed adjustment has been moved to this menu.
Attachments
Farm Fiends
Farm Fiends
Farms.PNG (52.24 KiB) Viewed 1418 times
Options.PNG
Options.PNG (10.9 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Working on a boss monster. When Hank was young, he was afraid that this thing lived under his bed.
Attachments
Waldragon.png
Waldragon.png (7.48 KiB) Viewed 1412 times
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

I really like the cartoon style. I think, honestly, your whole game should be like that. It works really well.
The part about the cartoon characters becoming cartoons seems confusing to me.
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

dat fang
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Spoonweaver wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:46 pm I really like the cartoon style. I think, honestly, your whole game should be like that. It works really well.
The part about the cartoon characters becoming cartoons seems confusing to me.
At this point I kind of wish this had been the style for the whole game, it's been a lot of fun to work with. It's way too late to go back and change everyone without adding another minimum six months though, and I really want to be done this year.

I think in the context of the scene it works better; it's a TV show that players have likely seen in-game already (in Bob's chapter, not Sam's.) You're right that use of the word "cartoon" is a little weird here, I think I should rewrite that.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (7.54 KiB) Viewed 1388 times
Spoonweaver
Liquid Metal King Slime

Post by Spoonweaver »

The Wobbler wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:38 pm It's way too late to go back and change everyone without adding another minimum six months though, and I really want to be done this year.
Yea I originally wasn't going to say anything because of this. Seemed an odd topic to bring up considering there's seemingly nothing to be done about it.

And that surlaw looks fantastic
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Here's a major game play addition: Players can now switch between standard mode (each character/enemy takes one action per turn) and active mode (characters/enemies act when their ready meter fills). Thanks James for the script!

I also fixed some messy camera work in the opening scene, looks a lot cleaner now.
Attachments
Working on Woo's introduction scene.
Working on Woo's introduction scene.
walthrosrenewal0061.gif (183.36 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
Adjust.PNG
Adjust.PNG (41.54 KiB) Viewed 1337 times
Hedera
Slime Knight

Post by Hedera »

The Wobbler wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:45 pm Here's a major game play addition: Players can now switch between standard mode (each character/enemy takes one action per turn) and active mode (characters/enemies act when their ready meter fills). Thanks James for the script!

I also fixed some messy camera work in the opening scene, looks a lot cleaner now.
Whoa, this is amazing. How are you going to balance the different modes?
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I replayed the current content in both modes and rebalanced a whole bunch of stats, basically changing the Speed stat for every enemy and hero in the game. I think both work pretty well now. Some things are going to feel different; speed buffs/debuffs make a pretty big difference in Active mode while they don't matter a whole lot in Turn Based. I think that's fine though.

----

2/27/22 - New demo build available

A newly rebuilt Walthros: Renewal demo is now available, replacing the older version that was available last year. This demo launches players right into the action starting with the game's third mission, the Blue Shrine expedition. After that, players can explore Beta City, make some friends, play an arcade game, and fight some monsters in the Bayswater Woods.

While shorter than the previous release, this is a more feature-complete demo, featuring both turn based and active battle modes, selectable color options, customizable difficulty settings, additional animations, and improved performance. Players start with a variety of healing and attack items to make their introduction to Walthros a little smoother.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Thinking of letting the player customize Bob's color.
Attachments
Bobs.png
Bobs.png (25.48 KiB) Viewed 1239 times
RMZ
King Slime

Post by RMZ »

Will this mess up your portraits since you do expressions with them?

Hoping for a grayscale version as an homage to Gato Succio.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

To get all the text box pictures working properly I'm going to need to modify Bob's 16-color palette. I wasn't sure if there was a way to do that with scripting, I've reached out to James.

Edit: I wasn't going to do it but I went ahead and tried with a few boxes and liked this too much. This is a big time investment but I'm replacing all of the text box portraits with larger images. They're easier to show details with and make the text boxes themselves less cramped.
Attachments
Portraits.png
Portraits.png (78.92 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
There is a black and white mode too
There is a black and white mode too
walthrosrenewal0062.png (6.64 KiB) Viewed 1219 times
SwordPlay
Chemical Slime

Post by SwordPlay »

that looks very natural and easy-to-parse!
there really should be in-built options, like theme/format for textboxes, maybe like some kinds of templates
"Imagination. Life is your creation."
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Thankfully there's the text box import/export function, so I was able to reposition every portrait with a find/replace for its coordinates and it worked for all except the largest ones that required a little extra tuning. Also removed all the extra spacing from the old versions that way.
Attachments
Portrait revisions coming along well. Most of these characters have multiple expressions not shown here, 180ish images total are updated so far out of 371.
Portrait revisions coming along well. Most of these characters have multiple expressions not shown here, 180ish images total are updated so far out of 371.
Portraits.png (65.81 KiB) Viewed 1175 times
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

All of my text editing and portrait updates are done so it's back to new content! Here's a monster sprite.
Attachments
Mimic.PNG
Mimic.PNG (16.6 KiB) Viewed 1104 times