Ridiculous Games Contest 2019

Make games! Discuss those games here.

Moderators: Bob the Hamster, marionline, SDHawk

Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

Oh, uh I'm giving everyone an extra day. I had to spend more time than I wanted to trying to make my own "gamelist", so I'm just giving everyone an extra day.

Just remember to send it to me when you're finished, unless you have another service (like itch.io or something) hosting the game for you.

Enjoy.~
Last edited by Idontknow on Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Working as intended!
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

Would it even be an OHR contest without extensions at this point?
Remeber: God made you special and he loves you very much. Bye!
Mogri
Super Slime

Post by Mogri »

charbile wrote:whoa, gamelist down? oh darn maybe we can see an extension (thanks Mogri)
It was just the downloads that weren't working, right? If there's something still not working, I don't know about it.
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

If downloads are fixed don't worry about sending me anything, I will use the page to link to each game's respective SS page when I get home from work, however.
Working as intended!
Feenicks
Metal Slime

Post by Feenicks »

[game]6 Curses[/game] is here.
Attachments
curse0040.png
curse0040.png (6.8 KiB) Viewed 4590 times
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

I decided to make use of the one day extension to make a bit of a balance patch to OHRodents in response to some criticisms I received in the one day it was out.
  • Nathan's Bananarang, Sour Shock, Slush Slash, Chocolate Rain, and Licorice Whip have each had their MP costs dropped by 1.
  • Licorice Whip now has .5 power and hits twice, rather than 1.5 power hitting once.
  • Lab Rats are now weak to fire, since Lode Rats were weak to water so that Misa's spells would be extra effective against them and Rattatatatta were weak to electricity for similar reasons relating to Pikahcu. Mages are most effective against monsters from the same game, so the one enemy from Adventures of Bill is weak to the element that only the mage from Adventures of Bill uses as a skill instead of an item.
  • Enemies' attack spells can fail if heroes' elemental resists are good enough, but still don't do elemental damage despite their appearance. In particular, Dr. Mouse should now be immune to both Power Shot and SpreadShot.
  • Item autosort is now based on item ID rather than the default mode, so that it actually sorts things, even if in sometimes inconvenient ways.
  • Grape now explicitly mentions that his job is trap removal because the idea that someone whose special attack is to Dismantle machinery wasn't obvious enough.
  • Pickles are now a one-penny item instead of a one-nickel item, since they only heal 1 HP and there's still only one battle where an enemy can poison you.
  • Rice's Lunge now has 20% bonus damage and no randomization, as if it were a normal attack that always rolled high on randomness and happens to ignore Armor.
  • Three one-time use NPCs have been added to the game - Save Game Fairies, two of whom can be accessed before you meet Chuck E. Jesus.
Overall, the game is still hardest at the very beginning, and some characters are permanently missable.
Last edited by Nathan Karr on Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

almost there, thanks for waiting for me

i have thursday off, so expect my entry by then at the latest

uh guys

i think i went a tad overboard.

just a little

maybe take ohr battle royale times 3 or 4 (maybe 10)

at least now i have finally experienced that thing i've noticed some of you have when making a contest game that you, excuse my sentimentality, fall in love with and never want to let go. could probably work on this for the next month, but nah, just a couple more days. On the flip side, everyone who plays and gives me feedback i'll give official play-tester status and update the game. it's the first time in a long time where i don't know how to balance it, think it requires a few plays i don't have the time for. we're reaching ohr game making levels i didn't think were possible
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

charbile wrote:uh guys

i think i went a tad overboard.
Oh no, you didn't put a cash shop in it, did you? :v:
charbile
Metal Slime

Post by charbile »

Don't tempt me, FEN

thought i had time to get it more or less finished up today but naturally the universe doesn't want it to happen, which only adds to my determination. having to drive out of town on my day off to pick people up too stingy to pay for overnight parking at an airport.

