Walthros: Renewal - Now available

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Some of them will be "talk to this friend in each location they appear in," others will be more involved but basically it gives characters who aren't part of the main story their own longer stories. They'll all be optional but doing them fleshes out the world and gives you stuff. In Gus's case since he's a miner being his friend gets you some free weapon upgrade materials (that's the next system I've got to work on)

Only a limited number of named NPCs are part of this system but it feels like a good way to expand the cast without needing to make everyone connect to the main plot.
Last edited by The Wobbler on Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

No dialogue options with Wrong Choices?
Hmm, such a meter coming up after talking to an NPC is a way to indicate a reoccurring character, telling the player to remember them.

I suppose it's nice to be rewarded for talking to NPCs rather than for a backtracking in dungeons.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I don't want to have any choices that will lock players out of content but there will definitely be dialogue choices between good answers and dumb ones.

The characters with Friend Levels will also be listed in the game's Side Quest menu, along with their current level and your last interaction. I need to finish writing that script but I can post a look at that soon.

Edit: That menu/script's all set now.
Attachments
PenguinFriends.jpg
PenguinFriends.jpg (65.93 KiB) Viewed 13588 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Cool, choices that lock players out suck.

This friendships menu is pretty amusing. It's part useful, part ribbing the player for needing to look this up (but let's admit it, in long RPGs I forget a lot of this stuff)
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I've gotten worse and worse about remembering what's going on in games, especially side content. I hope it's both helpful and amusing to players!
Attachments
egg.png
egg.png (24.07 KiB) Viewed 13570 times
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Working on the weapon upgrade system. Each hero's weapon can be upgraded five times and then transformed into a new type, each of which follows a different stat/material upgrade path.
Attachments
UpgradeSystem.gif
UpgradeSystem.gif (535.83 KiB) Viewed 13552 times
Foxley
Metal Slime

Post by Foxley »

Using shops for a weapon upgrade system instead of scripting one from scratch, that is quite awesome.
Last edited by Foxley on Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Thanks! It's got some issues to work out but I'm just about there.

Testing animation for a mouse NPC. Walking around Beta City, looking for something to eat, finding a burger place. There's some slight clipping at one point, I know! The file's too big to attach here but you can see it on Twitter: https://twitter.com/bobsurlaw/status/11 ... 4267505664
Attachments
Walthros20190016.gif
Walthros20190016.gif (474.28 KiB) Viewed 13499 times
Costumed mascots are funny and I want to have them pop up in cities throughout the game. Here's Beefy Croaks, mascot of the Burger Frog restaurant chain.
Costumed mascots are funny and I want to have them pop up in cities throughout the game. Here's Beefy Croaks, mascot of the Burger Frog restaurant chain.
FrogMascot.gif (2.04 MiB) Viewed 13504 times
A visit to the blacksmith. Need to fill out this room with more stuff but everything works!
A visit to the blacksmith. Need to fill out this room with more stuff but everything works!
Blacksmith.gif (1.76 MiB) Viewed 13508 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

More dudes and stuff.
Attachments
Started building the lobby of Beta City's apartment building. Lots to work on here but this is the basic layout.
Started building the lobby of Beta City's apartment building. Lots to work on here but this is the basic layout.
Walthros20190055.png (8.2 KiB) Viewed 13459 times
A visit to the old schoolhouse.
A visit to the old schoolhouse.
School.png (19.03 KiB) Viewed 13470 times
The Beta City General Store has everything you need: Shirts, hats, tiaras, oversized rings, capes, VHS tapes, lamps shaped like ducks, large ceramic eggs.
The Beta City General Store has everything you need: Shirts, hats, tiaras, oversized rings, capes, VHS tapes, lamps shaped like ducks, large ceramic eggs.
GeneralStore.png (22.99 KiB) Viewed 13475 times
Character redesigns: Super Walrus Man finally gets his own mask.
Character redesigns: Super Walrus Man finally gets his own mask.
Walrus.png (2.25 KiB) Viewed 13483 times
A Beta City NPC wrestling with his past.
A Beta City NPC wrestling with his past.
Wrestler.gif (1.26 MiB) Viewed 13492 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Stuff, things.
Attachments
SealReader.png
SealReader.png (46.12 KiB) Viewed 13419 times
Another floor of the apartment building.
Another floor of the apartment building.
Apartment.png (14.87 KiB) Viewed 13453 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

