Page «  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  »
A Scrambled Egg

PostSun Aug 18, 2019 1:47 pm
Send private message Reply with quote
Some of them will be "talk to this friend in each location they appear in," others will be more involved but basically it gives characters who aren't part of the main story their own longer stories. They'll all be optional but doing them fleshes out the world and gives you stuff. In Gus's case since he's a miner being his friend gets you some free weapon upgrade materials (that's the next system I've got to work on)

Only a limited number of named NPCs are part of this system but it feels like a good way to expand the cast without needing to make everyone connect to the main plot.
Super Walrus Land: Mouth Words Edition
Metal King Slime

PostSun Aug 18, 2019 11:18 pm
No dialogue options with Wrong Choices?
Hmm, such a meter coming up after talking to an NPC is a way to indicate a reoccurring character, telling the player to remember them.

I suppose it's nice to be rewarded for talking to NPCs rather than for a backtracking in dungeons.
A Scrambled Egg

PostSun Aug 18, 2019 11:29 pm
PenguinFriends.jpg
I don't want to have any choices that will lock players out of content but there will definitely be dialogue choices between good answers and dumb ones.

The characters with Friend Levels will also be listed in the game's Side Quest menu, along with their current level and your last interaction. I need to finish writing that script but I can post a look at that soon.

Edit: That menu/script's all set now.
Metal King Slime

PostTue Aug 20, 2019 10:13 am
Cool, choices that lock players out suck.

This friendships menu is pretty amusing. It's part useful, part ribbing the player for needing to look this up (but let's admit it, in long RPGs I forget a lot of this stuff)
A Scrambled Egg

PostTue Aug 20, 2019 1:59 pm
egg.png
I've gotten worse and worse about remembering what's going on in games, especially side content. I hope it's both helpful and amusing to players!
A Scrambled Egg

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 4:17 pm
UpgradeSystem.gif
Working on the weapon upgrade system. Each hero's weapon can be upgraded five times and then transformed into a new type, each of which follows a different stat/material upgrade path.
Metal Slime

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 6:14 pm
Using shops for a weapon upgrade system instead of scripting one from scratch, that is quite awesome.
A Scrambled Egg

PostThu Aug 22, 2019 2:38 pm
Walthros20190016.gif
FrogMascot.gif
Costumed mascots are funny and I want to have them pop up in cities throughout the game. Here's Beefy Croaks, mascot of the Burger Frog restaurant chain.
Blacksmith.gif
A visit to the blacksmith. Need to fill out this room with more stuff but everything works!
Thanks! It's got some issues to work out but I'm just about there.

Testing animation for a mouse NPC. Walking around Beta City, looking for something to eat, finding a burger place. There's some slight clipping at one point, I know! The file's too big to attach here but you can see it on Twitter: https://twitter.com/bobsurlaw/status/1164546784267505664
A Scrambled Egg

PostMon Aug 26, 2019 2:10 pm
Walthros20190055.png
Started building the lobby of Beta City's apartment building. Lots to work on here but this is the basic layout.
School.png
A visit to the old schoolhouse.
GeneralStore.png
The Beta City General Store has everything you need: Shirts, hats, tiaras, oversized rings, capes, VHS tapes, lamps shaped like ducks, large ceramic eggs.
Walrus.png
Character redesigns: Super Walrus Man finally gets his own mask.
Wrestler.gif
A Beta City NPC wrestling with his past.
More dudes and stuff.
A Scrambled Egg

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 1:20 pm
SealReader.png
Apartment.png
Another floor of the apartment building.
Stuff, things.
Metal King Slime

PostTue Sep 03, 2019 3:55 am
The way the maps are built, it looks fun to explore.
I'm still surprised that outsize walkabouts can work so well. Is it tricky to design the maps around that? Something you've totally got the hang of after a while?
A Scrambled Egg

PostTue Sep 03, 2019 2:09 pm
Kitchen.png
The kitchen. This is a shared space for everyone who lives in Beta City's eastern apartment complex.
BobApartment.png
Bob's apartment before and after a shopping spree. That might look like a toaster next to his TV but it's actually a video player!
001.png
These bean plants first appeared in C. Kane. I cleaned up the graphics and stuck them all over the apartments in Beta City.
Getting the bigger sprites to work with the maptiles isn't too bad, I just make sure every edge of an object has ten pixels to the side of it so NPCs/heroes can walk up to it without overlapping. All standard NPCs are 34x40 so it's easy to plan around that; some are much larger but they don't walk around so they just need to be carefully set up.

Heroes and NPCs overlap in weird ways when they interact facing east/west, so I scripted it so that they back away from each other in that situation. It's not perfect but it works pretty well.
A Scrambled Egg

PostSat Sep 07, 2019 1:52 pm
LydiaTV.png
Watching TV with friends.
LydiaTV.png
Text Box #500
LydiaApartment.gif
Are you a Lydia or a Bob?
The apartments are done! And this is the game's 500th text box. Comparison to other game totals:
Walthros (Original) - 2166
C. Kane - 758
Ghost's Towns - 507
Kaiju Big Battel - 5064
A Scrambled Egg

PostFri Sep 13, 2019 6:07 pm
OldWalthros.png
The original game's look at this same area for comparison. The shape is totally different but we've still got Beta City, Blue Shrine, the forest path, and the Ancient Library (hidden in trees in the old game, on an island in the new one.) Bob no longer ha
WorldMap.png
Here's my first pass at the world map for Walthros: Renewal's first few missions.
Lab.png
Just need to finish some flavor tiles for this room and next up is the first major dungeon.
I'm a little behind on Walthros work, but the final cutscene for the game's second mission is complete.
A Scrambled Egg

PostMon Sep 23, 2019 6:29 pm
Desk.png
Never be afraid to cut content that isn't working. I'd written a coworker for Bob who worked at this desk and couldn't find a good use for the character. He was too adversarial, then too bland, then too expository. He had to go.
Dekalb.png
Casual acquaintances in the old office.
Dekalb.gif
Here's a long-winded conversation about nothing. Hope you like these, the game's full of them!
Back to work on Walthros after a week off for vacation/hospital/Goose Game.
Page «  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  »