i'll force myself to release it tonight as i feel like i'm holding things up (actually quite shamed and sorry), but be warned: if you want the full experience fresh, then i'd advise waiting a bit longer. Otherwise, you get to catch my game without its pants on and playtest it along with me. first contest game i feel like actually polishing and finishing up proper. curses and curse this ridiculous contest

edit.............

come with me and you'll be
in a world of pure imagination
Last edited by charbile on Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

Do what I did with Spooks and Summons. Release it first for the contest and let it float on it strengths and weaknesses - then turn around and release a bugfix/balance patch in two weeks or so that adds a hidden ending. [s]And then again a year later with added content for the lulz.[/s]
TMC
Metal King Slime

Post by TMC »

Congratulations to the victorious!
Idontknow
Slime Knight

Post by Idontknow »

Alright, hammered together that "official page" for the contest. Enjoy my high school level html skills. ;)

Also, I'm taking votes now, so be sure to post or send them to me by the 30th, or I'll have to hand out participation medals to everyone. (They're actually coins I found on the floor behind my toilet, so you really don't want them.)

https://momwolf.neocities.org/rgc2019.html
Last edited by Idontknow on Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Working as intended!
Nathan Karr
Liquid Metal Slime

Post by Nathan Karr »

PVP RPG
Grafix 5/10, some of the classes are weird and gross looking and I find that off-putting
Funny 2/10 "Berserker" being a buff Bob the Hamster gives me a mildly amused smile
Weird 8/10, some of the classes are weird and gross looking and that's cool
Gamefun 5/10, novel but not especially deep
Overall 8/10, the whole is more than the sum of its parts. It's a ridiculous idea and probably the least-broken game in the contest.

TWOROUND
Grafix 3/10, but the roughness is really a big part of the charm
Funny 10/10, Game literally makes me laugh out loud
Weird 6/10, combat being Paper, Scissors, Rock isn't all that weird but the presentation sure is
Gamefun 2/10, the combat just feels arbitrary and there's no real indication that grinding "easy" battles leads to any improvement in power or HP so it quickly becomes "win several random PSR moves in a row or continue from last save point, one mistake means death"
Overall 8/10, I main scissors

FENNECS
Grafix 8/10, eeeee
Funny 8/10, eeeee
Weird 4/10, eeeee
Gamefun 7/10, eeeee
Overall 9/10, exactly the ridiculous game we need; hard to go wrong with foxes

6 CURSES
Grafix 10/10, this is always where Feenicks's games shine; not to my tastes, but I respect the craftsmanship
Funny 5/10, aside from the names given to the monsters nothing out of the ordinary humor wise
Weird 2/10, even less going on in the weirdness department
Gamefun 7/10, above-average in difficulty and in balance for an RPG, lots of nice touches
Overall 8/10, it's a Feenicks game with lots of fancy scripts and lots of fancy graphics

HATI'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE
Grafix 9/10, masterfully crafted sprites of some cute animal girls that I absolutely love looking at, lots of nice little flourishes, there's just a bunch of places where its rushed demo status really shows through (like all three girls being labeled "Mila" on the housekeeping animation screen)
Funny 10/10, really hit it here especially with the way Natalie is written
Weird 7/10
Gamefun 4/10, I see the skeleton of a fun game here and watching the D&D dice roll feels fantastic, all the battle animations are great, that sort of thing, it's just woefully incomplete
Overall 8/10, afraid that the sum of its ridiculous parts doesn't quite gel together in the demo but I'm ABSOLUTE PSYCHED to see the finished version

OHRODENTS
Grafix 2/10, I could have done better at upscaling some of Fnrrf's 8-bit tiles and put more effort into the various heroes' battle graphics
Funny 9/10, I can't help laughing at my own jokes
Weird 6/10, the concept started mostly as meta humor of me noting how many old OHR games had rodent protagonists then deciding to stir that together with the number of games where some sort of rodent is an early-game enemy encounter; not deeply strange, but I added some of my own personal weirdness to it
Gamefun 8/10, this is literally the kind of game I like to play...just less of it, like getting a hamburger off the kid's menu to save a dollar or two
Overall 9/10 I think I made something very good this time, especially within the context of my history with the Terrible/Ridiculous Games Contests
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

Okay let's get this show on the road, starting with...

