Walthros: Renewal - Now available

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Into a new zone. This is the game's second full dungeon and the last one planned for the upcoming demo.
Attachments
Alpha.png
Alpha.png (11.33 KiB) Viewed 13483 times
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

There's going to be all sorts of stupid TV shows to watch in Walthros: Renewal. Here's one of them!!
Attachments
PepperTitle.PNG
PepperTitle.PNG (53.35 KiB) Viewed 13447 times
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

And now a look at a minigame. Just started building this so it's rough but Bob gets to dig up some dirt.
Attachments
Walthros20190051.gif
Walthros20190051.gif (154.56 KiB) Viewed 13414 times
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

I've been silent, but there's sooo much to like here (not just that last minigame).

And an archeological dig! Just what I always wanted from Walthros! (Not joking)
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Thanks!

If all goes according to plan, the free Walthros: Renewal demo will be available on 2/2!
Attachments
A museum full of things from other games I've made. The three on display here are probably familiar to a few of you! A little tacky maybe, but less so than cameos from a dozen unrelated indie games.
A museum full of things from other games I've made. The three on display here are probably familiar to a few of you! A little tacky maybe, but less so than cameos from a dozen unrelated indie games.
Museum.png (22.45 KiB) Viewed 13330 times
SalomHype.png
SalomHype.png (17.88 KiB) Viewed 13357 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Just about done with the demo content. Need to balance one more boss, put together the post-boss cutscene, and add one more battle backdrop.
Attachments
When you're trying to retrieve a wizard orb and something gross falls out of the ceiling and attacks you
When you're trying to retrieve a wizard orb and something gross falls out of the ceiling and attacks you
BookYuk.png (24.76 KiB) Viewed 13327 times
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Here we are: The Walthros: Renewal demo is finished and off to play testers! Look forward to a public release on 2/2.
Attachments
EndDemo.png
EndDemo.png (18.62 KiB) Viewed 13310 times
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Just working on a couple more fun bonuses to see if I can get them done in time for the 2/2 demo launch. You can buy and watch movies in-game, so I'm building an environment for The Mr. Pepper Show.
Attachments
Mini game time! Using scripts written by James, this arcade game appeared previously in the Kaiju game with a different visual style.
Mini game time! Using scripts written by James, this arcade game appeared previously in the Kaiju game with a different visual style.
Walthros20190048.gif (1.36 MiB) Viewed 13235 times
Walthros20190026.gif
Walthros20190026.gif (2.83 MiB) Viewed 13267 times
EPEOL_zX0AEgUxu.png
EPEOL_zX0AEgUxu.png (16.05 KiB) Viewed 13275 times
Last edited by The Wobbler on Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Gasp! I forgot to mark my calender!

Wow... the game doesn't start at all the way I expected. Very cinematic.
Well, it's 2am, but I had to play through the intro. This is great. Though I like the dig site even better, tone- and graphics-wise. Especially those NPCs, the NPCs are totally going to make this game.

Interesting that you went with a slow walk cycle but a relatively fast walk speed. I have to get used to this after after so many years of OHR games being the same.

Bug reports:

(I notice that the summons don't move fully off the screen before disappearing, I've got to fix that)

I notice that if you try using the mouse on the ESC menu, in some situations you walk around the map without seeing what you're doing. And other misc minor glitches.

Typo: "TERMINATION PROTOCAL"
Last edited by TMC on Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Thanks for checking it out! I'm still messing with the walk cycle speeds, but since so many characters float or walk at slow speeds I think the current settings work well. It's been fun to have options for that!

Regarding that mouse comment, I've actually noticed that on rare occasions the player continues moving when the menu's open even if I'm using the keyboard too. It's rare and I can't reproduce it easily, so this one's been a mystery to me for a while now.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

Gotta just be a missing "suspend player"

... Or a "suspend player" and "resume player" pair in two different scripts that get nested
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

It might also be that there's a split second between one menu closing and the next opening when the player isn't suspended, if you're relying on the menus to pause gameplay rather than using "suspend player". There is some flickering when switching between certain submenus, which is what I meant by glitches. I still haven't figured out what causes the movement while in the menu.
Last edited by TMC on Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob the Hamster
Lord of the Slimes

Post by Bob the Hamster »

The cut-scene where Lydia parks the hover-car made me giggle with delight. Great slice work!
The Wobbler
A Scrambled Egg

Post by The Wobbler »

Thanks! I'm working on the next zone now, here's a work in progress monster and the area's title card.
Attachments
Ultisol.png
Ultisol.png (27 KiB) Viewed 13162 times
EQI_04CWAAYDY4B.png
EQI_04CWAAYDY4B.png (10.62 KiB) Viewed 13160 times