The way the maps are built, it looks fun to explore.
I'm still surprised that outsize walkabouts can work so well. Is it tricky to design the maps around that? Something you've totally got the hang of after a while?
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Getting the bigger sprites to work with the maptiles isn't too bad, I just make sure every edge of an object has ten pixels to the side of it so NPCs/heroes can walk up to it without overlapping. All standard NPCs are 34x40 so it's easy to plan around that; some are much larger but they don't walk around so they just need to be carefully set up.

Heroes and NPCs overlap in weird ways when they interact facing east/west, so I scripted it so that they back away from each other in that situation. It's not perfect but it works pretty well.
Attachments
The kitchen. This is a shared space for everyone who lives in Beta City's eastern apartment complex.
The kitchen. This is a shared space for everyone who lives in Beta City's eastern apartment complex.
Kitchen.png (21.27 KiB) Viewed 13374 times
Bob's apartment before and after a shopping spree. That might look like a toaster next to his TV but it's actually a video player!
Bob's apartment before and after a shopping spree. That might look like a toaster next to his TV but it's actually a video player!
BobApartment.png (37.66 KiB) Viewed 13388 times
These bean plants first appeared in C. Kane. I cleaned up the graphics and stuck them all over the apartments in Beta City.
These bean plants first appeared in C. Kane. I cleaned up the graphics and stuck them all over the apartments in Beta City.
001.png (16.94 KiB) Viewed 13415 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

The apartments are done! And this is the game's 500th text box. Comparison to other game totals:
Walthros (Original) - 2166
C. Kane - 758
Ghost's Towns - 507
Kaiju Big Battel - 5064
Attachments
Watching TV with friends.
Watching TV with friends.
LydiaTV.png (23.94 KiB) Viewed 13336 times
Text Box #500
Text Box #500
LydiaTV.png (24.9 KiB) Viewed 13349 times
Are you a Lydia or a Bob?
Are you a Lydia or a Bob?
LydiaApartment.gif (2.25 MiB) Viewed 13369 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

I'm a little behind on Walthros work, but the final cutscene for the game's second mission is complete.
Attachments
The original game's look at this same area for comparison. The shape is totally different but we've still got Beta City, Blue Shrine, the forest path, and the Ancient Library (hidden in trees in the old game, on an island in the new one.) Bob no longer ha
The original game's look at this same area for comparison. The shape is totally different but we've still got Beta City, Blue Shrine, the forest path, and the Ancient Library (hidden in trees in the old game, on an island in the new one.) Bob no longer ha
OldWalthros.png (39.16 KiB) Viewed 13306 times
Here's my first pass at the world map for Walthros: Renewal's first few missions.
Here's my first pass at the world map for Walthros: Renewal's first few missions.
WorldMap.png (51.16 KiB) Viewed 13308 times
Just need to finish some flavor tiles for this room and next up is the first major dungeon.
Just need to finish some flavor tiles for this room and next up is the first major dungeon.
Lab.png (20.35 KiB) Viewed 13331 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Back to work on Walthros after a week off for vacation/hospital/Goose Game.
Attachments
Never be afraid to cut content that isn't working. I'd written a coworker for Bob who worked at this desk and couldn't find a good use for the character. He was too adversarial, then too bland, then too expository.  He had to go.
Never be afraid to cut content that isn't working. I'd written a coworker for Bob who worked at this desk and couldn't find a good use for the character. He was too adversarial, then too bland, then too expository. He had to go.
Desk.png (23.09 KiB) Viewed 13230 times
Casual acquaintances in the old office.
Casual acquaintances in the old office.
Dekalb.png (24.1 KiB) Viewed 13241 times
Here's a long-winded conversation about nothing. Hope you like these, the game's full of them!
Here's a long-winded conversation about nothing. Hope you like these, the game's full of them!
Dekalb.gif (2.26 MiB) Viewed 13266 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.