TWOROUND

This.. was not what I expected. I don't actually know WHAT I was expecting. This game probably would have won in a previous iteration of the Terrible Games Contest, and that's saying something.

Basically you play rock-paper-scissors against unusual and strange opponents. Sometimes you win! SOMETIMES. Most of the time the computer seems to read your inputs, and knows the correct counter to whatever you've played. There's the ILLUSION of strategy here, but you're only allowed ONE mistake! Thus the name, "Two Round".

The graphics are intentionally bad, the gameplay's no fun, and the music.. exists. I might've given an extra point here if it was actual Vaporwave, but - no, no, it's fine. I'm just pleased I'm not being bombarded with a 5 second loop of Frozen's "Let it Go". The real draw here is the NPC dialogue, which has a few gems, and a fight against a certain OHR celebrity. The downside? I can't make it to the ending. I keep losing to a dog. I throw paper, he responds with scissors. I use Scissors, he throws rock. Rock is countered with paper, except for a few times where he decides to prolong the inevitable and throw rock. You'd think I would try and trick him out with paper.. but nope, here comes scissors again.

Overall 4 / 10

As far as a concept game goes for a ridiculous game, I think they NAILED it, but everything about this just rubbed me the wrong way. It's just not fun. Not as a game. As an EXPERIENCE though, yes, check this out.
Attachments
This part's actually kind of hilarious.
This part's actually kind of hilarious.
tworound0000.png (7.11 KiB) Viewed 4412 times
Fenrir-Lunaris
Metal Slime

Post by Fenrir-Lunaris »

OHRODENTS

So it's been a while since I played a game by.. Ronintendo? Karr? Natilie? Well whatever flavor they are, they're small rodent flavored, and this game couldn't have been made by anyone else.

As far as a concept goes, this one's pretty simple. Many RPGs start out with a group of adventurers gathering at an inn to accept their first quest and slay a bunch of single-digit-HP mutant rats or whatever in the basement. This is pretty much that, except you're the rats. And you are as weak and horribly under-powered and woefully under-prepared for EVERYTHING this game throws at you. Graphically it's fine. The "faux 8-bit" aesthetic is fine for a game that's maybe 30 minutes tops, and it's a medium that Nathan's comfortable in. There's nothing here that's going to be jaw dropping, but it's not an eyesore to look at, and I can clearly tell where the edges of paths are. The rooms are fairly big though. All three of them.

First of all it uses the default OHR battle engine, but there's some thematic changes and gimmicks running here. Your attacks all do between 1 and 3 damage tops, and you've got like 7 HP max by the end of the game. Moreover, many of your attacks automatically target an enemy, which only adds to the chaotic and out of control nature of the battles. As far as building the tension of being a bunch of scared, panicked mice desperately fighting for their lives - nailed it. The last battle though.. oh boy does it drag on. The saving grace is that nearly every healing item has a certain buff associated with it, and repeated uses stack in effectiveness, so you can become quite sturdy over time. The secret is that certain weapons have the added effect of STEALING items, which is how you'll be able to build up a stock of consumable buffs to stack on your party.

Overall 6 / 10

This is a solid entry, but there's a few things about this that stick out and rub me the wrong way. First off, it's really REALLY easy to die. And sure, I get that this is a game about tiny little rodents, but maybe it would've been more appropriate to start off fighting cockroaches in the grass so the player has an opportunity to understand the game's gimmick and themes, rather than dropping them into the thick of it. Having those save fairies helps, but oh boy.
Attachments
Wonder what happens if you give him a Thunderstone?
Wonder what happens if you give him a Thunderstone?
OHRodents0002.png (9.55 KiB) Viewed 4410 times
Last edited by Fenrir-Lunaris on Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.